Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3, Penguins 2 (OT) - Sid Half Asses Another OT Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Some fans **

It seems to be consistently on here .
neh, you got that wrong, Sid is by and large rightfully considered the best player in the world here. we criticize him sometimes, but no one from our board has any doubts Sid is anything but greatest player of last 15 years...

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I thought this was our deepest roster in a while coming into the season. Something is just off with the team right now though. I'm not sure if it's early season disinterest from a veteran Cup winning group or just a flawed roster.

The team doesn't look as fast and doesn't push the play nearly as much as they used to. The defense in particular looks like it could use more mobility and ability to push the play.

I hate the current line combos up front too.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The crazy part is you really believe this ****..

You realize there have been multiple players like Sprong who come and go because their one move doesn’t work in the NHL. I think you believe Sprong will be like a 25 goal scorer immediately if moved and given 15-18 mins a night.

Sprong would. Easily. But whatever. Keep making assertions based off 8:20 a night and no PP time.

Sprong playing 15-17 a night and getting PP time would easily score 25. Like it's funny how easy he would score 25.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Try...
Brassard - Crosby - Rust
Guentzel - Malkin - Kessel
Hagelin - Sheahan - Hornqvist

Please...

....no.
Rust-Sid is oil and water.

that third line would not score.

The 2nd line would be a defensive nightmare.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Sprong would. Easily. But whatever. Keep making assertions based off 8:20 a night and no PP time.

Sprong playing 15-17 a night and getting PP time would easily score 25. Like it's funny how easy he would score 25.

High as my hopes are for Sprong, posts like these... there's no basis for it. None. It makes zero sense before he either start finding twine when he does have opportunities, or he starts to look individually dangerous. Just looking like he belongs on NHL ice does not make you a potential 25 goal scorer.

Reactions: Riptide

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Would you actually argue anything I said about him?

That's he's never looked this bad? I mean, he has. He's made lazy plays before and will again in the future. He's been at his best when the games matter. That's all that matters to me.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Seriously? I think it's possible, but easily? Jake didn't even score 25 last year.

Reactions: Riptide

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I thought this was our deepest roster in a while coming into the season. Something is just off with the team right now though. I'm not sure if it's early season disinterest from a veteran Cup winning group or just a flawed roster.

The team doesn't look as fast and doesn't push the play nearly as much as they used to. The defense in particular looks like it could use more mobility and ability to push the play.

I hate the current line combos up front too.

Has little to do with anything probably but missing guys like Fleury, Daley, Cole, Lovejoy, Bonino and even Kunitz kinda took away some personality and #grit (I know I know) from the team. They just look somewhat bland. Losing Sheary also did sacrifice some speed, in the regular season anyway.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
what I learned from sully's presser:

1. he is not all that displeased with the effort tonight, don't expect major chnages
2. Brass will stay on the first line a few more games at least
3. Casey deSmith will be bakck on the bench. Sully's comment on his performance was as lukeworm and as he ever gives about his players

1. The effort wasn't as bad as the pessimism here indicates. We outplayed them in 2 out of 3 periods. Wins against Vancouver aren't automatic. They beat Tampa. They're scoring 3.5 G/GP right now.

2. Why not? The line scored, thanks to great backchecking from Brass and Jake. Crosby and Brass both had 59/58 % corsi tonight.

3. Well, that's a damn shame then. He got got us 3/4 points against Vegas and Montreal. We deserved zero. Three goals against in one game is a pretty damn short leash. Murray could very well get nuked by Toronto. Not looking forward to that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Maybe he should work on getting the puck to hit the goalie when he shoots it.

Boeser had half of Sprong’s total shots for the season tonight. And I don’t care how “bad” his line mates are. Somehow Simon and Cullen managed a shot tonight.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
DeSmith's a .922 so far. Wish they'd give him a goddamn break. There's no way Murray is better than him right now.

Agree..I think it’ll be a mistake to start Murray...I just think he lacks confidence now—at least he looked that way the first couple games he played....what would happen to him if Matthews gets an early goal on him....really could be bad....I’d find a less skillful goal-scoring team to insert him back in the lineup...

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

there's no such thing as an easy 25 goals in the NHL. Certainly not for essentially a rookie. In the last 10 years there have been 15 rookies to score 25 goals.

I like Sprong. I think he can be good. But at this point he's still just as likely to never score 25 career goals as he is to ever score 25 in a season regardless of how we use him. The idea that he'd do it in his first full season is very unlikely.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I think everything I could say would be repetition of points made in games past.

But one that bears repeating is, that it makes no sense to make Brassard a winger as he is not at all good enough as a winger to justify the acquisition price. Less so when it means making Guentzel a LW to accomodate him (which also means there's a RW spot less making Rust a LW), and less again so when line 1 looks as discombobulated as it does.
If we cannot make Brassard successful as 3C on this team (would be ridiculous if not) then he should be traded to a team needing a 2C.

Not that this is urgent or anything, but I'd be really unhappy to keep on seeing that L1 trotted out there at the same time as Rust Sheahan Horny makes for a line with zero creativity and consequently zero offense.

It's just dumb.

Lol. You must have mindmelded my post from this afternoon and you are correct!

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
CBJ Fan here coming in peace!

How has Jack Johnson been? I don’t want to make any judgements off his stats alone.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
I’ve been watching hockey too long. I feel like an Oracle at this point.

A prominent recipe for success is starting out dull... hitting your stride in late November. Going through another slump in January-early Feb. Then heating up before heading into the playoffs..

Why anyone, who has paid attention to hockey longer than 4 years doesn’t grasp this... and still continues the “sky is falling philosophy after 2 weeks worth of hockey - is missing the obvious.

I mean I’m not saying to not have dialogue about the current state of the team - but come on. Playing mediocre hockey until late January and doing the bare minimum to get into the playoffs or home ice advatange is the name of the game.

You’re never going to have every skater on any given night in this part of the season going “all out” at the same time. So shit is going to stink sometimes. I know people want to think their fav players are super invested in every game - they’re not.

And it’s the right thing to do - it’s what cup teams learn... that the regular season is a joke when you have as much talent as the Penguins, and an opportunity to go on cruise control to conserve energy/risk of injury for the playoffs.

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
CBJ Fan here coming in peace!

How has Jack Johnson been? I don’t want to make any judgements off his stats alone.

I'll give you a more honest opinion.
He'd be fine if he was getting 3rd pairing minutes with a Riikola or Ruhwedel.
So far he's been getting 2nd pairing minutes with Olli Maatta and Justin Schultz and then started tonight with Oleksiak.
This team needed an Olli or Schultz or both to step up and grab those 2nd pairing spots and they simply couldn't to start so JJ was forced in to hard minutes cuz he was the best they had atm.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
2nd OT in a row where Phil doesn't even get to step foot on the ice for 30 seconds. Yay...
Another snafu by the coaching staff. Currently Geno and Phil are our two most dangerous players, so lets not start them in OT.:thumbd:

Even though that's not a huge issue for me, I really wonder why the coaches are configuring the lines in the matter in which they are. We made a huge trade to get Brassard because we were very thin down the middle, and what do we do, we put him on wing. It's a waste of his talent and by extension poor asset management. If you're gonna part with that many assets in a trade it needs to be for a center, particularly in our case. Sully is over complicating things IMO. Play RW on RW, centers at center, it's really not all that difficult, really it's not.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'll give you a more honest opinion.
He'd be fine if he was getting 3rd pairing minutes with a Riikola or Ruhwedel.
So far he's been getting 2nd pairing minutes with Olli Maatta and Justin Schultz and then started tonight with Oleksiak.
This team needed an Olli or Schultz or both to step up and grab those 2nd pairing spots and they simply couldn't to start so JJ was forced in to hard minutes cuz he was the best they had atm.

Wait, so Johnson is underperforming because he isn’t playing with our # 7 or 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad