Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3 Oilers 2 - McDavid meets McCann (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Why are we talking about re-signing Burrows? He's 34 and has 2 years left on his contract. I would be happy if he scores close to 20 goals the next 2 years.

Sutter looks like he will be fine. He was probably put on Sedins' wing to give McCann more of a look. Sutter's offensive upside is probably not going to be there but you don't need to play him with playmakers. Playing him with Higgins and Hansen would be perfect.

Outside of the goal, I actually thought the Hutton and Sbisa pairing was pretty good.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
seriously, sedin sedin sutter has fans? thats the worst combo i can remember in recent memory

stick sutter with the other scrubs (dorsett prust or vey or whatever trash is on the 4th line), give them 8 mins a game, and let the good players play

willie-d said they were good together in his post-game presser.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I thought Sutter played pretty good, he just didn't have any finish. He was better than the Sedins through the first two periods.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Miller played well but it's not hard to do when you're playing against the Oilers. Let's not forget he played well against a lot of bottom feeding teams last year. It's nothing new.

Miller was awesome. He was stopping high scoring forwards for the most part. Must be tough from many fans when Miller plays well.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Sutter was very good last night if he had those chances every night no doubt he would score a lot. He is not a great match for the Sedins but he played well. He is a better player than Burrows right now but that does not fit board narrative. Virtanen was very good as well, he has the Raymond ability to skate the puck out of his own end. He is better than Kassian defensively and bodychecking wise. His speed covers some mistakes as he catches people on the back check. The team is much faster this year and if McCann Hutton are on it In place of Vey/Corrado it is that much faster still.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
I was actually looking for that hit too bsjezz.

I giffed it so you dont have to use that gross video player.

Plays like this is why I want McCann to make the lineup. Sure he crashed into McFavid which was awesome, but he gained us possession back as we were fighting for the puck in our zone. Little things like this is what makes him an awesome player already.

(I see I spelt McDavid wrong but I think I'll leave it since I like that new nickname).

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Miller played well but it's not hard to do when you're playing against the Oilers. Let's not forget he played well against a lot of bottom feeding teams last year. It's nothing new.

The Oilers are a tire fire defensively but they have some real high end offensive players. Miller had a great game. Full stop.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

The Oilers have been a great offensive team during their historic suck era for the last decade. It's their d and goaltending that's kept them in the basement.

Miller had a really, really good game.

Just a quick question. Does anyone know if the stanchion lights in Rogers Arena are history? There was a simple red bar behind the goal that went off after the goals but no longer the stanchions.

Did Bennington trade them away for Sbisa's brother or something?

Not sure. They probably just didn't turn them on during the preseason.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The Oilers have been a great offensive team during their historic suck era for the last decade. It's their d and goaltending that's kept them in the basement.

Miller had a really, really good game.

Not sure. They probably just didn't turn them on during the preseason.

He is paid 6M and his presence cost us a better and cheaper goalie so he better be ****ing good all the time.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Hutton - Biega should be the 3rd pairing. Good mix of styles. Unfortunately the Bulldog will likely never get a shot with the big club... 3 scratches in front of him on the depth chart even though he was like our 4th best D-man in the preseason.

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Hutton - Biega

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
He is paid 6M and his presence cost us a better and cheaper goalie so he better be ****ing good all the time.

Yep. He's paid as a top ten goalie, he should perform as one. He didn't perform as a top thirty one last season. Salary matters folks.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Miller was awesome. He was stopping high scoring forwards for the most part. Must be tough from many fans when Miller plays well.

Ugh, terrible post. We would be ecstatic if Miller played well regularly, but the reality is he doesn't.

Happy we got two good games out of him, but based on his play for the past few years he doesn't have enough good games to justify the contract and the Lack trade.

Do you people think that we're just sitting here with personal grudges against players waiting for them to **** the bed? We're sitting here watching the team we love play and a few players ******** the bed much more frequently than the players we traded for them and the rest of the roster.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Do you people think that we're just sitting here with personal grudges against players waiting for them to **** the bed? We're sitting here watching the team we love play and a few players ******** the bed much more frequently than the players we traded for them and the rest of the roster.

Uh, is this a serious question? are you new here?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Most of this board has deterioted to personal grudges.

Which in itself isn't a big deal, but when they feel the need to hammer those grudges home in every thread regardless of the relevance..

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Uh, is this a serious question? are you new here?

Are you? Nobody is *****ing about Horvat being a **** player because he isn't. Reasonable people thought he might not be a good player when he was drafted, but admit that he looks like he's going to be a star.

Reasonable people ***** about Sbisa being a **** player, but don't admit they're wrong because they aren't. Do you see the difference?

I would love if Sbisa took a major step and became a top 4 player. However, that isn't exactly the most likely thing to happen, and we gave up a proven top 4 guy to make room for him. That's not a personal grudge, that's just reality.

PancakeHero

May 13, 2013
Pawnee
I thought Sutter had a decent game on the wing. No finish last night but he was "good noticeable" on a number of shifts. That breakaway through the defense was fast.

PancakeHero

May 13, 2013
Pawnee

How so? If there's anything Edmonton CAN do it's score.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I didn't bother watching the game, so I'd be curious to hear what exactly people liked about Sutter's game (those that seemed to like what he did). He had a 38% CF while playing with the Sedins, who were both over 50%. That's astounding.

So... what is it? I'm not trying to be contentious -- as I said, I didn't watch the game. I'm just honestly curious.

I've been watching the Canucks for three decades (since I was 3) and I've never been less interested in watching the team. At this point, I'm not sure it's "appointment television" for me with the NFL season in swing and the Jays about to kick off October baseball.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I didn't bother watching the game, so I'd be curious to hear what exactly people liked about Sutter's game (those that seemed to like what he did). He had a 38% CF while playing with the Sedins, who were both over 50%. That's astounding.

So... what is it? I'm not trying to be contentious -- as I said, I didn't watch the game. I'm just honestly curious.

I've been watching the Canucks for three decades (since I was 3) and I've never been less interested in watching the team. At this point, I'm not sure it's "appointment television" for me with the NFL season in swing and the Jays about to kick off October baseball.

He played a smart game and generally finds himself in the right place to be. Had a couple good scoring chances and set up Daniel (I think) on a nice feed. Given that he played on the wing, it was a very "Jannik Hansen-ish" game, complete with the lack of finish.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
He played a smart game and generally finds himself in the right place to be. Had a couple good scoring chances and set up Daniel (I think) on a nice feed. Given that he played on the wing, it was a very "Jannik Hansen-ish" game, complete with the lack of finish.

Right, but his CF was abysmal compared to the Sedins, which makes it seem like he must have really anchored them. How else do they end up 12+% higher without him on the ice?

Lots of suspect offensive players (Jeff Cowan et al) have "looked good" with the Sedins without actually helping them. Do you think he actually makes them functionally better in any way? What does he do for them that they don't already do for themselves?

PancakeHero

May 13, 2013
Pawnee

He reminds me of Hansen a bit, except faster. Truthfully I thought until late in the game the Sedins were pretty crappy. They were whiffing on passes/shots and had several egregious giveaways.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I can't say I enjoyed Sutter on the wing *with the Sedins*, although he did create chances even if he didn't capitalize, but I can't say I dislike him on the wing. I think this might have been a test to see if Sutter could take Higgins' spot while he's injured, allowing McCann to take a center role with the team.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows/Vrbata
Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata/Virtanen
Sutter-McCann-Virtanen/Burrows
Dorsett-Prust-Hansen
Higgins (injured)
Cracknell/Vey

Last edited:

PancakeHero

May 13, 2013
Pawnee
Right, but his CF was abysmal compared to the Sedins, which makes it seem like he must have really anchored them. How else do they end up 12+% higher without him on the ice?

Lots of suspect offensive players (Jeff Cowan et al) have "looked good" with the Sedins without actually helping them. Do you think he actually makes them functionally better in any way? What does he do for them that they don't already do for themselves?

He played one game with them. That's the sample size you want to critique him on? I'd want to see a larger sample size. He definitely created some chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad