Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3 Oilers 2 - McDavid meets McCann (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
To me Biega has outplayed, by a large margin, some of the other d-men. He has been a ton better than Corrado and IMO better than Bart, Sbisa and Weber. He should be on the team (who knows maybe he is cut already as I haven't really kept up with that) .
Absolutely. It's very frustrating to me how everyone seems to just write him off and treat his being cut like a forgone conclusion (same with Management treating him that way, which I sort of suspect they are).

If both Hutton and Biega make the D-Core, our top 5 looks very very solid. If not, it looks completely awful, IMO.

1. Tanev
2. Edler
3. Hamhuis
4. Hutton
5. Biega
Everyone else

Love

Feb 29, 2012
so the sedins-sutter combo clawed back to about even in corsi by the end of the third. it was dire through two but i think it actually could have been sutter adjusting to a spot on the wing. i don't really like the idea, but if it tenable to give mccann a 9-game shot, why not?

I mean it was 3 periods of hockey and they looked decent after the first 2... People couldn't have honestly expected Sutter to look amazing right away at RW?

I'm in the minority but I'm on board for at least giving it another chance.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
I wish they'd waive Sbisa
And this isn't in a way of..."please somebody take Sbisa"
But I feel like it'd be beneficial to him as it seems to have been beneficial for Markstrom to play big in Utica

He can work on his endurance and get confident
And then if things click, he can almost be worth his contract

Because as has been stated multiple times
He starts off looking good for the most part
But he falls apart later in the game
He just needs more development I feel

He'd most likely clear with that contract
And if he doesn't...well, then whoever takes him is stuck with him on their roster at that cap hit

And it frees up a roster spot for someone who deserves the spot

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I mean it was 3 periods of hockey and they looked decent after the first 2... People couldn't have honestly expected Sutter to look amazing right away at RW?

I'm in the minority but I'm on board for at least giving it another chance.
If you are going to continue trying Sutter with the twins, I would like if they could at least do this:

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
Burrows - McCann - Vrbata

Very nice balanced scoring after the first line.

But then again, if you're going to do that, I'd probably be happier just putting Hansen with the Sedins and Sutter carrying the fourth line. That's about the maximum success I can see coming out of the Sutter experiment anyways.

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
SSS = meh. Sutter and the twins were inconsequential for the vast majority of the game. Suddenly without him, they score. 3 on 3 the bros will be deadly. Still no idea where Sutter really fits.

BHV = well, I guess Vrbata's not bad there. I'd still put him with Danny and Hank, though.

BMcCH = yeah, not seeing a lot of chemistry there either.

PCV = what a waste of talent playing Virtanen with Prust and Cracknell.

ET = man, Edler literally cannot get a single good shot through, can he? It's just laughable. Also he's looking slow and passive again. Tanev was decent.

BSHW = Bart's still looking like a better skating Sbisa, Sbisa's still looking like Sbisa, Hutton's chained to an idiot, and Weber's got more hustle than skill. Reminds me of Mike Weaver when he went to Montreal.

Much better effort for Miller.

No idea what the lines will be come the real season, but knowing Willie I'm sure I'll hate them.

We're never seeing a Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen line again. Ever. Just watch. It was far, far too good.

Not sure which game you were watching, but Edler was fantastic tonight. Sure, he had a couple of shots blocked and loss coverage a couple of times, but he jumped up into the play well, he manhandled the Oilers, made multiple nice quick small passes, had a couple great outlets, showed good poise and patience with the puck (especially in OT.) Without Edler, the game tying goal and the OT goal wouldn't have happened. He easily outplayed Tanev tonight IMO.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I wish they'd waive Sbisa
And this isn't in a way of..."please somebody take Sbisa"
But I feel like it'd be beneficial to him as it seems to have been beneficial for Markstrom to play big in Utica

He can work on his endurance and get confident
And then if things click, he can almost be worth his contract

Because as has been stated multiple times
He starts off looking good for the most part
But he falls apart later in the game
He just needs more development I feel

He'd most likely clear with that contract
And if he doesn't...well, then whoever takes him is stuck with him on their roster at that cap hit

And it frees up a rostr spot for someone who deserves the spot

I'm not sure I agree that it would be good for Sbisa, but I honestly don't really give 2 shirts. It's too soon to expect Benning to go back on his mistake, but I would be perfectly content with burying him in the minors and forgetting him there until his contract runs out. Injury call-up. MIGHT help out the Comets.

He was outplayed to a disgusting degree, to nobody's surprise. Keeping him is a lose-lose scenario. He is that bad. Like... he's really a bad hockey player. He has no business in the NHL as a regular. At all.

He's like Vey, with an intrusive contract. Both of these players should be simply jettisoned. Terrible asset management? Well, **** happens. I think picking McCann mitigates that. Let's go from there.

Alpha

英霊
Dec 15, 2011
It's not my money so I'd have zero problem slotting Sutter as the 4C, but...

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I agree that in a fair and just world, Hutton and Biega would form the bottom pairing right now. But I can't see the Canucks letting Sbisa ride the pine. One of Bartkowski or Weber, sure, but having both of them in the press box eating up $3.25m of cap space wouldn't be any good.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
A little bit about Hutton in Botch's provies

The players want him to make it.
“As well as tonight, he’s been the key in the games I’ve watched and haven’t played,” Henrik said. “When we take over games, it’s when our D starts skating.
“The way he can skate, from standing still to three steps, how fast he is able to get to top speed is amazing.”
Uh, when has Henrik ever called anything amazing?
“I look at him the same way I look at Alex (Edler’s) first year. He’s a big guy who can skate, make plays,” Henrik said.
“He’s going to make plays and along the way he’s going to make mistakes.
But if he plays with the right player, it’s going to be covered up.”
As endorsements go, this is about as good as it gets.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/1...hat-we-learned-vets-want-hutton-on-this-team/

Give it a read it's pretty short and pretty interesting.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I agree that in a fair and just world, Hutton and Biega would form the bottom pairing right now. But I can't see the Canucks letting Sbisa ride the pine. One of Bartkowski or Weber, sure, but having both of them in the press box eating up $3.25m of cap space wouldn't be any good.
You're right, but I just never understand where management is coming from with this type of thinking-- You'd win significantly more games playing Biega over these guys long term, IMO. That's gotta matter more than high salaries sitting on the bench.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
You're right, but I just never understand where management is coming from with this type of thinking-- You'd win significantly more games playing Biega over these guys long term, IMO. That's gotta matter more than high salaries sitting on the bench.
Big egos, sadly.
Being right > doing the right thing.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Big egos, sadly.
Being right > doing the right thing.
It's not even about doing the right thing-- even on a practical business sense level, doesn't more wins and a greatly increased probability of making the playoffs and generating that much more revenue outweigh the couple million that's "wasted"? It's not like they're SAVING money by playing them as opposed to not playing them anyways (well, not more than the half million that Biega would likely make).

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It's not even about doing the right thing-- even on a practical business sense level, doesn't more wins and a greatly increased probability of making the playoffs and generating that much more revenue outweigh the couple million that's lost?

Don't disagree at all. I can't explain it, I mean these guys believe Sbisa is a top 4 dman so obviously logic doesn't apply to them.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Absolutely. It's very frustrating to me how everyone seems to just write him off and treat his being cut like a forgone conclusion (same with Management treating him that way, which I sort of suspect they are).

If both Hutton and Biega make the D-Core, our top 5 looks very very solid. If not, it looks completely awful, IMO.

1. Tanev
2. Edler
3. Hamhuis
4. Hutton
5. Biega
Everyone else

Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Weber
Hutton Biega

If we had not signed Sbisa...Weber could have been Franson....

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
It's not even about doing the right thing-- even on a practical business sense level, doesn't more wins and a greatly increased probability of making the playoffs and generating that much more revenue outweigh the couple million that's "wasted"? It's not like they're SAVING money by playing them as opposed to not playing them anyways (well, not more than the half million that Biega would likely make).

It's about not admitting any wrong doing in order to save face, even if it means crippling the team's future.

We would like Prust to be gone, we would like Vey to take a hike, we would like to tell Sbisa to screw off, but since they made the decision to sacrifice assets to bring in Vey and Prust and gave Sbisa that HORRENDOUS contract, those three will be almost untouchable. And no matter how well our youth guns shoot, they will pull the "don't think they are ready" card and call it a day.

I do sincerely hope that management will prove me wrong by letting Hutton McCann Virtanen and Sven (maybe Biega too) stay.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's about not admitting any wrong doing in order to save face, even if it means crippling the team's future.

We would like Prust to be gone, we would like Vey to take a hike, we would like to tell Sbisa to screw off, but since they made the decision to sacrifice assets to bring in Vey and Prust and gave Sbisa that HORRENDOUS contract, those three will be almost untouchable. And no matter how well our youth guns shoot, they will pull the "don't think they are ready" card and call it a day.

I do sincerely hope that management will prove me wrong by letting Hutton McCann Virtanen and Sven (maybe Biega too) stay.
Honestly, I think I care even more about Biega making the team than Virtanen or McCann. There are NO developmental or physical question-marks with Biega. There's no excuse not to have him on the team. He's not just ready, he's fully ripe, physically and mentally complete, and criminally unused. And in my opinion, we have a far greater desperation for what he brings than what I think McCann/Virtanen will be able to bring in their first years.

Also, isn't Sven the opposite of what we're talking about? He's one of Benning's guys, but he hasn't played all that well and will be gifted a spot. (it's the one I'm more okay with though)

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Don't disagree at all. I can't explain it, I mean these guys believe Sbisa is a top 4 dman so obviously logic doesn't apply to them.
Benning believed in 3 yrs (2 now) that he could be a top 4.

But whatever you want to believe.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Benning believed in 3 yrs (2 now) that he could be a top 4.

But whatever you want to believe.

They are paying him top4 money now.
But whatever, it's not the first time their actions don't match what they say, believe what you want to believe.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Honestly, I think I care even more about Biega making the team than Virtanen or McCann. There are NO developmental or physical question-marks with Biega. There's no excuse not to have him on the team. He's not just ready, he's fully ripe, physically and mentally complete, and criminally unused. And in my opinion, we have a far greater desperation for what he brings than what I think McCann/Virtanen will be able to bring in their first years.

Also, isn't Sven the opposite of what we're talking about? He's one of Benning's guys, but he hasn't played all that well and will be gifted a spot. (it's the one I'm more okay with though)

I feel that the overall theme with the management and coach is their unreasonable distrust of youth, and their over reliance and emphasis on "veteran presence and guidance".

They already signed the checks for Sbisa, I'm expecting (to my dread) the day when Prust and Vey are offered undeserved extensions.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I do have to give credit where credit is due-- All these scrubs being showcased really puts into perspective how much we take Derek Dorsett for granted. Unreasonable not to be very pleased with him as a 4th liner, IMO.

I've not had any issue with Dorsett on the Canucks, except maybe the length of his contract. My issue has always been with Willie playing him too often and for too long and slotting him on lines where it's clear he struggled. I think there may be a lot of other fans who feel the same way.

Prust also seems like a good guy, and you can see he also has some skill, but he looks worn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad