Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3 Oilers 2 - McDavid meets McCann (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Sutter with the Twins wasn't the worst combo I've seen. But I would still prefer Vrbata or Burrows with the Twins, in that order.

Fourth line probably would have been more effective with Dorsett rather than Prust. It is mind blowing how slow Prust is. Virtanen made him and Cracknell look like they were standing still.

Overall, it was actually a really ugly game. Miller came to play, which was good. He looked sharp and didn't have much chance on either goal. Also nice to see the Twins awaken after the 2-1 goal. It was their game from then on.

Apart from being burned by RNH on the first Oiler goal, Hutton was solid once again. Best of the youngsters. McCann looked good when he briefly got bumped up with Baertschi and Vrbata, and Virtanen had a decent fourth liner night.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
1-2-3-4 justdoitWillieStache

Sedin - Sedin - Dorsett 15min
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen 15min
Burrows - McCann - Vrbata 15min
Prust - Sutter - Hansen 15min

every1wins

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Fourth line probably would have been more effective with Dorsett rather than Prust. It is mind blowing how slow Prust is. Virtanen made him and Cracknell look like they were standing still.

I found that concerning as well.

Dorsett gets a lot of criticism around here largely due to his contract, but if we're strictly looking at a 4th liner who get in on the forecheck with speed he is 10x the player Prust is.

Not sure exactly what we have in Prust yet. He doesn't seem to have that forechecking ability, hopefully he can bring something else.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
No. Please not Dorsett with the Sedins.

That would be a beauty to watch.

Dorsett would score his career high and fans would praise Benning for his foresight while dogging on Gillis because Burrows had an awful year playing on a line with Prust and Vey.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I would do this

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
Burrows - Sutter - Hansen
Higgins - McCann - Dorsett

Prust

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Biega
Hutton - Bartkowski/Sbisa/Weber

Bartkowski/Sbisa/Weber
Bartkowski/Sbisa/Weber

Markstrom
Miller

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Has anyone else noticed how nice it feels to say, "Waive Vey."?

"Waive Vey." it just rolls off the tongue in such a way that I can't help but say it.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015

Dorsett would score his career high and fans would praise Benning for his foresight while dogging on Gillis because Burrows had an awful year playing on a line with Prust and Vey.

Fans will praise Benning? I can't see it. Fans love to hate him here.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
SSS = meh. Sutter and the twins were inconsequential for the vast majority of the game. Suddenly without him, they score. 3 on 3 the bros will be deadly. Still no idea where Sutter really fits.

BHV = well, I guess Vrbata's not bad there. I'd still put him with Danny and Hank, though.

BMcCH = yeah, not seeing a lot of chemistry there either.

PCV = what a waste of talent playing Virtanen with Prust and Cracknell.

ET = man, Edler literally cannot get a single good shot through, can he? It's just laughable. Also he's looking slow and passive again. Tanev was decent.

BSHW = Bart's still looking like a better skating Sbisa, Sbisa's still looking like Sbisa, Hutton's chained to an idiot, and Weber's got more hustle than skill. Reminds me of Mike Weaver when he went to Montreal.

Much better effort for Miller.

No idea what the lines will be come the real season, but knowing Willie I'm sure I'll hate them.

We're never seeing a Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen line again. Ever. Just watch. It was far, far too good.

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
I would do this

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
Burrows - Sutter - Hansen
Higgins - McCann - Dorsett

Prust

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Biega
Hutton - Bartkowski/Sbisa/Weber

Bartkowski/Sbisa/Weber
Bartkowski/Sbisa/Weber

Markstrom
Miller

I like this.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Man Prust and Cracknell, particularly Prust, are ****ing horrid. Prust plays the game in slow motion and Cracknell gives er but just is ineffective. Really sucked to see Virtanen weighed down with them in his last chance to prove he deserves to be on the team.

Also Sutter is the opposite of a top 6 player

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Wade Brookbank of all people got something like two goals in a span of about half a dozen NHL riding shotgun for the twins. And Dorsett as a NHLer >>>>> than Wade Brookbank ever was.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I do have to give credit where credit is due-- All these scrubs being showcased really puts into perspective how much we take Derek Dorsett for granted. Unreasonable not to be very pleased with him as a 4th liner, IMO.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Game the Canucks had little business wining. Thought they were vastly out-played for large parts for the game and Miller had to be superb to hold them in. Defense had real problems and the deficiencies of some were clearly evident. Also, unlike last game Canucks couldn't feast on players like Nikitin and Ference.

Liked

Horvat - has been the MVP of the pre-season. Another good effort here.

Edler - plays like this all season and he goes to the elite level.

Miller - lights out. Just looked great and had no chance on the goals. Hopefully keeps up play like this and, at least, increases his trade value. I know Benning doesn't think like this but maybe the best thing Miller can do for the Canuck's future is bring an eite prospect (especially for the defense)

Burrows - whatever line they put him on he helped. Fear that he might lose a step seems unfounded

Baertschi - nice game. Skating is much better and he seems to team well with Horvat. Worked the boards fairly well and ended up creating chances. Really starting to show the elite passing skills he has.

Did Not Like

Sedins - Yes they scored an outstanding OT goal but for much of the game they didn't seem able to keep up to the pace of the game. Lots of turnovers and sloppy passes (way too many back hand passes). In addition, got hemmed in their end far too often. Whole pre-season they haven't been able to get their passing game going.

Bartkowski - becoming more apparent that he has issues handling people around the net. Lots of thrashing around and chasing. Needs to better in traffic. Also getting beat at the blueline too much. Has some offensive tools but have to be concerned with him handling some the bigger forwards in this division. Him and Weber seem to look like the same player.

Sbisa - seems to follow a familiar pattern. Starts Ok but then seems to get gassed and skating lags. Begins to stop moving up with the play and starts make more desperate plays. Can see his pinches getting worse and starts to hook and hold to compensate for his lack of speed. Made some bad turnovers as the game went on.

Others

McCann - for much of the game looked in over his head - especially in his own end. Can see the game is going a little fast for him. When he gets the puck people are on him much quicker than he is use to and are a lot stronger on their sticks. Played better in the third but to me he is simply not ready. It might be good to give him some time so he can pushed to increase his quickness and reaction time but probably best for his development that he goes back to Junior.

Virtanen - thought he did a lot little things right. His puck movement was intelligent and showed touch. Seemed to do a good job of getting the puck out of his zone. Also he looked like a constant danger. Looked to be just a bounce away from breaking away at center on numerous occasions. Might be the fastest player on the team.

Vrbata - non-factor all the way around. You wonder if he is that great a fit with Horvat.

Hutton - seems to start the game with some problems but then he starts getting his feet going and begins to play with confidence. Maybe this was his least effective game but still looked like an NHL defenseman. Canucks need his size on the back end and IMO he has clearly out-played others on defense.

Sutter - not effective with the Sedins (outside of few shift in the third) and that looked like a failed experiment. Did, however again show flashes of upper level speed and vision. He has some game but the team is still searching for where he fits in.

Other points

To me Biega has outplayed, by a large margin, some of the other d-men. He has been a ton better than Corrado and IMO better than Bart, Sbisa and Weber. He should be on the team (who knows maybe he is cut already as I haven't really kept up with that) .

For those who want Corrado, I think you have to realize that his developement has plateaued for while now. That is bad sign. People seems to assume that as you get older you naturally get better but that assumption is not warranted. Lots of players reach a certain point and then never get better. The waiver wires are littered with these players. Also thinking Corrado will automatically get picked up is IMO over-rating your own players. There are plenty of players as good or better than Corrado that have already gone through waivers. Right now Biega is better and whether Corrado ever reaches Biega level is open to question. Will be interesting to see what the team does here but I see a mistake on the horizon.

Getting clear that Weber needs Hamhuis to play well

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Has anyone else noticed how nice it feels to say, "Waive Vey."?

"Waive Vey." it just rolls off the tongue in such a way that I can't help but say it.

Hmm... I dunno. Here, let me try.

"Waive Vey."

Hm.

"Waive Vey."

*inhales through nose*

"Waive Vey. Waive Vey."

MMMMMMmmmmm....... Waive Vey. WAIVE Vey. Waive VEY. waive vey. WAIVE VEY!

WAIVE VEY!! HEY, EVERYBODY! WAIVE ****IN' VEY!!!

Ahhhhh....

Waive Vey.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I do have to give credit where credit is due-- All these scrubs being showcased really puts into perspective how much we take Derek Dorsett for granted. Unreasonable not to be very pleased with him as a 4th liner, IMO.

We were definitely blessed to have Hansen as a 4th line winger last year and that sort of made Dorsett look bad considering Hansen is probably one of the better 3rd line wingers in the league.

But more than anything it's his contract that people have a problem with, which isn't Dorsett's problem. That's a Benning problem and we should appreciate Dorsett for what he is.

Prust on the other hand... People will be calling for Gaunce and Kenins to replace him ASAP unless he finds his game soon.

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
so the sedins-sutter combo clawed back to about even in corsi by the end of the third. it was dire through two but i think it actually could have been sutter adjusting to a spot on the wing. i don't really like the idea, but if it tenable to give mccann a 9-game shot, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille