Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2, Flames 4: I </3 Cam Barker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Problem or not he's basically a rental, who cares? If he fits you try and re-sign him, if not adios.

Going all in for RO'R would have been nice until the nucks worked out the waivers thing and the fact we have nothing to sell, and of course Feaster went full Pejorative Slur.

A number #1 dman, Garrison+Ballard = 8.8m vs #1 Dman and #6.

You would have to ask those posters who do not want ribeiro... I am not opposed myself.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1363073

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
It was @DavidEbner but he deleted the tweet, I think because he didn't like the speculation that followed when it blew up a bit.

I find that suspect. I am cautiously optimistic he will be traded though. It's not that he's been playing bad, this drama is just getting too over the top. He's been a square peg in a round hole ever since he got here.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I don't know why you keep singling out Garrison. He has actually fit in well on the right side, better than anyone else, and has been a rock there. He's easily living up to his salary over the past 10 games, excluding the Detroit game.

We started the off season with Edler and Hamhuis as our #1 and #2, #3 was Ballard. We added another LS Dman

Edler
Hamhuis
Garrison/Ballard.

That's $8.8m allocated to two guys that ideally should be on the 3rd pairing LS based on Hamhuis and Edler being in their proper locations. It's not Garrison's fault per se that we have a hole on the 1st pairing RS (hole-Bieksa-Tanev), but we've poured a mountain of cap into what has turned out to be the wrong spot.

EDIT: I'm not attacking Garrison's recent play (what I meant by current was this year not the last few games). He has improved and is getting over (injury/new team), it's more a question of distribution of cap and is it effective to take a couple of 2nd pairing LS Dmen and try and squeeze them into a 3rd LS and 1st pairing RS. It just seems to be inefficient atm, at least to me.

Last edited:

fava

Jan 24, 2013
Salo was anything but a stabilizing player his last season here. He couldn't keep up with Bowness' system and the impact it was having on his body anymore.

Garrison has been a clear upgrade on Salo over the last 10 games. There's a reason he's currently +7 despite taking a while to adjust to our style of play.

I dont know if you've ever watched a canucks game last season. Salo was our best D until the Boston game.

I know gmmg cant do no wrong. but you dont really have to dis salo to make your point

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Garrison is the least of our problems...

Cant score more than 2 goals on a rookie goalie? Luongo lets in 4?

Can we just shelve Luongo and go with Schneider so he can get into a groove?

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I dont know if you've ever watched a canucks game last season. Salo was our best D until the Boston game.

I know gmmg cant do no wrong. but you dont really have to dis salo to make your point

So if he was not our best D after boston and that hit we are claiming hurt him, why would we still want him as damaged goods, and furthermore expect him to fill in top minutes every night like garrisson is doing and play physical minutes against teams top lines especially when he could not keep up?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Salo was the slowest skater I had ever seen in the second half of last season and wasn't using his shot anymore. It sucks, but he had to go at $3.5 million per year.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I really hope you have a better argument in favor of AV than that.

AV didn't "take" our team to the Cup Final, he rode the talent of the deepest Canucks lineup ever to the Cup Final.

In fact, he was blatantly outcoached by Claude Julien of all people in the Finals.

SOOO AV wasn't the result of our success in the playoffs, but was the fault for the loss to Claude Julien ?

Hm. That's not looking at things right.

He was either the cause of both or not.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Team is unable to string much together because they are forced to go with struggling rookies and substitute players. Have patches of good play but then sag because they have players playing out of position or and players who simply aren't ready to take on the load they are presently given.

The Good

Sedins - along with Burrows created a lot of offense. Had very little puck luck. It's tough watching other teams using the can opener all game to try and stop them with no call and then watch the Sedins get called when they tick someone's skate and the player dives.

Tanev - far and away our best player. Creates great space for others and plays so intelligently. His speed is exceptional. Too bad he's saddled with some of the partners he gets

Booth - best thing about this game was the improvement of Booth. He's close to breaking out. Skated a ton better in this game and went to the net hard. Hands aren't there but a lot of good signs in this game.

Higgins - another very good effort

Hansen - thought he had some erratic moments but he also made some excellent plays.

The Bad

Kassian - every shift is an adventure. Big wide swings looping in and out of the play. Just waving his stick on defense. Gives it a go but his inexperience, poor reads and lack of awareness are hurting the team. Being pushed ahead of where his skill and hockey intelligence are at the moment. Just a dollar short and minute late right now.

Hamhuis - think he is not at full speed. He is getting beat wide too much and is very scrambly in his own end.

Weise - did absolutely nothing again. Does zero with any chance he gets, does not forecheck hard and is not even playing that well defensively. Complete non-entity that flys below the radar game after game. No passion, no nothing. Even think Volpatti might bring more to the table.

Luongo - first goal was horrible. Thing that made it worse was Luongo was going down for no reason. Thought Luongo was going down early way too much and a lot more than earlier in the season.

Alberts - at this point I believe someone like Joslin would be better. It's unbelieveable how little area Alberts covers given his size. Play is usually gone by the time Alberts tries to move the puck.

Other points

Schroeder is beginning to fade. Came in at the beginning of the season from the AHL and looked good as other players were sorting themselves out. Now we are into the grind, Schroeder is starting to struggle. Even on defense, where he has been fairly good, he is starting to get into trouble. Biggest disappointment is that he is not really getting chances. And this is the rub with Schroeder. Given his size Schroeder has to be dynamic offensively. True he is not with great linemates now but he hasn't ever shown enough production at the pro level. He didn't show it at the AHL level and not really even at the college level. Produces some points but nothing like the kind of points you need to be considered an high tier offensive player. Has speed but mostly just rushing around and accomplishing nothing at the moment. Good that he has picked up the defense but he is not going to make it at this level as a defensive type player.

Hard to get much read on Barker. Would say he looked pretty passive in general.

I have to believe that Ballard is out for others reasons besides AV not wanting to play him

Call on AV was terrible. As stated earlier Hartley was much more abusive with no call. I think any objective person would have to say the Canucks are getting the dirty end of stick.

Listened to 1040 on the way home and agree with the many who think that Patterson and Price are terrible. Patterson's level of stupidity is remarkable. I've never heard anyone say anything else about them other than they are bad and you wonder how 1040 employs them. Listen to post games in other cities and find many announcers are very good. These guys are an embarrassment.

LaPierre is being asked to do too much and play beyond his abilities but there is little else the team can do. Also, he probably has the same groin problems he had at the beginning of the season. Right now the Canucks are weak down the middle and have few options (outside of a trade) to solve this problem. Juggling the present people around is little more than a knee jerk reaction and grasping at straws. It will not IMO solve the situation.

Crows*

Let the spectulation run rampant again eh? Name tags off of ballards stall? FLorida down a goalie for the year most likely.. we need a centre badly. Weiss is struggling hard.

I would love to have campbell on this team. I think he's exactly what this team needs, unfortunate about his contract though.

fava

Jan 24, 2013
So if he was not our best D after boston and that hit we are claiming hurt him, why would we still want him as damaged goods, and furthermore expect him to fill in top minutes every night like garrisson is doing and play physical minutes against teams top lines especially when he could not keep up?

Salo is doing fine, playing top pairing in tampabay. better than garrisson, alot cheaper, on way better term

dps

Nov 30, 2011
Thing is Daniel shot was blocked, could he have gotten a better shot off? Yes but there was a defensive play on the shot, and yes Daniel needs to bury that and neither him or Hank played well this game, and both of them needed to be better but there's 16 other players out there that can also score, there's only one player that is the goalie it's just how things are.

So Lou deserves a "large part of the blame" because he's the goalie and his mistakes are amplified when he lets in a softie because it shows on the score board?

Yet when an elite first liner and previous hart trophy winner can't score a softie you seem awfully reluctant to throw any blame his way. Sure you said he "has to be better" but you aren't nearly as assertive in your blame flinging as you are with Lou. Even though scoring those goals is a large part of his job.

You also mention there are "16 other players out there that can score". Yet they, as well as the sedins, were not able to out score the Calgary flames with a no name goalie in net bobbling pucks and throwing out big juicey rebounds.

I hope you can see the massive double standard you have set up here.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Salo is doing fine, playing top pairing in tampabay. better than garrisson, alot cheaper, on way better term

How did you draw this conclusion?

Hasn't he been out with injuries yet again?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
We started the off season with Edler and Hamhuis as our #1 and #2, #3 was Ballard. We added another LS Dman

Edler
Hamhuis
Garrison/Ballard.

That's $8.8m allocated to two guys that ideally should be on the 3rd pairing LS based on Hamhuis and Edler being in their proper locations. It's not Garrison's fault per se that we have a hole on the 1st pairing RS (hole-Bieksa-Tanev), but we've poured a mountain of cap into what has turned out to be the wrong spot.

It's actually still useful to have Garrison there because the Canucks equal out the ice time among Dmen at ES. Also, as Tiranis has pointed out, he's acquitted himself quite well on the right side lately.

On top of all of this, the league is talent deficient. When a good Dman hits FA and is willing to sign with your club at a discount, it's really an easy decision. Finding a more appropriate fit in the top4 is going to cost a boatload.

The worry is Ballard. If he isn't being used here, then that salary is of no use.

dps

Nov 30, 2011
Yeah. Refs are sacred cows in the NHL. There's been plenty of coaches that were fined $10,000+ for criticizing refs.

Is that on AV to pay or the organisation. Also, what's if he/they don't pay.

Side note: Getting fined for calling out a bush league penalty is pretty ludicrous. I didn't realise the NHL was such a dictatorship.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Salo was great and extremely underrated in the past, but brutal last year. He got a free pass based on his past play and the fact he's a nice guy, but I'm happy that he got paid and it was for a different team.

Outside99*

I think the team should be desperate for a competent center at this point esp. The way Lapierre is playing. For example, He was clearly out of position on the Kings' PP goal. And against the Flames, he made a couple of boneheaded plays, unexpectedly moving the puck back in his own zone to the dismay of his dmen.

Fact is, Lapierre's hockey IQ and defensive awareness are poor, and his playmaking nonexistent. These are masked by his relative effectiveness on the dot, and his excellence at forechecking, backchecking, breaking up plays and winning puck battles. I've long thought he'd be more effective as a winger and his recent play seems to reinforce this view.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
I think the team should be desperate for a competent center at this point esp. The way Lapierre is playing. For example, He was clearly out of position on the Kings' PP goal. And against the Flames, he made a couple of boneheaded plays, unexpectedly moving the puck back in his own zone to the dismay of his dmen.

Fact is, Lapierre's hockey IQ and defensive awareness are poor, and his playmaking nonexistent. These are masked by his relative effectiveness on the dot, and his excellence at forechecking, backchecking, breaking up plays and winning puck battles. I've long thought he'd be more effective as a winger and his recent play seems to reinforce this view.

No worries. I'm sure Ebbett's on his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad