Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2, Flames 4: I </3 Cam Barker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizeman*

Hilarious. He didn't play terribly but he certainly did get outplayed. One weak goal is one more weak goal than Taylor let in. Coincidentally it was a one goal loss (empty net aside). Tell me again how Luongo does not have a large hand in a one goal loss where he lets in a ridiculously weak goal.

If the Canucks lost by a goal against the Kings then Schnieder would certainly take a large part of the blame because of his terrible goal. I'm pretty sure you would have been the first to point it out, too.

Because they like luongo and have lowered the bar so that he cannot fail.

Luongo is a 7mil dollar goalie with a whole pile of experience still in his prime . That is the fact.

His play was 'good' for his salary and pedigree. Then he simply fell apart the last 2 games and in my opinion is virtually untradeable now unless its a salary swap.

Hes still a standard NHL goalie but with that pedigree and that contract , it becomes horrible. Worse than Theordore . At least theo has a cheap ass contract and is a UFA in July.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Had to leave for lacrosse after it was 2-2, just finished reading thought the GDT and a few things I would like to know more about.

Alberts and Barker (how did they play, looked unimpressive but not terrible up until I had to leave)

Lapierre hasn't looked good so far and I have been disappointed with him being played over Schroeder. I heard many calls for the switch during the GDT but would be interested in more post game analysis

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Garrison has been a rock lately, with the Detroit game being the only blemish on his resume but everyone was horrible in that game. Tanev plays the softest minutes on D but he does it well.

Bieksa and Hamhuis have been the real issue this season. Bieksa is playing 2nd softest minutes and somehow managing to be one of the worst possession players on the team. Hamhuis is doing fine in terms of his overall play, it's the turnovers and uncharacteristic mistakes that are the issue.

Edler is in a similar boat as Hamhuis.

It's his lack of poise. People are confusing a lack of poise for a lack of effectiveness.

He's making plays quicker. Is better in front of the net, and supporting the play better up the middle of the ice. He just needs more poise in his game to calm some people down with regards to his play.

I don't have any issue with him currently.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
This team just is not good enough anymore. Simple as that.

This team, organization and many fans are still stuck in 2011.

Time to get a grip with reality or face a Washington/San Jose scenario.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Stop whining about reffing, and win some damn games.

this please, it's fine to complain at the moment it happened, but it was pretty bush league for AV to make those comments instead of taking the blame for losing against a team we should easily beat

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Had to leave for lacrosse after it was 2-2, just finished reading thought the GDT and a few things I would like to know more about.

Alberts and Barker (how did they play, looked unimpressive but not terrible up until I had to leave)

Lapierre hasn't looked good so far and I have been disappointed with him being played over Schroeder. I heard many calls for the switch during the GDT but would be interested in more post game analysis

Alberts was his usual self, useless outside of the defensive zone and pretty average in the defensive zone. Doesn't move the puck well and is slow getting around.

Barker was a total disaster outside of his assist on a great play by Hansen (had little to do with Barker, really). Soft, slow, poor gap control, poor positioning and poor at moving the puck up the ice. Consistently left his guys unmarked and didn't read the play. When he was on the ice the Canucks were guaranteed to face a scoring chance or two. He can make decent plays in the offensive zone though. It's not even a contest between him and Ballard for anyone but AV. Poor man's Marc Andre Bergeron.

Lapierre might've as well not been playing. His two wingers carried the play, including defensively. A few times Kassian had to come off the wall to take Lappy's man because Lapierre was wondering around the zone, not checking anyone. Turned the puck over in our own zone once. Offensively he touched the puck in a meaningful way maybe 3 or 4 times all game. Considering how much Booth and Kassian were creating, it's disappointing that AV didn't move up the better offensive player in Schroeder.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
That's on AV, IMO. Kassian was demoted for no good reason when that line was producing early in the season. They clearly just needed time to get into the groove.

It hurt Kassian but the Sedins have been going better. Sedins>Kassian. If we want Kassian in the top 6 we better find a centre to play with him and we do have the potential

out
Booth $4.25m
Ballard $4.2m
Luongo $5.33 (Schneider $4)
total $12.45- 13.8m.

Hypothetically
Ribiero $5m
Visnovsky $5.6m
Backup $2m

I might even throw Lappy in there if he doesn't pull his finger out.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I'm assuming you guys saw Murph's tweets? Can't believe in a 2-2 game in the 3rd the refs would do that! Actually, I can't believe they would do it no matter what the score is. Ref needs to be disciplined for that.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Thanks Tiranis, kind of what I expected but I wasn't going to make any statements about players without seeing the entire game. Hopefully they try Schroeder up with Booth and Kassian. Alberts is just Alberts I guess, everyone kind of knows what we are getting with him. Unfortunate to see Barker play like ****, especially when we are sitting one of our better defenders this year

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
It hurt Kassian but the Sedins have been going better. Sedins>Kassian. If we want Kassian in the top 6 we better find a centre to play with him and we do have the potential

out
Booth $4.25m
Ballard $4.2m
Luongo $5.33 (Schneider $4)
total $12.45- 13.8m.

Hypothetically
Ribiero $5m
Visnovsky $5.6m
Backup $2m

From what I seen schroeder played very well with kassian in the ahl and they have some chemistry, but instead little js is being used as a 4th line grinder. When arniel was not benching them or splitting them up that is.

I dont mind ribiero but many canucks fans are not in favor of him on the main board at all. There is a discussion about him to vc on the main board right now.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I'm assuming you guys saw Murph's tweets? Can't believe in a 2-2 game in the 3rd the refs would do that! Actually, I can't believe they would do it no matter what the score is. Ref needs to be disciplined for that.

I agree that bad calls can greatly influence games, but the woe is me kind of attitude that AV had after the game was embarrassing. Games against the Flames should never come down to one call

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
Alberts was his usual self, useless outside of the defensive zone and pretty average in the defensive zone. Doesn't move the puck well and is slow getting around.

Barker was a total disaster outside of his assist on a great play by Hansen (had little to do with Barker, really). Soft, slow, poor gap control, poor positioning and poor at moving the puck up the ice. Consistently left his guys unmarked and didn't read the play. When he was on the ice the Canucks were guaranteed to face a scoring chance or two. He can make decent plays in the offensive zone though. It's not even a contest between him and Ballard for anyone but AV. Poor man's Marc Andre Bergeron.

Lapierre might've as well not been playing. His two wingers carried the play, including defensively. A few times Kassian had to come off the wall to take Lappy's man because Lapierre was wondering around the zone, not checking anyone. Turned the puck over in our own zone once. Offensively he touched the puck in a meaningful way maybe 3 or 4 times all game. Considering how much Booth and Kassian were creating, it's disappointing that AV didn't move up the better offensive player in Schroeder.

Good post, T.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
I'm just enjoying the games and having hockey back. I don't expect this team to win anything this year because IMO it's poorly built. The defence is mediocre and easy to play against, there is no reliable secondary scoring once the playoffs start and the small Raymond line that's been great lately gets shut down. We never get the calls or breaks.

I think we need a d-man and a second line forward and based on what we've seen, the Florida guys, I don't think Gillis will get it done. It will be year 4 out of 5 where we don't make it past the second round with the Nonis core because the depth pieces aren't good enough.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I missed why Ballard didn't play... injured? or poor coaching.

They are saying healthy scratch. We can't really figure it out. Either AV really hates Ballard or a trade is coming or he is injured and they are covering it up. I don't know why they would do that though.

There was some rumor from some newspaper article saying that Ballard's nametag is no longer on his locker. Did anyone else read that?

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
I missed why Ballard didn't play... injured? or poor coaching.

Poor coaching. I think some analysts were saying the reasoning was to get the other guys who have been sitting (Alberts, Barker) some games under their belt, but my question is this: With a shortened season, why not let the main guys play, stop juggling the pairings every 2 games, and let them get comfortable because it's quite clear they have been struggling for 20+ games now.

But no, let's bring these useless plugs in who will play zero games for us in the playoffs...

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
A poor game marked by poor play following a unscheduled flight from southern California. It was just a bunch of fail compounding into a cluster bad enough that Calgary won with a desperate effort.

Speculating, but it seems like the team is doing assessments. This might be pre-trade preparations? They might need to know if Barker can play with Edler before they deal Ballard? I would have expected Luongo talk, re: Theodore, before Ballard but whatever.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
From what I seen schroeder played very well with kassian in the ahl and they have some chemistry, but instead little js is being used as a 4th line grinder. When arniel was not benching them or splitting them up that is.

I dont mind ribiero but many canucks fans are not in favor of him on the main board at all. There is a discussion about him to vc on the main board right now.

As a 2c/3c he'd be a fantastic pickup so long as AV doesn't screw it up. He'd instantly improve the 2nd unit on the PP. Kesler can play centre or play on his wing. The opens up Schroeder to play 4C if needs be while Lappy waits for his annual playoff appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad