Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2, Flames 4: I </3 Cam Barker

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
No problem losing Salo, but we've been bleeding defensemen off the right side in recent years and not adequately replacing them.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
out for a few days.
so you agree the damaged goods still better in last 20 or so games

No i dont, i also dont think 20 games says anything, you claimed he was good up until boston, and I added he was slow, and could not handle big minutes on a consistent basis down the stretch last season.

I still dont know how your proving your point with him in tampa out with a lower body injury for a few games already. If i see an entire meaningful season with him handling top 4 minutes then I might agree with you, but I dont see tampa going far, and I dont see him being able to handle it either. He could not handle it last year here down the stretch which you seem to agree on with the comment he was good up until boston.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Calgary coach swearing up storm in the first at the refs and gets nothing. AV chirps and gets called. Brutal call.

Didn't want to believe it, but beginning to think there really is a difference in perception among the refs of us compared to other teams. Not saying "the refs are out to get us", but they seem to be looking - overly intently so - for some things that they probably wouldn't with other teams. Notice all the embellishment calls lately? The Nucks' reputation is starting to hurt them unfortunately, and I suspect this is where the media-manufactured BS is coming to haunt us, though that might just be my take on its effect.

Makes me think there was a directive sent out by NHL headquarters to nail us for even marginal instances of those things when they occur. I seem to recall in the offseason there was this blacklist on known divers that was put out in the media or something - one of them being Kesler. Gillis has probably noticed this starting to happen too.

Of course, having these crappy officials to begin with doesn't help things either.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Didn't want to believe it, but beginning to think there really is a difference in perception among the refs of us compared to other teams. Not saying "the refs are out to get us", but they seem to be looking - overly intently so - for some things that they probably wouldn't with other teams. Notice all the embellishment calls lately? The Nucks' reputation is starting to hurt them unfortunately, and I suspect this is where the media-manufactured BS is coming to haunt us, though that might just be my take on its effect.

Makes me think there was a directive sent out by NHL headquarters to nail us for even marginal instances of those things when they occur. I seem to recall in the offseason there was this blacklist on known divers that was put out in the media or something - one of them being Kesler. Gillis has probably noticed this starting to happen too.

Of course, having these crappy officials to begin with doesn't help things either.

And they will call these calls until the opening faceoff in the playoffs then nothing, so we might as well keep playing the same way.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Wow do we ever overrate former players so much

Actually I think this fan base is some of the worst when it comes to former players. They suddenly become hacks, overpaid or talentless. Ehrhoff, Hodgson etc.

Salo is a rare case but he was here for a very long time and was consistently our best dman for years so I understand the attachment to him.

Nov 1, 2011
It helped Pittsburgh in 2009 when they weren't even in the playoffs when their coach was fired. They had no systems under Therrien either.

I think we should note that we are barely in the playoffs right now. We currently hold a playoff spot by 3 points more than #9 in the West.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Actually I think this fan base is some of the worst when it comes to former players. They suddenly become hacks, overpaid or talentless. Ehrhoff, Hodgson etc.

Salo is a rare case but he was here for a very long time and was consistently our best dman for years so I understand the attachment to him.

I think there is a bit of both, some do as you said and trash our former players, but there is a growing number of people who look back and preach how much better our former players were in comparison with our new players, especially when we are struggling. I have see it a ton with Ehrhoff and Hodgson, as well as Grabner.

Kuzmenkshow

Big smile, big hair, big time player
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
was against letting go of ehrhoff since day one, he single handedly turned the twins from 80-90 point producers to 100+ point producers. Edler is a great d-man, but he's not really the guy to single handedly lead whole defensive unit, cause if he tries to focus too much offensively he will put up points but his defensive game really suffers.

Put him with Ehrhoff and ze german does the offensive stuff while Edler focuses on being the shutdown guy who could pitch in with a big shot or amazing break out pass. If we really want Edler to step it up offensively, try pairing him with a guy like Hamhuis or acquire a veteran pure shutdown guy (a legitimate top 4 NHL d-man, not an Alberts/Rome shutdown guy) to play with him and I feel like he'd really produce. Just can't do it all on his own.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

Erhoff and hodgson really, i see the exact opposite.

Well maybe hodgson there is a divide between people that miss him dearly and people who said good riddance. The people saying good riddance are more less responding the exact opposite and harshly because they think hes overrated by the people who claimed it will go down as one of our worst trades behind cam neely. I seen on cdc someone had an avatar how codys fanbase is a bunch of cry babies. It is all absurd really on both ends.

Erhoff is treated like a king on here, just ask about him. Could not disagree more.

Besides erhoff and hodgson, I see posts asking for grabner, mitchell, torres, back and they are cited as big mistakes made by the canucks letting them go.

Last edited:

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Second game in a week where the referees mistakes/bias whatever you want to call it costs Canucks goals that end up costing the game. First Detroit game and now this. Boggles the mind how this kind of embarrassment can go on night after night. It's like the NHL doesn't even care.

First goal was a joke. I probably would've pulled Luongo the moment it happened. Unacceptable. Flames had nothing going on before that, and that was a nothing play also. Game could've been totally different had Luongo been able to make a regular save there. He made few good saves rest of the game but simply put, an AHL goalie outplayed him.

If Booth plays like that more consistently he's worth his contract. Higgins and Hansen had good games and Kassian skated well too. Sedins were decent but nowhere near the level they were against LA. PP has been garbage.

I don't know. These are those kind of games that the Canucks have found a way win (or at least get a point) in recent years. This year's team just doesn't seem to have it. It's going to be a frustrating regular season followed by 1st or 2nd round exit.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Second game in a week where the referees mistakes/bias whatever you want to call it costs Canucks goals that end up costing the game. First Detroit game and now this. Boggles the mind how this kind of embarrassment can go on night after night. It's like the NHL doesn't even care.

First goal was a joke. I probably would've pulled Luongo the moment it happened. Unacceptable. Flames had nothing going on before that, and that was a nothing play also. Game could've been totally different had Luongo been able to make a regular save there. He made few good saves rest of the game but simply put, an AHL goalie outplayed him.

If Booth plays like that more consistently he's worth his contract. Higgins and Hansen had good games and Kassian skated well too. Sedins were decent but nowhere near the level they were against LA. PP has been garbage.

I don't know. These are those kind of games that the Canucks have found a way win (or at least get a point) in recent years. This year's team just doesn't seem to have it. It's going to be a frustrating regular season followed by 1st or 2nd round exit.

While we all have the right to be angry at the officiating for calling a stupid penalty against us for what seemingly was nothing, it's pretty bad when a team supposedly as good as the Canucks end up losing to Calgary because of one play. If we really are superior to them then we should have been able to rebound from that. We didn't. Our response and push was pretty sad.

Would you pull every goalie every time they let in a softie or make a mistake? Schneider made one last game. I don't think either goalie should be pulled after a simple mistake like that. These things happen. I don't think our fan base realizes this. You can't pull a goalie every time there's a stupid mistake like that. Two, okay. But one is a mulligan that happens with every goalie. It happened in the first period so the Canucks had a long time to bounce back from that. If its late in the third then it's a backbreaking goal, but in the first it's not as bad. That was Luongo's only mistake in the game, and he went on to make some spectacular saves later in the game, including one which led to our 2nd goal.

I'm not a Booth hater by any means, but he will never be worth his contract until he starts scoring. You pay someone $2M to generate chances, energy and forechecking, you pay someone $4.25M to do that and to score on some of those chances. Right now he's playing like a $2.25M player.

I agree that this is going to be a frustrating season followed by an early playoff exit. I've been saying this since July. Hopefully things change but what I saw last night was the same thing I've seen in 90% of our games this year, show up for the first period, collapse in the second, snooze for the first 15 minutes of the third and try for a comeback in the final 5.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
The officiating was bad, but come it, it's the ****ing Flames, it shouldn't of come down to one call. The game should never of been that close in the first place.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site

Hate to say it, but actually agree with this. The Canucks don't seem to get away with much from the refs and whatever their reputation is among refs, it is not good. Not sure how they reverse this trend now but for most of this season the refs have not been doing the Canucks many favors, whether they brought it on themselves or not, it's concerning and greatly diminishes their chances of success going forward.

bpoulsen

Apr 20, 2006
Glostrup
Watching Chris Higgins' goal from last night gave me a de ja vu ...

Here's the goal from tonight ...

And here's Chris Higgins scoring agains the Flames back on november 1st 2011 !

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
It's nice that Booth got chances but like someone else said he's here to produce, anything less isn't good enough. Both him and the Sedins don't do enough other stuff to justify not scoring. I'll give Booth some slack for now since he hasn't played much but he needs to get it going soon.

Say what you will about Luongo but he let in 3 tonight, he was on the bench for the 4th.

Radiolad

Jun 24, 2006
Calgary
I was at the game and what a sh** show it was.

Luongo letting the first one in, the missed calls in the 3rd ( I saw 2 blatant missed calls including the elbow AV got that BS call from ) and finally John and Mary Whitetrash behind me screaming ALL night for their flames. Easily my worst experience at a hockey game!!!

On a positive note, it was probably 30% Vancouver jerseys in the stands so I was loving that!!

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
It's nice that Booth got chances but like someone else said he's here to produce, anything less isn't good enough. Both him and the Sedins don't do enough other stuff to justify not scoring. I'll give Booth some slack for now since he hasn't played much but he needs to get it going soon.

Say what you will about Luongo but he let in 3 tonight, he was on the bench for the 4th.

One thing I like about Booth is he is always giving his best effort, some guys not producing seem to just sit back, at leased Booth gives 4.2 million worth of effort.
Also don't know where the myth that he can't pass came from, although he is not a setup kind of guy.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Watching Chris Higgins' goal from last night gave me a de ja vu ...

Here's the goal from tonight ...

And here's Chris Higgins scoring agains the Flames back on november 1st 2011 !

One of the only players on the team with more then one break away move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad