• Igor Shesterkin

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
He's mentally fragile. Things get a little iffy and he gets in his own head.

Expecting him to all of a sudden turn it on once the playoffs start is expecting a lot, I hope he can find his game before and carry that momentum into the playoffs.
Complete overreaction and poor amateur psychology.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Complete overreaction and poor amateur psychology.
Nice counter arguments. Over reaction? The guy saying to trade for a goalie is an over reaction. The other guy saying to prepare for life after Shesty is an over reaction. I'm making a point based on his play since he broke into the league but I think he can find a way past this weakness.

He at times seems to have difficulty maintaining elite focus which hampers his game. Losing your stick is no reason to give up a bad angle goal. And it's not the first time it's happened to him. Plus the name chanting at last year's playoffs, this isn't a one-off.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Nice counter arguments. Over reaction? The guy saying to trade for a goalie is an over reaction. The other guy saying to prepare for life after Shesty is an over reaction. I'm making a point based on his play since he broke into the league but I think he can find a way past this weakness.

He at times seems to have difficulty maintaining elite focus which hampers his game. Losing your stick is no reason to give up a bad angle goal. And it's not the first time it's happened to him. Plus the name chanting at last year's playoffs, this isn't a one-off.

The name chanting which he almost immediately silenced by throwing a dime up the ice to hit Mika for a breakaway?

Blaming the lost stick on the goal that he gave up last night is dumb as it had nothing to do with the goal against and he should have stopped that shot EVEN while being out of position, I'm with you there. I don't think hes shown anything that even suggests slightly that he's a head case. Not only did he bounce back and win that Penguins series, he was the biggest reason why they were able to get by Carolina as well.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
The name chanting which he almost immediately silenced by throwing a dime up the ice to hit Mika for a breakaway?

Blaming the lost stick on the goal that he gave up last night is dumb as it had nothing to do with the goal against and he should have stopped that shot EVEN while being out of position, I'm with you there. I don't think hes shown anything that even suggests slightly that he's a head case. Not only did he bounce back and win that Penguins series, he was the biggest reason why they were able to get by Carolina as well.
Slick passing doesn't require pinpoint focus and puck tracking like stopping the puck does. Like I said though, I think he can bounce back from these moments, but they do happen from time to time when he's put it in an out of the ordinary situation for whatever reason.

Like if he misplays the puck and has to rush back in the net I think he'd have trouble making a tough save in that moment, his focus would be off and he'd be way more likely to overcommit and get beat on a quick pass or under commit and get beat on the shot. Whereas a guy like Hank would seem to excel in those 'scrambly' moments, maintaining ironclad focus when he was on his game. Comparing him to Hank is lofty but last season showed he's got it in him to be just as good.

Regardless, he's given up bad goals too often this year which he needs to clean up before the playoffs start.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC

People sitting at home making statements about the psychology of a player as if they are written in stone facts is nonsense. You have no clue other than your emotional reaction to every goal that goes in. What’s his record this year? W-L Pts are what matter. They’re on a top of the league run for multiple months now. Try that with a “soft” goalie.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Slick passing doesn't require pinpoint focus and puck tracking like stopping the puck does. Like I said though, I think he can bounce back from these moments, but they do happen from time to time when he's put it in an out of the ordinary situation for whatever reason.

Like if he misplays the puck and has to rush back in the net I think he'd have trouble making a tough save in that moment, his focus would be off and he'd be way more likely to overcommit and get beat on a quick pass or under commit and get beat on the shot. Whereas a guy like Hank would seem to excel in those 'scrambly' moments, maintaining ironclad focus when he was on his game. Comparing him to Hank is lofty but last season showed he's got it in him to be just as good.

Regardless, he's given up bad goals too often this year which he needs to clean up before the playoffs start.

No different skill sets, but that wasn't the point.

You said he has a habit of getting in his own head and brought up the Pittsburgh series of an example. A player lacking in confidence or in their own head won't even attempt a pass like that, let alone execute it.

A lack of focus would suggest that his head is too far removed from what he's doing, not that he's too in his own head. I actually agree that his head has been elsewhere this year and that it needs to be rectified.

Asking for Hank like consistency is asking a lot of anyone but Hank had rough stretches too. Do you remember his first playoff series?

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
People sitting at home making statements about the psychology of a player as if they are written in stone facts is nonsense. You have no clue other than your emotional reaction to every goal that goes in. What’s his record this year? W-L Pts are what matter. They’re on a top of the league run for multiple months now. Try that with a “soft” goalie.

Yea wins and losses are the go to stat for goalies. Like when our record with Glass was better with than without, he was the key to winning. What's our record with Lysh-whatshisface? Probably pretty good too.

He *seems* to have breakdowns in focus, I'm not diagnosis him with general anxiety here

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
No different skill sets, but that wasn't the point.

You said he has a habit of getting in his own head and brought up the Pittsburgh series of an example. A player lacking in confidence or in their own head won't even attempt a pass like that, let alone execute it.

A lack of focus would suggest that his head is too far removed from what he's doing, not that he's too in his own head. I actually agree that his head has been elsewhere this year and that it needs to be rectified.

Asking for Hank like consistency is asking a lot of anyone but Hank had rough stretches too. Do you remember his first playoff series?
Minor lack of focus would hamper ability to make a save but not his ability to nail a pass. I'm not talking implosions, but enough to throw him off his puck tracking or decision making in being aggressive or deep etc.

When Hank was off his game he too said his focus was off. But rarely would you point to a cause for it with him, just being hot or cold as most athletes get.

And if you recall Hank was grinding his teeth in his sleep leading to migraines around the time of that first playoffs, valid reason for stinking up the joint. And I was so high on that team until Jags pushed Gomez after the game and dislocated his shoulder....

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
lol, good to see HFNYR still celebrates seven game win streaks the same as always.
I'm not speaking about last night's game (played down to competition which happens across all of sports) or just the recent team play (which has been great), but Igor's season in general which definitely has been just ok. Too many softies imo.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I'm not speaking about last night's game (played down to competition which happens across all of sports) or just the recent team play (which has been great), but Igor's season in general which definitely has been just ok. Too many softies imo.

Not picking at you or anybody else, no worries. My first time being on here in a while, and it caught me a little off guard, that's all. HFBoards exists as a place for fans to nitpick the details!

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Not picking at you or anybody else, no worries. My first time being on here in a while, and it caught me a little off guard, that's all. HFBoards exists as a place for fans to nitpick the details!
100%. The positive though is now that we're on a win streak you actually don't see ppl (openly) rooting for losses or disappointed when we win in that Gallant won't be fired the following day :)

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Welcome back! Hope all is well....

Your contributions have been missed.

Thanks, Man(dar).

I almost came back just to run the pick 'em pool this year, but I really needed some time away. Big transition in work and life, and I had to sink all these HF hours into more productive stuff. Maybe it will make a return next year!

Reactions: Mandar

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Minor lack of focus would hamper ability to make a save but not his ability to nail a pass. I'm not talking implosions, but enough to throw him off his puck tracking or decision making in being aggressive or deep etc.

When Hank was off his game he too said his focus was off. But rarely would you point to a cause for it with him, just being hot or cold as most athletes get.

And if you recall Hank was grinding his teeth in his sleep leading to migraines around the time of that first playoffs, valid reason for stinking up the joint. And I was so high on that team until Jags pushed Gomez after the game and dislocated his shoulder....

Igor has a 7 month old baby, born last August. You don't think that in any way contributes to some of his lapses in focus? A baby throws typical people working 9-5s with zero extracurriculars out of whack. Imagine having the schedule he has while trying to be there for his wife and a newborn.

I don't think he's been up to the caliber we've seen him reach, but how often do we see goalies have the seasons he had last year? And to expect him to repeat that year in, year out? I'm not even close to worried about his compete level once the significance of the games is higher in the POs.

Reactions: Kaapo di tutti capi

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Welcome back. This is just the Rangers way, but think it’s been pretty positive in here for the most part.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Yeah Chosen, whatever happened to "WE WON" and being happy? Jeez, some people (you know who you are) game in and game out ALWAYS find something to complain about. Here's a fun fact; The Rangers are NOT God's gift to the NHL. Our players are not the only players that are getting paid to do a job........and that is WIN. You don't get an "extra" 2 points for playing the "perfect" game.
I found yesterday's game pretty entertaining. Was Shesty on his game? No. Were the kids GREAT again......No. Are the Canucks THAT bad overall. No. Defensively?.......yes. Did the Rangers play a good defensive game? No

Most important Point is....... 2 points. THAT is all that matters. THAT makes ME happy. If the coaches aren't, well........ Let them NOT be happy and it's their job to figure out how to fix it.

Those folks suffer from

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Welcome back. This is just the Rangers way, but think it’s been pretty positive in here for the most part.

I bet it has; there really hasn't been much to complain about at all since the first month or so.

The players are playing well and producing, the kids are taking steps, the team is winning and starting to look like a genuine contender; only piece left is to blow it all up for Bedard.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I bet it has; there really hasn't been much to complain about at all since the first month or so.

The players are playing well and producing, the kids are taking steps, the team is winning and starting to look like a genuine contender; only piece left is to blow it all up for Bedard.

Yeah, things overall have been very good. There is some concern with Shesty, but think he will be fine, Panarin is playing like the player when he first came here. Whatever issues they may have still plenty of regular season to smooth them out.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Yea wins and losses are the go to stat for goalies. Like when our record with Glass was better with than without, he was the key to winning. What's our record with Lysh-whatshisface? Probably pretty good too.

He *seems* to have breakdowns in focus, I'm not diagnosis him with general anxiety here
Talk about a stretch, comparing the reletive value of a goalie towards winning with a couple of 8 minute aa game hacks. Yes, the team is on a top of the league stretch. A long one. You don't do that with a fragile goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad