• Igor Shesterkin

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Igor has a 7 month old baby, born last August. You don't think that in any way contributes to some of his lapses in focus? A baby throws typical people working 9-5s with zero extracurriculars out of whack. Imagine having the schedule he has while trying to be there for his wife and a newborn.

I don't think he's been up to the caliber we've seen him reach, but how often do we see goalies have the seasons he had last year? And to expect him to repeat that year in, year out? I'm not even close to worried about his compete level once the significance of the games is higher in the POs.
I wish I could like this post multiple times.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
How the hell did we win the analytics? They were outplayed all night and pinned in their zone for large stretches. The only reason they won is because Vancouver had an AHL sieve in net.

I’m just going off what the pie chart says

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Said it last night and will say it again. I'm more worried about how Fox has been playing than Shesterkin. Igor will right himself for when it matters. Fox? I don't know what's going on with him. Probably injured. I've been underwhelmed by him for weeks since before the All Star break.
I feel like something similar to this happened to Fox last year then he went on to have an absolutely insane playoff run. Not worrying yet about him

Reactions: romba and Greg02

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Talk about a stretch, comparing the reletive value of a goalie towards winning with a couple of 8 minute aa game hacks. Yes, the team is on a top of the league stretch. A long one. You don't do that with a fragile goalie.
Yes, wins matter more for a goalie than skaters, but still is a relatively poor metric for overall play. We can agree to disagree.

Igor has a 7 month old baby, born last August. You don't think that in any way contributes to some of his lapses in focus? A baby throws typical people working 9-5s with zero extracurriculars out of whack. Imagine having the schedule he has while trying to be there for his wife and a newborn.

I don't think he's been up to the caliber we've seen him reach, but how often do we see goalies have the seasons he had last year? And to expect him to repeat that year in, year out? I'm not even close to worried about his compete level once the significance of the games is higher in the POs.
Yup, another factor that affects his focus.... so tell him and his wife no more babies until retirement?

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I feel like something similar to this happened to Fox last year then he went on to have an absolutely insane playoff run. Not worrying yet about him
True. And Gallant is trying to spread the 5 on 5 D's more evenly to avoid burning our top guys out especially during this intense stretch coming up. Having only 1-2 PPs a game also helps limit his ice time (but not his statistics).

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
How the hell did we win the analytics? They were outplayed all night and pinned in their zone for large stretches. The only reason they won is because Vancouver had an AHL sieve in net.
Vally's data has nothing to do with the goalies in net. It's all based off the types of shots, screens, and pre-puck movement before those shots happen, i.e., a pass across the slot leading to a shot from the right circle will typically be graded as a better scoring chance than a shot from the right circle without that type of pass. Public models don't account for that.

They played lazy last night, but there were stretches where they essentially were globetrotting with the puck in the offensive zone, and Vancouver simply didn't have answers for it. Vancouver was definitely tenacious backchecking and tying to cycle in the offensive zone, but they really didn't get too many great chances down low around Igor. I don't think it'll be an issue going forward for the Rangers because we just saw them play very structured games against Carolina and Calgary

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Our chances were better.

It was a sloppy game but Vancouver really didn’t generate much either.
I honestly thought Vancouver was the much better team last night. They were in the ozone way more than the Rangers were and I thought their chances were just as high quality as the Rangers and there were more of them. It seemed the Rangers just capitalized on most of theirs because of the sieve in net. Vancouver has an average NHL goalie in net and it's a 4-2 loss.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I honestly thought Vancouver was the much better team last night. They were in the ozone way more than the Rangers were and I thought their chances were just as high quality as the Rangers and there were more of them. It seemed the Rangers just capitalized on most of theirs because of the sieve in net. Vancouver has an average NHL goalie in net and it's a 4-2 loss.

I don't think this is true.

They had a bunch before they stopped playing. Lets not forget that Panarin missed an empty net for a hat trick in the 2nd (which was the very definition of a high danger chance) and Leshitshow actually scored in the 1st on another one (and it wasn't even reviewed!)

The first Panarin goal and the Kreider goal were probably 1-2 in some order in goal probability. Vancouver may have had the majority of the zone time, but they really didn't do anything with it.

The game sucked, the team played at what looked like 70% speed for a good chunk of it. They still didn't really allow much of anything.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Vally's data has nothing to do with the goalies in net. It's all based off the types of shots, screens, and pre-puck movement before those shots happen, i.e., a pass across the slot leading to a shot from the right circle will typically be graded as a better scoring chance than a shot from the right circle without that type of pass. Public models don't account for that.

They played lazy last night, but there were stretches where they essentially were globetrotting with the puck in the offensive zone, and Vancouver simply didn't have answers for it. Vancouver was definitely tenacious backchecking and tying to cycle in the offensive zone, but they really didn't get too many great chances down low around Igor. I don't think it'll be an issue going forward for the Rangers because we just saw them play very structured games against Carolina and Calgary
I thought Vancouver outplayed the Rangers by a significant margin and had just as many high danger chances and spent tons of time in the Ozone. We had like 10 minutes of solid O time all night. I was shocked that his numbers showed what they showed. This is a perfect example of why I don't fully trust the numbers. Nemeth supposedly had good analytics also and he was a train wreck that cost us 2 second rounders to get rid of him.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I thought Vancouver outplayed the Rangers by a significant margin and had just as many high danger chances and spent tons of time in the Ozone. We had like 10 minutes of solid O time all night. I was shocked that his numbers showed what they showed. This is a perfect example of why I don't fully trust the numbers. Nemeth supposedly had good analytics also and he was a train wreck that cost us 2 second rounders to get rid of him.

He had good analytics before coming to NY.

He sucked last year and had horrific analytics.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I don't think this is true.

They had a bunch before they stopped playing. Lets not forget that Panarin missed an empty net for a hat trick in the 2nd (which was the very definition of a high danger chance) and Leshitshow actually scored in the 1st on another one (and it wasn't even reviewed!)

The first Panarin goal and the Kreider goal were probably 1-2 in some order in goal probability. Vancouver may have had the majority of the zone time, but they really didn't do anything with it.

The game sucked, the team played at what looked like 70% speed for a good chunk of it. They still didn't really allow much of anything.
They allowed 4 goals and Vancouver came close a couple of other times also. I was holding my breath when it was 5-4.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I wouldn’t say they outplayed us but were rather really chasing the game after giving up goals within minutes after their first and second goals. Most of their biggest pushes came while trailing, which you can see pretty clearly if you check the game flow chart from the NHL’s game center from last night.

Tocchet has them trying harder, and PDG was a good example of that, but they still had horrible structure and the Rangers cut right through it when needed. I definitely wasn’t a fan of their overall game last night, but they did what was needed to beat a lesser opponent. That was the type of game they pissed away earlier this season, which is a key reason why they’re not first in the division right now.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
They got some pond hockey out of their system against a team that doesn't play a lick of defense. You can do that against the bottom-feeders, but you better win the game, which they did.

Hopefully it's just him adjusting to a new defensive scheme, but Mikkola is a penalty machine. He had at least one or two more plays that could, and probably should, have been penalties. One was a jersey grab that I was 100% sure was going to be called. He's handsier than a couple of teenagers in a dark theater.
To be fahhhhhhhr, the first three penalties Mikkola was hit with were nonsense.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The entire team looked like they were playing at Kravtsov pace while Vancouver was just buzzing for almost the entire game.
Just goes to show that if you know where the play is going before the rest do, there’s no need to spin your wheels.
52960A48-592A-42CA-AC38-4F93B336B9A8.png

Reactions: will1066

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
lol, good to see HFNYR still celebrates seven game win streaks the same as always.
Imagine the Rangers were actually a bad team.

I say this all the time but there is huge part of this board that either "Dont remember the dark years, or werent born even until after"

Norris winning defenseman, vezina winning goalie, multiple double digit goal scorers

Teams can draft for a decade and hope to have these kind of pieces at the same time

The Rangers are in a win now mode

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Imagine the Rangers were actually a bad team.

I say this all the time but there is huge part of this board that either "Dont remember the dark years, or werent born even until after"

Norris winning defenseman, vezina winning goalie, multiple double digit goal scorers

Teams can draft for a decade and hope to have these kind of pieces at the same time

The Rangers are in a win now mode

Absolutely crazy where we're at now considering only 2 months ago many of us were ready to throw in the towel. I'm still somewhat ambivalent when it comes to Gallant but not only did he and the players right the ship but they also strapped on a 500hp motor onto it.

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
Outside of a couple shifts early the Kid line stunk for the first time in a month or so. They were getting out worked in the D-zone. Chytil still isnt there yet on the defensive side. It happens though, expect a bounceback against EDM.
They ended up going against VAN 1st and 2nd lines a fair bit. Makes quite a difference. As good as Chytil has been he IS HORRIBLE at faceoffs, which can hurt possession and get you in a real funk. Against the Nucks he was 0-4 and Laf was0-3. I haven't looked it up but can't imagine there are many centers worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad