Canuck select Gustav Forsling 126th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
He's just leeching off Nylander on the PP. :sarcasm:

Pretty hard for defencemen to leech off forwards on the PP. Typically they are the ones quarterbacking and taking shots. Though I do see your sarcasm.....

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
It's funny how the word project is thrown around. Every prospect is a project truthfully. I liked the Forsling pick from the beginning, I think this guys floor is Yannick Weber. Has a high ceiling as well.

yeah, in this instance project was meant to infer that (or rather ask whether) he may need a lot of development in his defensive game...perhaps more than others. He is still very young and has lots of time to develop. To see his production, especially as one of the younger D men in the tournament, is very encouraging.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Also since he is only 18 he will most likely be playing in this tournament again next year.

That list is for a single tournament. All time combined he's only somewhere in the 70s I think.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com

thought his play without the puck was pretty weak after mid 1st
his defensive game after his first three games (one really good game then bad, then meh) was fairly weak to meh and not great either...looks like a lot of work is ahead of him in that department

his shot on the other hand, is another story..dont mind Yannick Weber style comparison

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
Pretty hard for defencemen to leech off forwards on the PP. Typically they are the ones quarterbacking and taking shots. Though I do see your sarcasm.....

what

dmen leech points off the PP all the time

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
what

dmen leech points off the PP all the time

You missed the "fowards" part, as in it is hard for a Dman to leech PP points off of a forward (i.e. Nylander). Haven't seen all the goals that Forsling has had a hand in but I wouldn't be surprised if Nylander hasn't "leeched" as much off of Forsling's great shot as the other way around. Probably more accurate to say both are excellent on the PP and help each other be more effective.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
the original post was a joke and yes its obviously possible for defencemen to leech off of forwards to an extent. look at edler's best years

like christ, the original post even had the sarcasm emote. come on guys

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
the original post was a joke and yes its obviously possible for defencemen to leech off of forwards to an extent. look at edler's best years

like christ, the original post even had the sarcasm emote. come on guys

Edler did not leech off forwards in his prime. His shot and passing were legit back then. In his best years not even half his points came on the power play.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
:laugh: I don't think you can toss another team's goalie under the bus.

Anyway, probably safe to assume it's something that didn't come across well in translation. Like the old MPS "make Canada crap their pants" episode.

I don't know how much was lost in translation, I think the original interview was in English, at the least the furthest I can trace the quote back is recap of the game on the IIHF site. It appears that no Swedish outlets have run the quote. The full quote reads: "He's not a very good goalie, and we should have gotten more shots through, gotten more rebounds. We passed too much when we should have been shooting. He gives up a lot of rebounds."

http://www.worldjunior2015.com/en/games/2015-01-04/SWE-vs-RUS/

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Didnt know it was possible to throw the other teams goalie under the bus, don't see anything wrong with what he said

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I don't know how much was lost in translation, I think the original interview was in English, at the least the furthest I can trace the quote back is recap of the game on the IIHF site. It appears that no Swedish outlets have run the quote. The full quote reads: "He's not a very good goalie, and we should have gotten more shots through, gotten more rebounds. We passed too much when we should have been shooting. He gives up a lot of rebounds."

http://www.worldjunior2015.com/en/games/2015-01-04/SWE-vs-RUS/

Thanks for doing the legwork :) Pretty innocuous, just a blunt assessment rather than a Canadian non answer we're used to :laugh:

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
It's still a pretty weird thing to say... technically he'd be the best Russian junior goalie around (I assume, I don't pay any attention), which can't be that bad.

Everything is relative I suppose. I assume that comment was made just after the game, so there is probably a lot of frustration behind the answer as well. The team has probably talked about the goalies deficiencies before the game, and Forsling is frustrated that they didn't take advantage of them. He's still young and he hasn't been hung out in the media for a minor comment yet, so he still speaks his mind. Once he gets Vancouver he'll adopt the art of talking while not actually saying anything.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Everything is relative I suppose. I assume that comment was made just after the game, so there is probably a lot of frustration behind the answer as well. The team has probably talked about the goalies deficiencies before the game, and Forsling is frustrated that they didn't take advantage of them. He's still young and he hasn't been hung out in the media for a minor comment yet, so he still speaks his mind. Once he gets Vancouver he'll adopt the art of talking while not actually saying anything.

You mean talking like this: "Well obviously he's a really good goalie and we um...um...obviously need to score more goals on him and its obviously frustrating to lose but obviously I'm going to learn from this and become a better player.."

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
We just may have something to work with here...out of a 5th round pick no-less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad