Canuck select Gustav Forsling 126th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Tryamkin is wasted on the bigger ice....spends too much time chasing...on the smaller rink he'll have more incoming forwards lined up on the trolley tracks...a scary scenario for forwards who like to button-hook and dangle...needs to get to NA for better development ASAP imo.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Yeah, I'm in the same camp. Forsling looks real promising in his development so far, and from what he showed in the world juniors he looks to have NHL upside. Perhaps he's a Yannick Weber type; small defenseman with a big shot who can get pucks through to the net at a high percentage rate. Personally I think his ceiling is higher than Weber though.

But with Tryamkin I'm just not seeing anything. There was that one highlights package that everyone was enthralled about, but I've never bought in to the hype. Hope I'm wrong of course.

Both are projects with strength and weaknesses. Forsling brings high puck/offensive skills but he lacks size and is clueless in his own end. There isn't much he can do about size but he could work on his play in his own end and if he does, he could be a decent NHL Dman. Of course his ticket to the NHL will be based on points but he still needs to be good enough in his own end.

Tryamkin is the exact opposite. He isn't a great skater nor have great puck skills (but he does have a great shot). What he does have is size and lots of it. The hope is his hockey skill develops and with his size, he could be an elite shutdown Dman with a cannon shot.

Honestly the best case for us is both develops well the next few years and end up playing together as partners in Utica in the near future then in the NHL together. They have completely different style that should complement each other quite well.

jftam

Jun 28, 2013
I thought he was positionally sound with a good stick. The worst mistakes I saw were from being too Kasual, which didn't happen too often.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
Both are projects with strength and weaknesses. Forsling brings high puck/offensive skills but he lacks size and is clueless in his own end. There isn't much he can do about size but he could work on his play in his own end and if he does, he could be a decent NHL Dman. Of course his ticket to the NHL will be based on points but he still needs to be good enough in his own end.

Tryamkin is the exact opposite. He isn't a great skater nor have great puck skills (but he does have a great shot). What he does have is size and lots of it. The hope is his hockey skill develops and with his size, he could be an elite shutdown Dman with a cannon shot.

Honestly the best case for us is both develops well the next few years and end up playing together as partners in Utica in the near future then in the NHL together. They have completely different style that should complement each other quite well.

I don't know what you're talking about. Tryamkin is a fantastic skater. A man his size shouldn't be able to move as well as he does.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013

Forsling's defensive play may be suspect, but he's not clueless.

And Tryamkin is a really good skater, and his shot leaves something to be desired unless he's worked on it this season.

:dunno:

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

Er, from what I've seen Forsling still has lots to learn but given his experience level that's a given and he's not bad, where he is admittedly weak is size and strength, which is partially fixable (strength) but he won't have physical power as a strength.

Tryamkin will likely need to learn the North American game tighten up his defensive play at higher speed, but he is in no way a weak skater, not just a good skater "for his size", he's a good skater, period. Whether he puts it together remains to be seen, but he's a "tools" type player, and skating is one of his tools.

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014
How's he playing recently?

Haven't heard anything from him in a while
3 games after U20 so far for Gustav and he's been there below his normar role (Forslings normal role has been is 3:rd-4:th d-men in Linköping) in Linköping 3:rd d-pair. They want give to him some rest after U20 and Linköping d-men Dominik Granat go to Switzerland (money transmission) this month, so now Gustav must found new regular d-pair.

His last game against Frölunda (Frölunda wins 3-2) Forsling played with Blachawks prospect Carl Dahlström in Linköping 3:rd d-pair. Forsling played 15:13, no points, no shots. Game after that against Djurgården, Forsling played again about 15 min, no points, but 4 shots. I see that game and it was pretty good for Gustav.

His role has been in their 3:rd d-pair lately with Dahlström, but i hope that would change. Melin seems trust not so much for Dahlström.

Startel

ChuckBartowskiMovie
Feb 15, 2014
Updates are awesome XD u should be gettino paid to scour or something with the time you put in haha

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014
Man ZK you know everything that goes on in Europe?

Great update thank you! :)

Hopefully he returns to a top 4 Dman in his team.
Not everything :D I mostly following here only SM-Liiga, KHL and SEL.

Just before Forsling goes to U20, he was played with Linköping captain Magnus Johansson in their 2:nd d-pair. AHL returnee Mattias Bäckman take Forsling's spot with Johansson when Gustav left team. I think because Bäckman return, LHC give experienced Slovakia World Championship d-men Granak to Friboug. Melin seems happy Bäckman-Johansson pair at this moment, so this make it harder for Forsling, unfortunately.

Bäckman didn't succesful at all in Grand Rapids and he was frustrated for his ice-time, but he is a good d-men in SHL gamestyle and bigger ice. In SEL he has been EHT-level d-man. At this moment it seems that Gustav come to play rest of this year regular season in their 3:rd d-pair, but there's still little hope that Forsling can take that top4-role.

Last edited:

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Not everything :D I mostly following here only SM-Liiga, KHL and SEL.

Just before Forsling goes to U20, he was played with Linköping captain Magnus Johansson in their 2:nd d-pair. AHL returnee Mattias Bäckman take Forsling's spot with Johansson when Gustav left team. I think because Bäckman return, LHC give experienced Slovakia World Championship d-men Granak to Friboug. Melin seems happy Bäckman-Johansson pair at this moment, so this make it harder for Forsling, unfortunately.

Bäckman didn't succesful at all in Grand Rapids and he was frustrated for his ice-time, but he is a good d-men in SHL gamestyle and bigger ice. In SEL he has been EHT-level d-man. At this moment it seems that Gustav come to play rest of this year regular season in their 3:rd d-pair, but there's still little hope that Forsling can take that top4-role.

Thanks for the info. It's appreciated from people here who can't watch our prospects over in Europe :D

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014
Thanks for the info. It's appreciated from people here who can't watch our prospects over in Europe :D
It's my pleasure. I hope that those Trjamkin/Forsling infos have something help. I'm also happy when this year Canucks had in Europe two interesting prospect d-men. These days it hasn't been too often in recent years when Chibisov was jobless.

However, today Forsling's team Linköping played against Färjestad and won 4-1. Jeff Taffe (1+2), Mattias Bäckman (1+2) and Mattias Sjögren (2+0) were LHC's most effective players. Unfortunately Forsling played only 12 min (in 3:rd pair again with Dahlström) and didn't got points. LHC's second youngster Jakub Vrana didn't got points either.

Edit: Forsling properly speaking scored 1:st period, but referees refuse goal. I don't know why, in my opinion it was clear goal. Linköping's fans and players didn't clearly understand that goal refuse either.

Last edited:

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014
Forsling played yesterday against Luleå. Linköping won roadgame 2-4. Forsling played Linköping 2:nd d-pair with Mattias Bäckman (17:39, no points, even, no shots).

No Face No Case

Feb 28, 2012
close thread.

ADAM CLENDENING, D, Boston University

NHL Central Scouting: “Clendening (jumps) out at you playing on the power play with his high level of finesse and skill. He is an excellent skater and hard to pin down when forechecking. He has a very good shot from the point. He is also very adequate in his own zone.”

Red Line Report: “Plays with an abundance of confidence, using his superb stickhandling and passing to start the transition game. Offensively very smart and gifted—has a great snap shot and deft passing skills. One of the best power play quarterbacks in the entire draft. His vision from the point is great, and he uses a low shot/slap pass for tips while patiently walking the blue line laterally to create lanes. Defensively he was a mess most of the year. Rampant turnovers and a lack of defensive zone awareness are problems—he is way too casual in his puckhandling around the net and allows opposing forwards to camp out around the crease. Does play with a bit of whippy, hard edge, though, and is nasty with the stick.”

Hockeysfuture.com: “Clendening is an offensive defenseman blessed with superb puck-moving ability and on-ice vision. His excellent puck skills are one reason why many scouts are so high on Clendening. He can see plays develop and follows them quite well. He can also be found frequently jumping into plays too. Clendening’s ability to move the puck and patience with it makes him an ideal quarterback on the power play. He makes very good decisions with the puck and distributes the puck very well. Clendening can also control the tempo of the game from the blue line. He is an excellent skater with good speed that can keep up with many of the faster opposing forwards. He also transitions quite well too. One area where Clendening will need to improve is keeping his feet moving more consistently. While he is known for his offensive prowess, Clendening is also solid defensively. He doesn’t shy away from the physical side of the game and plays with a good deal of intensity. However, Clendening could stand to utilize his intensity and grit more to the benefit of his team. He possesses a very good shot and can get pucks to the net. As his rookie season at Boston University went along, one area that Clendening showed noticeable improvement in was the quality of shots he was taking."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad