GDT: Canuck Players’ Year End Media Availability

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The logic from Rutherford is very sound. "Let's see how you go about the full season from training camp onwards". If everything is going great then they could negotiate a mid-season extension but with such a limited viewing, is not willing to make that commitment yet. It's refreshing that he took a very public hardline stance on this.
Bruce said he wants to come back. JR said the Canucks will take up their option. JR just placed all the pressure on Bruce. If Bruce isn't back next year it is all on Bruce.

Masterstroke.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Very curious to see if the same hardline stance they are taking with Boudreau expands to the Horvat, Miller, and Boeser negotiations.
Feels like that is the plan. "Here is a deal that makes sense to us. Take it or we trade you."

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I know it's been said, but man are Rutherford and Allvin a breath of fresh air over what we've endured.

I tremendously like a lot of what was said today.

Being proud of how this team competed and worked for a playoff spot doesn't mean the team is suddenly perfect and doesn't need improvements. Creating cap efficiency isn't just about removing bad contracts, but about bringing in better players. Recognizing that our defensive breakouts are awful, and that we rely too much on our goaltending. Wanting Boudreau back but also wanting him to work with a full season before committing term. Looking to negotiate with Brock. Wanting Miller back, but also being realistic about what that needs to look like.

All good stuff.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Imagine listening to real management and then continuing to defend benning on anything really, who was clearly extremely stupid, dumb and in way over his head he was in the Mariana trench.

Sounds like management has a good read and hopefully the process follows.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
"If the numbers get out of wack then we have to make a nonemotional decision, and make a tough decision that won't be popular with anybody"

Oh it'll be popular with me Jim. I have a hunch that every tough, nonemotional decision this summer will be popular with me.

Except a Garland trade for anything close to what his value probably is right now around the league.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Thank God. The numbers won’t make sense for the Canucks, so looks like he’s gone.
JR was very clear that he thinks this club is flawed. We rely on our goalie way too much. No endorsement of Boudreau too. He even sai he doesn’t want the owner paying for three coaches.
But if Boudreau leaves, wouldn’t any new coach only sign if it’s a minimum of three years? So why need extend Boudreau for two more?

Reactions: timw33 and geebaan

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Great presser by Jim and Patrik, these guys know how to build winner and I honestly get Gillis era vibes from them.

Finally this team will heavily invest into facilities, resources, and understand what players to acquire to play a certain way.

These guys will build a championship team here

Reactions: wonton15 and Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

JR was just on 650 and he talked about our club needing more structure. He gave the Kings as an example of a team that plays a good structure and the players don’t cheat that structure to score. He went on quite a bit about our structure needing to improve. Didn’t exactly sound like a ringing endorsement for Boudreau. Although couldn’t the assistants teach structure and Boudreau creates the culture?

Reactions: Canucks LB

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It’s really hard to see how the team moves forward without trading JT Miller. They need cap space, prospects and at least one young D. I just don’t see how they achieve that without trading him. He’s their best asset in the age range where they won’t be truly competitive in his prime.
Even with that trade salary needs to be moved out as the D is still far too expensive. Ideally Myers gets moved as well to create more cap space.
Those two moves if they are executed properly would be a huge first off season.
Then more work next year.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
It's almost obvious that Allvin wants to bring in Rickard Gronberg as the coach but BB won't let that happen for at least another season.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It’s really hard to see how the team moves forward without trading JT Miller. They need cap space, prospects and at least one young D. I just don’t see how they achieve that without trading him. He’s their best asset in the age range where they won’t be truly competitive in his prime.
Even with that trade salary needs to be moved out as the D is still far too expensive. Ideally Myers gets moved as well to create more cap space.
Those two moves if they are executed properly would be a huge first off season.
Then more work next year.
Imagine if we could move OEL?
Miller for a lot of futures.
OEL to clear his cap.
Garland for Pionk.
Post automatically merged:

It's almost obvious that Allvin wants to bring in Rickard Gronberg as the coach but BB won't let that happen for at least another season.
What if BB hears (knows) we are trading Miller? Does he still want to be our lame duck coach for a year we are going to take a step back? He has opportunity right now to go to another team (very likely) and get three years. What about Vegas as a spot for him?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I’m liking what I’m reading. They aren’t getting sucked into the point pace and thinking they can simply tinker around the edges. That’s a major relief.

The one thing I always give credit to Nonis for is in his short tenure he was up front about the deficiencies and what needed to be addressed. And he was more often than not correct. His issue was he would never address the top of the list and what he did address he did so with the likes of Isbister.

I’m hopeful the execution from this crew will be much better and the deficiencies actually get addressed.

Boudreau…I have a feeling BB has let it known he’s got his ear to the ground before he decides if he wants to pick up that option. Which is fair. If I’m BB with that choice I’d be kicking some tires as well.

I also understand the Canucks not wanting to go right to an extension though I’m not sure I agree (for reasons I discussed in another thread). But it’s more clear to me now that this is not a management group that is going to go down the Aquilini route of trying to get a couple home playoff games. They are in it to build something that is viable over the long term. They will be making changes and that shines a bit of a different light on Boudreau.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad