GDT: Canuck Players’ Year End Media Availability

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I always laugh at the thinly veiled shots at the former group. Jim's last comment about Cammi Granato and the player development side of things. I can't remember his exact wording but something to the effect of "they actually know their responsibilities now and feel comfortable reporting to her..." etc

(My paraphrasing.)

I especially enjoyed hearing that Granato will be "holding them accountable".

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
That quote jumped out more than most..as did the 'step back' next year...which Allvin squished with 'we want to improve the team'

The initial assessment on the team has changed from December to now.

Rutherford literally said that his assessment of the team has not changed. He was actually very emphatic about it.

It's important to remember that the Allvin wasn't a part of the organization then. So Allvin is answering one question that was previously answered by another.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
My main takeaway is that Ruthvin have a pretty clear eyed view about the state of the team. Also very interesting to note they are only offering to take the one year option with Boudreau and not offering an extension at this time.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Rutherford literally said that his assessment of the team has not changed.
The proof is in the pudding..I dont think that there's going to be a whole lot of change next season..(as in the core group)

Could see older complimentary players getting shuffled..

I missed the first part of the interview..but from what I heard, it certainly doesnt sound like they're going to do the 'step back' before we get better.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Writing is on the wall. They are right, this team needs to largely be remade and it doesn’t really matter if Boudreau is the coach next year since the same team won’t even be back, he’s quite old, and they don’t yet know what the team looks like long-term and don’t want to commit to a coach yet.

I am waiting for the term “rebuild” to officially be adopted over the summer here.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
My main takeaway is that Ruthvin have a pretty clear eyed view about the state of the team. Also very interesting to note they are only offering to take the one year option with Boudreau and not offering an extension at this time.

The logic from Rutherford is very sound. "Let's see how you go about the full season from training camp onwards". If everything is going great then they could negotiate a mid-season extension but with such a limited viewing, is not willing to make that commitment yet. It's refreshing that he took a very public hardline stance on this.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Impressed by the fact that JR was so candid....'we're the worst team at bringing the puck out of our own end'

Most GM's (or hockey executives) would be 'defensive' when talking about their team weaknesses.

Last edited:

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
This is such a fascinating time to follow the team.

I get anxious seeing some of the things that we're speculated to do, but it seems like a lot of the leaks about our team have been complete bullshit. I've liked a lot of things I've heard from Rutherford/Allvin, but I still have no idea what the direction of the team is going to be.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
On the sports radio they asked this morning whether after watching the games last night you could see the team competing with LA and Edmonton. I think that’s the wrong question as those are really bubble type teams not competing for a Cup.
The question should be whether in a couple of years you can see the team competing with Florida, Carolina, Colorado, Tampa and Toronto to name a few.
I’ll even throw in LA and Anaheim as both teams have very good and deep prospect pools.
The answer to that second question is clearly no. Even if we give the team the benefit of a doubt and assume they are a 106 point team with Boudreau coaching a full season they just don’t have the prospect pool or the cap space to get to the next level. So there has to be some fairly significant changes made imo. At a minimum I think they need to move Myers for cap space and trade JT. Then start rebuilding the D next year.

Reactions: m9

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Very curious to see if the same hardline stance they are taking with Boudreau expands to the Horvat, Miller, and Boeser negotiations.

You can basically bet on it with Miller. I don’t think Boeser and Horvat will have particularly outrageous contract demands. Plus the age consideration.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Biggest takeaways for me:

Boudreau isn't getting an extension. At least not until he gets a chance w/ the group for a full season. He has until June 1st to decide. Rutherford and Allvin firmly stated the players won't be allowed to decide he's a "lame duck" as well.

They very clearly believe there's work to be done on the defensive end of things. Rutherford was very blunt when talking about Dzone exits and how if they want to be a good team they need to fix it.

Rutherford has shown and continues to show how much weight his reputation has since getting here. He's gotten ownership to sign off on upgrading the players arena facilities in both Vancouver and Abbotsford, a new practice facility getting close to finalized and he's brought back the Young Stars tournament. :clap:

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
One thing that also stood out to me is how emphatic Jim was about how terrible we are at zone exits, structure, and knowing what to do when pressured (instead of just throwing it off the wall). To me, I find it so hard not to think about players like Myers/Hunt who do exactly this. There's minimal structure and it's just chaos more times than not. It sounds like they very clearly understand our defense is terrible.

It gives me hope.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
One thing that also stood out to me is how emphatic Jim was about how terrible we are at zone exits, structure, and knowing what to do when pressured (instead of just throwing it off the wall). To me, I find it so hard not to think about players like Myers/Hunt who do exactly this. There's minimal structure and it's just chaos more times than not. It sounds like they very clearly understand our defense is terrible.

It gives me hope.

I really appreciate that they cut straight to the core issues that we've been banging the drum on for a few years: this team relies entirely on getting Vezina calibre goaltending every single night to get a modicum of success and that the team defensive structure is a catastrophe.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
You can basically bet on it with Miller. I don’t think Boeser and Horvat will have particularly outrageous contract demands. Plus the age consideration.

Rutherford was certainly clear, and Allvin brought it up as well, that the team needs to get younger and the majority of players they target will fit into the contention window. I think there's a number they have for Miller (whether that's cap hit or term) but I don't have any sort of sense of what it is.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The fact that they correctly outlined our deficiencies and understand what makes a successful organization is a huge step forward compared to the mess we had previously.

Love the support of Coaches Johnson Granato etc sending the message that you better pull on the rope or your gone and that check points are in place.

Really liked the way JR handled the Boudreau situation and hope this is going to be the template going forward.

Think he's setting the tone for
* no more term extensions without proving you are a fit (Sutter Dickinson etc)
* not gonna let personal ego and money take precedence over the teams ability to win and have a good cap situation (Miller Boeser etc will have to fall into a structure or gone)
* keeps talking about 2 players allowing steps forward and back and Allvin saying no steps back so do the math they are intent on 2 key younger players without accounting for a loss of players
* older free agents will not be bidding war players on July 1st

Gonna be a interesting off season

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
The most telling part of all this media availability was , Tyler Myers saying “the room has gotten better , still not 100% there , but better”.

Doesn’t sound healthy.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Writing is on the wall. They are right, this team needs to largely be remade and it doesn’t really matter if Boudreau is the coach next year since the same team won’t even be back, he’s quite old, and they don’t yet know what the team looks like long-term and don’t want to commit to a coach yet.

I am waiting for the term “rebuild” to officially be adopted over the summer here.
I don't think that's where they going. It feels like a retool, but one that involves a few key players, 2 RHD and 3C, 3W. Big and medium sized pieces. I think that is the right option, if it falls over is just the first 2 years of a rebuild.

Reactions: racerjoe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad