GDT: Canuck Players’ Year End Media Availability

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I was wondering about the outside life w.r.t. Boeser this year. Sad to hear and as I said in a post a few days ago “paid a lot” or not, any professionals performance will be affected by these things.

Tough situation.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

Post automatically merged:

I was wondering about the outside life w.r.t. Boeser this year. Sad to hear and as I said in a post a few days ago “paid a lot” or not, any professionals performance will be affected by these things.

Tough situation.
That's why I'm willing to give him a longer look. Personal, family stuff. An injury in training camp. Once he started to find his game after the switch to Bruce he gets sidelined by Covid. Lets give the guy a proper training camp to come in injury free and see what he's all about.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Demko was definitely hurt the last 10 or so games.

I dont see how its management fault that Petey got caught up in his own head.... But some people do grasp at whatever straws they can to blame Benning

I remember seeing a picture of Brocks dad when they were in Minny in March and he did look a lot worse then what I remembered from previous pictures. My guess is he gets a 2 year deal to try and prove himself again

Reactions: Fatass

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
kuzma is a real asshole. no reason to ask at all. the picture with his dad in minny showed it all

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

I dont see how its management fault that Petey got caught up in his own head.... But some people do grasp at whatever straws they can to blame Benning

I remember seeing a picture of Brocks dad when they were in Minny in March and he did look a lot worse then what I remembered from previous pictures. My guess is he gets a 2 year deal to try and prove himself again

They unnecessarily extended Pearson @3.25MM, they traded for 7.25MM OEL, 4.95MM Garland, signed 2.5MM Poolman, signed a luxury backup for 2.95MM, traded for and signed Dickinson for 2.65MM before getting the Hughes and Pettersson deals done, effectively preventing themselves from even being able to offer Pettersson a 6-8 year deal.

They didn't take care of the most critical free agent first, then fill in the holes with what money was left over, they did the exact opposite, and that is why it is on management that Pettersson wasn't in camp on Day 1. There were even comments by Quinn about being frustrated about being grind down so hard which you can relate to when you see every other bad vet just get whatever their agent asks for without a second thought.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
They unnecessarily extended Pearson @3.25MM, they traded for 7.25MM OEL, 4.95MM Garland, signed 2.5MM Poolman, signed a luxury backup for 2.95MM, traded for and signed Dickinson for 2.65MM before getting the Hughes and Pettersson deals done, effectively preventing themselves from even being able to offer Pettersson a 6-8 year deal.

They didn't take care of the most critical free agent first, then fill in the holes with what money was left over, they did the exact opposite, and that is why it is on management that Pettersson wasn't in camp on Day 1. There were even comments by Quinn about being frustrated about being grind down so hard which you can relate to when you see every other bad vet just get whatever their agent asks for without a second thought.
Where to Start. Pearson is a good player, he was a good signing and is on a decent contract. He is signing wasnt at all unnecessary.

OEL and Garland were brought in because Benning was told its playoffs or your gone, would you just sit there and wait to get fired if your job was on the line?

Petey at 6-8 years would have a 2+ mill high cap hit. People like Drance who are saying he is going to get 12+ mill are deillusional in 2 seasons are Deillusional. He is no Barkov, Mcdavid, Crosby, or Ovechkin.

Halaks cap hit is 2.5mill if you factor in next year BTW. Which is pretty much in line with what a backup goalie makes. Who else would you have had backup? Dipietro isnt and wasnt ready, No one knew about Martin coming into the season and there were still question marks about Demkos ability to play 60+ games, which IMO was a mistake this year. Especially with his injury history. They should have played Halak more.

Dickinson was a whole bunch of Meh, I still think he will be better next season how much better who knows.

Poolman at 2.5 is again not a bad contract. He is a servicable 5/6 and you can move that contract if you have to. I wonder what his illness was.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Where to Start. Pearson is a good player, he was a good signing and is on a decent contract. He is signing wasnt at all unnecessary.

OEL and Garland were brought in because Benning was told its playoffs or your gone, would you just sit there and wait to get fired if your job was on the line?

Petey at 6-8 years would have a 2+ mill high cap hit. People like Drance who are saying he is going to get 12+ mill are deillusional in 2 seasons are Deillusional. He is no Barkov, Mcdavid, Crosby, or Ovechkin.

Halaks cap hit is 2.5mill if you factor in next year BTW. Which is pretty much in line with what a backup goalie makes. Who else would you have had backup? Dipietro isnt and wasnt ready, No one knew about Martin coming into the season and there were still question marks about Demkos ability to play 60+ games, which IMO was a mistake this year. Especially with his injury history. They should have played Halak more.

Dickinson was a whole bunch of Meh, I still think he will be better next season how much better who knows.

Poolman at 2.5 is again not a bad contract. He is a servicable 5/6 and you can move that contract if you have to. I wonder what his illness was.
It’s about how you treat players. We know for the Dickinson, Pearson, Garland Poolman contracts, Benning pretty much just gave them what they asked for and they are not even key core players but he decided to go hardball with our most key players.

You can argue that Petterson should be more mature but at the end of the day he’s a 21/22 year old and those are the effects of Benning deciding to go hard ball on him.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

lmao... zero straws needed.

contract is absolutely on the GM to sort. they waited, botched the entire situation and it had an effect.

to call that "petey got caught in his own head" is just really saying you don't play any remotely serious sport and understand how proper prep is essential. especially for a young player recovering from injury.

Throwback

Sep 12, 2014
Kuzma is a complete asshat for pushing that when the question has already been answered. Sports media here has no tact, it is no wonder it pushes so many away. The fact Quinn had to say next question is brutal, and I'm glad he stood up for Brock, and even moreso for Brock to answer the question in a professional manner.

I wish the best for Brock and his family.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
nothing-speechless.gif

speechless-steve-harvey.gif

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015

contract is absolutely on the GM to sort. they waited, botched the entire situation and it had an effect.

to call that "petey got caught in his own head" is just really saying you don't play any remotely serious sport and understand how proper prep is essential. especially for a young player recovering from injury.
He should have been prepared anyways, He knew he was going to be back in Vancouver for the season no matter what happened. Its not on management for a player to not be properly prepared for the mental and physical challenages of playing sports at a elite level. That is 100% on the player for not be properly prepared and not knowing what he needs to do to be prepared.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Anything I ever blamed Brock for this season, I highly resent. That kid has some serious off ice issues he's been dealing with this year. I wish him nothing but the best and hope he has wonderful offseason...

Also... f*** Benning and Green for what they did to this team

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Pettersson’s quote just really hammers home how badly previous management botched his negotiation. He needed to be at camp from Day 1.
meh he needed to keep himself ready it's not a good excuse given he missed no games outside of pre season games.

Needs to get away from the social media and brand building shit and get after the performance development side

Priorities

Reactions: Hodgy and Grub

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Botched the situation how..?..It takes two sides to do negotiation,and how do you know it wasn’t Petterssons agent that wanted to drag it out as long as possible..?

Star players missing training camp to contract disputes isn’t a rare occurrence…It certainly didn’t affect Quinn Hughes.
Post automatically merged:

Seems that everyone forgets that it took quite a bit of time for EP to find his game under Boudreau…EP was relegated to the 3rd line..saw his ice time shrink ,and was even benched ..

He didn’t miraculously turn a corner in December or January..

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Numba9 and geebaan

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
yes i have in GDTs roasted Brock but whenever things calmed down i was pretty clear that we needed to have some recognition that he will bounce back and has been going through a lot off ice.

Hopefully he does come back with a good number contract and i hope for the best for him and his family.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Ok, so Pettersson missing camp could be a factor in his slow start, but that shouldn't affect him 40 games into the season. I think it was mostly the pressure he felt from his new contract, which he mentioned.

Tanner Pearson is dull as dishwater, but he doesn't get much powerplay time and still contributed 13 even strength goals. If he's a regular on PP1 he is a 20 goal scorer. His contract is not bad at all.

Somebody even brought up Garland's contract, as if he's overpaid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad