Confirmed with Link: Canuck Boss Francesco Aquillini State of the Union

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Francesco Aquilini on the state of the Canucks: It isn't going to be easy but we have to be realistic. There are no short cuts in this game and right now it is about building a core with this club and wanting to win together.

I knew he was just going to spew a load of shit, but this is particularly insulting to fans.

If there are no short cuts, why hire a GM that will trade away our draft picks like candy? A 2nd round pick for Vey looks like a shortcut. As does Forsling for Clendening. As does 33rd overall + McCann for Gudbranson. As does trading a 4th round pick for Pouliot. As does targeting Bonino in the Kesler trade rather than a valuable prospect like Theodore. Not to mention all of the unnecessary, overpaid veteran free agent signings.

This guy is a f***ing clown.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
650am hosts were the worst !

Constantly cutting off Francesco and talking about the stupidest topics, trying waaay too hard to be funny.

Reactions: Love

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
great job on this.

Francesco Aquilini on the rebuild part 2: There is a reason there is not a captain and it is because no one is ready for it yet. Jim made the decision not to have one because no one has stood out. We have a great talent pool for our organization moving forward.

this one merits an ouch.

Reactions: geebaan

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
This morning on Sportsnet 650 Canucks Boss Mr Francesco Aquillini had this to say

Francesco Aquilini on Trevor Linden: I can understand peoples interest in this and I had a great relationship with Trevor. Out of respect for Trevor and the current management team I don't want to say too much.

Please put this pic in the thread, if that's not too much trouble:
main-qimg-2267e228111ff7334c4584154ca2cda6-c

I personally think it's quite fitting.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Captain comments are pretty interesting - seems like the media/fans had all assumed it's just a matter of time for Bo but maybe they aren't so sure and want to see what they have in EP or someone else?

MDZ? (lolz - kidding)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Captain comments are pretty interesting - seems like the media/fans had all assumed it's just a matter of time for Bo but maybe they aren't so sure and want to see what they have in EP or someone else?

MDZ? (lolz - kidding)
Big hella NO to Del zotto getting the C. Like HELL NO

Reactions: Hemty

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
What a weird interview. Aquilini spent a lot of time preaching patience, and then also at one point said the team could become "very good very quickly". Hard to know what he's really thinking.

When Acquilini and Benning say something about patience, or that there are no shortcuts, I think they're just mouthing phrases that sound good to them. I don't think that they've reflected on what the words actually mean, and they don't see the obvious contradiction between what they say and what management has done.

Reactions: geebaan and MS

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

MDZ? (lolz - kidding)

the remarks telegraph they are looking for a young captain (e.g., not an interim captain) . that being the case and adding in the "no one stood out" comment you basically have horvat getting damned with faint praise. the statement is that they do not know who the leader is for the new core. it makes me think they are saving it for elias.

i am more concerned about the fact they will not hire a president to replace linden. the answer is kind of confusing but it sounds like his rationale for that is he wants to be more hands on as an owner. that is no bueno.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
When Acquilini and Benning say something about patience, or that there are no shortcuts, I think they're just mouthing phrases that sound good to them. I don't think that they've reflected on what the words actually mean, and they don't see the obvious contradiction between what they say and what management has done.

it's a marketing platitude.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

Absolutely agree with this. You definitely see them using verbal tics they think the fanbase wants to hear. Like how Benning described the front office as "progressive" after Linden's departure, or how Erik Gudbranson has a good first pass.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
great job on this.

this one merits an ouch.

As much as this ownership group and GM make me sick, they've done 100% the right thing with the captaincy.

It's an incredibly overrated and overanalyzed fan thing and the last thing we need to do is hang that albatross and responsibility around the neck of a young player like Horvat who should be focusing solely on improving his stagnated on-ice performance.

For the record, I believe that the best choice for a transition captain would be Alex Biega - who is easily the most vocal and natural leader in the room and has been a popular captain at every level - but that obviously could never happen unless he was in the limeup every night, which will never happen as long as they insist on playing their inferior pet donkey Gudbranson.

Reactions: cookiefest

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad