Confirmed with Link: Canuck Boss Francesco Aquillini State of the Union

member 290103

Honestly, I am not sure Aqualini is that bright of a guy. I don't know anything about him, have not heard much from him, but the pure fact that he entrusts building his organization to a man like Jim Benning calls into question just how intelligent of an individual he is.

If I was hired to do a job and continually failed over and over again to do it, and continued to guarantee year after year that I would be able to do the job........a logical person would surmise that I was not capable of doing that job. Is Aqualini not rational?

Benning has acquired talented young players because the teams he has built have failed. Aqualini needs to understand that the acquisition of the young players are a consequence of Benning's plan not coming to fruition.

Disappointed in ya Francesco.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Honestly, I am not sure Aqualini is that bright of a guy. I don't know anything about him, have not heard much from him, but the pure fact that he entrusts building his organization to a man like Jim Benning calls into question just how intelligent of an individual he is.

If I was hired to do a job and continually failed over and over again to do it, and continued to guarantee year after year that I would be able to do the job........a logical person would surmise that I was not capable of doing that job. Is Aqualini not rational?

Benning has acquired talented young players because the teams he has built have failed. Aqualini needs to understand that the acquisition of the young players are a consequence of Benning's plan not coming to fruition.

Disappointed in ya Francesco.

Aqualini is the trust fund failson of the family. There's a reason he's not running the family construction business.

member 290103

The thing I find funny is that he was so desperate for playoff revenue that he refused to greenlight a rebuild under Gillis, yet he’s pissed away more than he would’ve earned even if we made the playoffs every year in bad Benning contracts.

Had he just allowed the rebuild to go forward, he would’ve actually saved money on bad contracts, still missed the playoffs the same amount of times, but would have a strong roster of young players ready to start making the playoffs and earning him even more money.

It’s a lesson in how shortsightedness can cost you in the long term if you don’t look at things from the right perspective.

I don't think its a money thing with Aqualini. He has always been willing to shell out $$......there has never been any hint of cheapness from ownership. I just think he wants to win the cup, but has no patience.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't think its a money thing with Aqualini. He has always been willing to shell out $$......there has never been any hint of cheapness from ownership. I just think he wants to win the cup, but has no patience.

The opinion I've held since he went in front of the camera after firing Nonis is that while he may be a big Canuck fan if he wasn't the owner/millionaire he strikes me as the type of fan who calls in to after hour radio shows to bitch about the team.

Being a "fan" of the team you own can be both great or horrible, and everything in between, for the franchise.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
What a weird interview. Aquilini spent a lot of time preaching patience, and then also at one point said the team could become "very good very quickly". Hard to know what he's really thinking.

Those two statements are entirely consistent with each other.

A team can be patient, like the Leafs were for example, then win the lottery or draft a grand slam homerun pick and that pick alone could cause the team to just click and become very good very quickly.

To make the example more concrete I'll use the Canucks. We could be patient for the next year or two, then draft someone like Jack Hughes or Alexis Lafreniere, and they might make such a big immediate impact that the team becomes very good very quickly due to our other prospects (which are collectively rated extremely highly) also graduating at the same time.

Again, nothing inconsistent with that. I'm not accusing you of this but I feel like a lot of people here, due to their significant bias associated with being big fans of Mike Gillis (the guy Mr. Aquilini fired), are very likely to misinterpret Mr. Aquilini's words into putting a negative context on them when, in fact, everything he said today was extremely positive and should give every fan some relief that the ship is headed in the right direction and excitement that we're lucky enough to have such a passionate owner.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Apart from the inconsistencies, it is funny that all the major arguments Aquilini tried to preach are the exact same arguments a certain group of users on this board repeat over and over again. Like they are concerted.

Can you name one inconsistency?

adamzilla

Mar 9, 2008
Vancouver
^

Aquilini "knew" we had 2 prospects in the cupboard, therefore he knew we had to rebuild, but Benning made plenty of moves early on that did not support that whatsoever. You'd think if you're hiring someone for a job that he'd agree with your vision of the future.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Can you name one inconsistency?

Preaching patience and giving out big contracts for FA, saying they have an exciting group of prospects they need to develop and signing veterans which take away spots in the lineup where they could develop properly, saying they are in a rebuild (finally) and the net worth of this regime is negative regarding picks... should I continue?

But if you want to more, please have some fun in the Lindenning Quotes Twitter handle. They have even more stand up material.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Those two statements are entirely consistent with each other.

A team can be patient, like the Leafs were for example, then win the lottery or draft a grand slam homerun pick and that pick alone could cause the team to just click and become very good very quickly.

To make the example more concrete I'll use the Canucks. We could be patient for the next year or two, then draft someone like Jack Hughes or Alexis Lafreniere, and they might make such a big immediate impact that the team becomes very good very quickly due to our other prospects (which are collectively rated extremely highly) also graduating at the same time.

Again, nothing inconsistent with that. I'm not accusing you of this but I feel like a lot of people here, due to their significant bias associated with being big fans of Mike Gillis (the guy Mr. Aquilini fired), are very likely to misinterpret Mr. Aquilini's words into putting a negative context on them when, in fact, everything he said today was extremely positive and should give every fan some relief that the ship is headed in the right direction and excitement that we're lucky enough to have such a passionate owner.

Just something I've only recently noticed.

But... It almost seems like you always take the current regimes side, no matter what the subject or the set of facts we are working with. Have you noticed this? Is it possible your view is slightly biased? Have you tried to adjust for this bias?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Outside of the hockey world, let's just say that I have heard different...

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Just something I've only recently noticed.

But... It almost seems like you always take the current regimes side, no matter what the subject or the set of facts we are working with. Have you noticed this? Is it possible your view is slightly biased? Have you tried to adjust for this bias?

Everyone has some bias or inclination towards who or what they think is on the right side, of course. What I do to counter what might turn that into a significant and unfair bias in my own thinking is I seek out discussion and debate with people who hold different views than I do. This can and has changed my mind on many different issues but in this case has only strengthened and increased my support of the current regime due. I haven’t always been as supportive of the current regime as I am now. I was neutral on the owners for the longest time but I like what I’m hearing from Mr. Aquilini lately.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Everyone has some bias or inclination towards who or what they think is on the right side, of course. What I do to counter what might turn that into a significant and unfair bias in my own thinking is I seek out discussion and debate with people who hold different views than I do. This can and has changed my mind on many different issues but in this case has only strengthened and increased my support of the current regime due. I haven’t always been as supportive of the current regime as I am now. I was neutral on the owners for the longest time but I like what I’m hearing from Mr. Aquilini lately.
If you’re buying what FA is selling I have a sure thing money making proposal I’d like to offer you.

Reactions: MarkMM

member 290103

Aren't the Aquamen accused of being slum lords or something close to it?

I don't doubt it. I think he looks at the Canucks as his "toy" though.....honestly, can you think of an instance where he has cheaped out on spending on the team?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
He probably should have but the question is the "how". Between the Linden departure and this interview, which I admit to not listening to, he's either not getting very good advice from his support network or isn't open to receiving any at all. Regardless of the motivation behind this appearance, whether it was Gillis' spot yesterday or not, you have to control or at least heavily influence the narrative going into it and it doesn't appear they accomplished that. Poor preparation all around including the timing.

I don't believe for a second he hasn't influenced trades and personnel moves and the preaching of patience and taking a patient approach is in direct conflict with a lot of the moves over the past handful of years, what we've seen as fans, and what Linden kind of positioned upon leaving.

This is bang on. Aquilini is getting crushed PR-wise and it has very little to do with his inability to express himself publically. It’s how he’s choosing to address the issues at hand that remain the problem. It’s strategy, not execution. (And I don’t mind one bit that he’s struggling in this regard...)

I think the issue is more that it's something an owner should have done, but it's not really something Aquilini is able to accomplish. Didn't listen to this one but he's never been good when going in front of the camera. I mean that's what he hired Linden for.

Don’t have to be good, just transparent. You’re right when you say that he should have done so. He should have. That’s the right action given the torrent of criticism at the time of Linden’s departure. He did not, and the narrative ran right over him. Big mistake, but one I’m happy he made.

Just think about it: This gopher decided to pop his head out right after the Gillis interview. Like, right after. They couldn’t find him when rumours were swirling after Linden left. Yet, here he is. Right in front of the mic. Doing his thing to make sure he’s not public enemy #1 right after Gillis put the boots to him. Despite what Benning’s Nephew may tell you, PR-wise Aquilini has been laid to waste. The things he should have done, that he had to do, he did not do, and now it’s too late. It will take a monumental shift in fan perception to see this joker as anything but a meddling man baby. In large part due to the lack of transparency he has provided thus far.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

So you've sort of rebelled against the people who have tried to convince you otherwise?

Aren't you worried people won't take what you say seriously when you try to spin obviously negative things in to positive things just to stick to a "side" you've chosen?

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
So you've sort of rebelled against the people who have tried to convince you otherwise?

Aren't you worried people won't take what you say seriously when you try to spin obviously negative things in to positive things just to stick to a "side" you've chosen?

It’s not a rebellion. The reason why I support management and ownership more after discussing with their critics is because I’ve found there to be no real substance behind the criticisms. If there was then I would have to change my mind. Most of the criticisms I see don’t stand up to scrutiny and it feels like they come from a place of misdirected anger from 2011 and the results on the ice since and not out of careful analysis or genuine concern about the direction the team’s headed in. It has been said here that some people didn’t like Jim Benning ever since his first press conference and it certainly feels like that’s the case for a lot the critics so it’s hard to imagine they’re being fair.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
It’s not a rebellion. The reason why I support management and ownership more after discussing with their critics is because I’ve found there to be no real substance behind the criticisms. If there was then I would have to change my mind. Most of the criticisms I see don’t stand up to scrutiny and it feels like they come from a place of misdirected anger from 2011 and the results on the ice since and not out of careful analysis or genuine concern about the direction the team’s headed in. It has been said here that some people didn’t like Jim Benning ever since his first press conference and it certainly feels like that’s the case for a lot the critics so it’s hard to imagine they’re being fair.

I don't understand.

What does 2011 have to do with Jim Benning being incompetent?

You seriously think its lack of analysis on the part of the people who don't want Benning here?

Ofcourse it comes from genuine concern about the direction the team’s headed in. This claim makes no sense on any level.

To me it just strikes odd that you would side with a person in charge of the team instead of the team it self, and put your reputation on line just to spin every single thing to fit the image you are trying to paint.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Most of the criticisms I see don’t stand up to scrutiny and it feels like they come from a place of misdirected anger from 2011 and the results on the ice since and not out of careful analysis or genuine concern about the direction the team’s headed in. It has been said here that some people didn’t like Jim Benning ever since his first press conference and it certainly feels like that’s the case for a lot the critics so it’s hard to imagine they’re being fair.

What are those criticisms that don't stand up to scrutiny?

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER

Hey man do you realize your attempts to scrutinize the critics of Jim and Aqua on this forum are received mostly as an amusing sideshow or as the antics of a precocious child

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
What I do to counter what might turn that into a significant and unfair bias in my own thinking is I seek out discussion and debate with people who hold different views than I do. This can and has changed my mind on many different issues but in this case has only strengthened and increased my support of the current regime due.
? What have you changed your mind on? this just reads like Backfire effect - RationalWiki ...

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I'm sorry, do you actually believe that any scrutiny or criticisms of the current regime are without merit??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad