Canes Trade Talk

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I personally don't think any of them will be moved this coming year, but if you accept the premise that one will be moved, here's my view in order of least likely:

Slavin: No chance in hell
Faulk: Some people think he's available, but I don't. He provides too much offense that the other guys can't so trading him for a forward isn't going to gain as much scoring as people think. Also, he's on the RHD side and Canes only have Faulk and Pesce on that side. I don't think he's going anywhere short term. A couple years down the road if he looks to be going UFA, that's different.
Pesce: Probably not because his value to the team is more than he's probably worth on the outside. Plus, Canes are not deep on RHD side.
Hanifin: Right now, probably the most likely of the group, but that's a "here and now" statement. I don't think they want to move him, but if they decide to, I'd expect they'd be looking for a top notch, young 1C type player (not a package deal).

Like I said though, I really don't see them trading any of them right now.

I think Hanifin - as of today - would be the one traded, as the canes are moving up the ladder a bit and trading Faulk while he's on a good deal and plays such a big role doesn't make sense. This doesnt mean I think Hanifin is being traded or is in any way on the block. I just think if the right forward became available, and RF had to trade one of them to make the team better than Hanifin is the one.

I think it would be a lot easier for one of the AHL guys to step in and take Hanifin's spot than trying to fill Faulk's shoes. Though I'd consider Faulk for the right guy.

As for Kruger, I can't see spending 3 million plus a year on a fourth line guy...even if he's really good at it. If we didn't have jstaal playing "shut down" guy then I could see bringing in a strong defensive guy for the third line but we're seemingly still looking for more scoring to add. I wouldnt be upset to see Kruger, I'm just not sold on it being the move to make next.

What BBA and Bleed both said (although I'm much more against trading Faulk than Bleed is to the point where a deal would REALLY have to knock my socks off) - none of the Big 4 are, I think, names Francis would consider trading but if he were to do so, Hanifin's the most likely based solely on where he is right now.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I'd agree with the general sentiment that Hanifin is the most tradable right now, but only if it brings back a first line offensive player (60+ points per year) that can play right now. If the player being offered is farther out developmentally, or the trade occurs after next January, then I bet Faulk is the guy on the block. Not for talent reasons, but for contract horizon reasons. No reason to lose two defenders (Hanifin at trade and Faulk as UFA) within 2+ years time if the payoff in team performance isn't great and swift. So if we move one this offseason, Hanifin. But if the move is much into next season, probably Faulk.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I feel that it’s unlikely, but I still keep my fingers crossed that an opportunity to do more of a quantity for quality trade for that forward presents itself (i.e. Bean/Fleury + 1st ++.)

The more I watch the Top 4, the more I want to see that group stay together for some time to come. Between Slavin’s defense and surprisingly, playmaking, Faulk’s goal scoring, Hanifin’s skating and Pesce’s versatility, that group has pretty much everything you can ask for, aside from an impact physical presence. It’s a really a nice mix of talent.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I feel that it’s unlikely, but I still keep my fingers crossed that an opportunity to do more of a quantity for quality trade for that forward presents itself (i.e. Bean/Fleury + 1st ++.)

The more I watch the Top 4, the more I want to see that group stay together for some time to come. Between Slavin’s defense and surprisingly, playmaking, Faulk’s goal scoring, Hanifin’s skating and Pesce’s versatility, that group has pretty much everything you can ask for, aside from an impact physical presence. It’s a really a nice mix of talent.

A trade like this depends on the right trading partner. In theory, Colorado should be open to this type of deal given that they are at the beginning of a rebuild (but that's not what Sakic wants). That's the type of team that might trade a "young-ish" proven scorer for assets. But as has been said before, these types of deals are few and far between.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad