Canes Trade Talk

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Trade Idea:

To NYR
Ron Hainsey

To CAR
$1 Pizza Slice Places (Specifically Two Bros)

picture.php

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Something around

To CHI: Jay Mac

To CAR: Marcus Kruger

has 2 more years after this one at 3 mil cap hit

We may have to make a small add

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
This isn't a trade deadline deal. But the Rangers and the Caps are likely to lose Raanta & Grubauer to the expansion draft if they don't do anything about them. After watching Martin Jones and Cam Talbot go from being solid backups to being pretty good starters, it would be interesting to take a chance on one of these guys. Both have had pretty great seasons, they are just stuck behind some great goalies.

I see this more as offseason pre expansion draft trade as New York and Washington are going to want a solid backup going into the playoffs. Also the price might be a little bit lower than normal due to them having the opportunity to lose them for nothing.

Jones went for a late 1st

Talbot went for a late 2nd, 3rd, and 7th rounder

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
jay can step in and fill the same role for them all while giving them some cap space.

Cap space that they don't need to save until next year.

This isn't a trade deadline deal. But the Rangers and the Caps are likely to lose Raanta & Grubauer to the expansion draft if they don't do anything about them.

Which means Francis would be effectively saying "enjoy Las Vegas, Wardo!"

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
This isn't a trade deadline deal. But the Rangers and the Caps are likely to lose Raanta & Grubauer to the expansion draft if they don't do anything about them. After watching Martin Jones and Cam Talbot go from being solid backups to being pretty good starters, it would be interesting to take a chance on one of these guys. Both have had pretty great seasons, they are just stuck behind some great goalies.

I see this more as offseason pre expansion draft trade as New York and Washington are going to want a solid backup going into the playoffs. Also the price might be a little bit lower than normal due to them having the opportunity to lose them for nothing.

Jones went for a late 1st

Talbot went for a late 2nd, 3rd, and 7th rounder

I'd think Grubauer would be the better target of the two given Holtby's age compared to the King and the fact that the Caps have a pretty good prospect waiting in the wings.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I'd think Grubauer would be the better target of the two given Holtby's age compared to the King and the fact that the Caps have a pretty good prospect waiting in the wings.

I agree. Though The King has a NMC, so he will be automatically protected. Which means Raanta is going to have to get exposed. Just like Murray and Fleury, though I think the Pens will find a way to trade Fleury and obviously protect Murray.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think in at least one of those cases, possibly both, these will end up being one of those situations where the team trades picks/prospects to keep Vegas from selecting their back up goalie.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
jay can step in and fill the same role for them all while giving them some cap space.

I don't know about you but I'd rather have Kruger. He's the better player, clearly. So they're making their team worse for the postseason when they are currently under the cap even with Kruger. Maybe if they were looking to make another big acquisition at the deadline and had to clear salary but otherwise I see this as a move Chicago would make in the summer just like they do every year.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I agree. Though The King has a NMC, so he will be automatically protected. Which means Raanta is going to have to get exposed. Just like Murray and Fleury, though I think the Pens will find a way to trade Fleury and obviously protect Murray.

Well, my point with Raanta was that if he is worth more to the Rangers than Grubauer is to the Caps, they may find it worth their while to "make a deal" with Vegas to not take him.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I can't imagine the pressure GMRF is going to be under at this TDL. At what point does he decide if we're buyers or sellers? If the latter, is the locker room going to be able to hold together through 2 years of him basically giving up on them? And spare me the "they're professionals" ********, they're human too. Even though we don't really have anything to sell, any move where we're bringing back picks for able bodied NHLers is going to look bad. It just feels like the return wouldn't justify the message he'd be sending to the team. Seems like his only two choices will be to stand pat (we like our group) or buy, if the price is right.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I like Grubauer, and I'm not against making that move, but for every Talbot and Jones, there are Eddie Lack and Robin Lehner type outcomes.

As for Kruger, he seems more like the guy we get for a 5th and some fringe player, and they throw in a higher pick or prospect in the offseason.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I like Grubauer, and I'm not against making that move, but for every Talbot and Jones, there are Eddie Lack and Robin Lehner type outcomes.

As for Kruger, he seems more like the guy we get for a 5th and some fringe player, and they throw in a higher pick or prospect in the offseason.

You're ****ing crazy man. Kruger at this point could fetch a late 1st.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
You're ****ing crazy man. Kruger at this point could fetch a late 1st.

I'm not talking about his actual value, but the value of the cap space that they always seem to need. That can affect value. Of course, I was exaggerating a bit for effect.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I'm not talking about his actual value, but the value of the cap space that they always seem to need. That can affect value. Of course, I was exaggerating a bit for effect.

Psst... these Kruger value posts are due to some guy on the trade board calling him a game changer worth at least 2 2nd round picks...

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I can't imagine the pressure GMRF is going to be under at this TDL.

I imagine this year he might not feel any pressure at the deadline because I think he is really targeting the time between the end of the season and the expansion draft as a time to make hay. The only thing he is probably considering with any seriousness is trading Hainsey to a contender. He could get a 2nd or 3rd round pick and get a chance to go to the playoffs. Other than that, given the teams performance and our rebuild, he is probably best off just standing pat and giving the guys a chance vs. selling or buying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad