Canes Trade Talk

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Anyone think it possible that Chicago would take one of our 2nds and two 3rds for Kruger, Darling, and DeBrincat? They are again up against it cap-wise this summer and Kruger has no NTC. Kruger has two years left at $3+M, but would be very good 4th line center on our team. Plus getting DeBrincat as a prospect would be a coup. I also added Darling for the exclusive negotiation rights if the trade takes place early enough ahead of the exclusive window that Vegas has prior to the expansion draft. I’d even consider swapping 1sts instead of the 2nd and two 3rds if they wanted it as long as we didn’t win one of the three lottery slots. That would put our 1st from Chicago in the range to maybe select one of the very good goalie prospects available that probably go before our 2nd rounders come up.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Here's the thing on the window that Vegas has, I can't really see them trying to sign anyone since it would count as their selection from that team.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Anyone think it possible that Chicago would take one of our 2nds and two 3rds for Kruger, Darling, and DeBrincat? They are again up against it cap-wise this summer and Kruger has no NTC. Kruger has two years left at $3+M, but would be very good 4th line center on our team. Plus getting DeBrincat as a prospect would be a coup. I also added Darling for the exclusive negotiation rights if the trade takes place early enough ahead of the exclusive window that Vegas has prior to the expansion draft. I’d even consider swapping 1sts instead of the 2nd and two 3rds if they wanted it as long as we didn’t win one of the three lottery slots. That would put our 1st from Chicago in the range to maybe select one of the very good goalie prospects available that probably go before our 2nd rounders come up.

Seems relatively steep. I wouldn't mind adding Kruger. But even though he doesn't have negative value, it would definitely be something that is helping out their cap situation. I'd like to get Darling and get him locked up, but hopefully there would be a conditional pick back to us the next year if he doesn't sign. DeBrincat is very very risky, although potentially very high reward. I suppose as long as we got back some protection on the Darling acquisition, or got to speak with his agent beforehand, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

As for the Vegas thing, sure, it would take away one of their picks, but there are a few teams where the pickings will be slim in the draft, and signing a FA wouldn't be the worst thing for them.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Jets fan here...looking at the incredible depth of expansion draft exempt quality D, I wonder what you think about trading 1 of your guys for the Jets 1st round pick? For discussion purposes, lets say the pick is #8 overall. The Jets need a top 4 LHD in the worst way.

What say you?

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Jets fan here...looking at the incredible depth of expansion draft exempt quality D, I wonder what you think about trading 1 of your guys for the Jets 1st round pick? For discussion purposes, lets say the pick is #8 overall. The Jets need a top 4 LHD in the worst way.

What say you?

Trading one of our D for a draft pick at this time wont be happening in any shape or form. We are at a point that if we are trading from our defensive depth 99% chance it's going to be for a package for a first line forward.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

What say you?

Our top-4 LHD are Hanifin and Slavin. One of them for the 8th pick this year? How about no and hell no? Now, if you want to trade for Fleury, then the #8 pick this year plus a significant forward add would be a reasonable discussion.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Our top-4 LHD are Hanifin and Slavin. One of them for the 8th pick this year? How about no and hell no? Now, if you want to trade for Fleury, then the #8 pick this year plus a significant forward add would be a reasonable discussion.

Sorry, I did not mean to suggest trading your top 4 LHD. Slavin is more a borderline #1 guy and not even a possibility. I thought possibly Hanifin could be available (and yes the Jets would have to add) because you also have Fleury, Bean and Carrick in the pipeline.

I was thinking a guy like Fleury would be a possibility because he is ready for the NHL and is stuck behind some very good D. What is considered a reasonable add?

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
Sorry, I did not mean to suggest trading your top 4 LHD. Slavin is more a borderline #1 guy and not even a possibility. I thought possibly Hanifin could be available (and yes the Jets would have to add) because you also have Fleury, Bean and Carrick in the pipeline.

I was thinking a guy like Fleury would be a possibility because he is ready for the NHL and is stuck behind some very good D. What is considered a reasonable add?

Hanifin for Ehlers. Let's make it happen captain.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Honestly, I don't know. But our GM is VERY happy with Fleury's progress this year (McKeown's too, he's a RHD) at the AHL level, so the add would have to be good. Now, I'm not saying that the add would be worth it to you for Fleury, but for us, Fleury represents a guy that could replace the current performance of a guy like Hanifin, thus allowing us to maybe trade Hanifin for a much bigger fish...a top 3 forward type. So getting us to bite on a Fleury for 1st+, the plus would have to be big enough that we then put aside our thoughts of using one of our higher profile players to get that top-3 forward. As to which of your prospects/players would meet those needs, I'll admit I don't know enough about your team to make a good choice.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

I don't see the Canes wanting to trade our D prospects for draft picks, particularly if it's as low as 8th overall. Canes need NHL talent now, not more draft picks which may not be NHL ready for a few years. If they make any moves, I more see the Canes offering someone like Fleury + some of our draft picks for top 6 forward help.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

I don't see us moving our picks for a package where the predominant value is futures. Even though I'm not sure Kruger would waive to come to Carolina and I think he'd be a great addition to our 4th line, it is about $1.5 to $2 million more than I'd want to spend (at the most) for my 4C. And yes, I know we have the money, but I think there are better options. I also hate that Darling wouldn't be a sure thing. Finally, DeBrincat won't sniff the NHL for another couple of years in my estimation.

My guess is Ronnie is looking for impact now, not a few years down the road (or at least that's what I'm hoping).

Here's the thing on the window that Vegas has, I can't really see them trying to sign anyone since it would count as their selection from that team.

Keep in mind that they can also negotiate with RFAs. I could easily see them picking from several RFAs that hadn't been protected and/or yet under contract.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Alright, another proposal....would anyone be willing to trade both Fleury and McKeown to Colorado for their 1st if it were 1OA this year. They'd get two ready defensemen for next year and we could draft a #1C of the future. It would be a bit steep and a bit of a risk, but I think I'd do it.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Maybe if there is no market for using either of those guys to get a young, proven option. Don't really see it happening though.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I don't see us moving our picks for a package where the predominant value is futures. Even though I'm not sure Kruger would waive to come to Carolina and I think he'd be a great addition to our 4th line, it is about $1.5 to $2 million more than I'd want to spend (at the most) for my 4C. And yes, I know we have the money, but I think there are better options. I also hate that Darling wouldn't be a sure thing. Finally, DeBrincat won't sniff the NHL for another couple of years in my estimation.

You're criminally underrating Kruger here, the guy is a gamebreaker when given the proper opportunity.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Alright, another proposal....would anyone be willing to trade both Fleury and McKeown to Colorado for their 1st if it were 1OA this year. They'd get two ready defensemen for next year and we could draft a #1C of the future. It would be a bit steep and a bit of a risk, but I think I'd do it.

Even though these guys aren't elite prospects like McDavid, Eichel, Matthews,& Laine I think Patrick & Hischer at this time are still a lot more valuable than Fleury + McKeown by far.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yeah, but I'd also imagine that the teams would have a chance to match.

One would think, but from what I read that was unclear. Also, McPhee is looking to build a team that's fairly competitive right away. So he'l spend some jack early I'd imagine.

From a player's perspective, especially one searching for a nice payday, living and playing in Vegas wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Even though these guys aren't elite prospects like McDavid, Eichel, Matthews,& Laine I think Patrick & Hischer at this time are still a lot more valuable than Fleury + McKeown by far.

Maybe. But maybe not for the Avalanche. They have a basket full of forwards and almost nothing worth speaking of for the back end in their system. Getting two guys who are ready (Francis's words, not mine) now jumpstarts the Avs road back to competitive, whereas the guys at the top of this year's draft still have one or two years to mature before they are likely ready for the NHL. And they don't come close to fixing what is wrong with the Avs in the first place.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Sabres fan wondering if Carolina were to trade any of their big 4 defensemen (Faulk, Slavin, Hanifin, Pesce) who would be most likely to be dealt? I would assume Faulk, but he's the one true QB it seems. So maybe Pesce? But he's expansion exempt and is on his ELC and likely won't cost a ton on his next deal either.

I feel like Slavin & Hanifin are the most untouchable.

But again, I'm not a fan of your team and don't watch them regularly, so out of those four, if one were dealt for offensive help, who's most likely to be dealt?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Sabres fan wondering if Carolina were to trade any of their big 4 defensemen (Faulk, Slavin, Hanifin, Pesce) who would be most likely to be dealt? I would assume Faulk, but he's the one true QB it seems. So maybe Pesce? But he's expansion exempt and is on his ELC and likely won't cost a ton on his next deal either.

I feel like Slavin & Hanifin are the most untouchable.

But again, I'm not a fan of your team and don't watch them regularly, so out of those four, if one were dealt for offensive help, who's most likely to be dealt?

I personally don't think any of them will be moved this coming year, but if you accept the premise that one will be moved, here's my view in order of least likely:

Slavin: No chance in hell
Faulk: Some people think he's available, but I don't. He provides too much offense that the other guys can't so trading him for a forward isn't going to gain as much scoring as people think. Also, he's on the RHD side and Canes only have Faulk and Pesce on that side. I don't think he's going anywhere short term. A couple years down the road if he looks to be going UFA, that's different.
Pesce: Probably not because his value to the team is more than he's probably worth on the outside. Plus, Canes are not deep on RHD side.
Hanifin: Right now, probably the most likely of the group, but that's a "here and now" statement. I don't think they want to move him, but if they decide to, I'd expect they'd be looking for a top notch, young 1C type player (not a package deal).

Like I said though, I really don't see them trading any of them right now.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think Hanifin - as of today - would be the one traded, as the canes are moving up the ladder a bit and trading Faulk while he's on a good deal and plays such a big role doesn't make sense. This doesnt mean I think Hanifin is being traded or is in any way on the block. I just think if the right forward became available, and RF had to trade one of them to make the team better than Hanifin is the one.

I think it would be a lot easier for one of the AHL guys to step in and take Hanifin's spot than trying to fill Faulk's shoes. Though I'd consider Faulk for the right guy.

As for Kruger, I can't see spending 3 million plus a year on a fourth line guy...even if he's really good at it. If we didn't have jstaal playing "shut down" guy then I could see bringing in a strong defensive guy for the third line but we're seemingly still looking for more scoring to add. I wouldnt be upset to see Kruger, I'm just not sold on it being the move to make next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad