Canes Trade Talk

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Jets fan here...the Jets won't trade Trouba this year and can't trade Buff...would the Canes be interested in Wheeler? We could make it a blockbuster and throw in a 2st and Mathieu Perreault for a better return?

What could we get back for Wheeler, MP and 2018 first rounder?

Kaljis

Jul 3, 2013
Jets fan here...the Jets won't trade Trouba this year and can't trade Buff...would the Canes be interested in Wheeler? We could make it a blockbuster and throw in a 2st and Mathieu Perreault for a better return?

Wheeler is great and prolly cost a lot. But if/when we trade for top line player he must be younger.

And imo you guys shouldn't trade ur captain.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think you're looking at the wrong team to move Wheeler to. I'd love to have him, but he doesn't really fit our window. We'd only have him for two years, and by the time he's up, if he even signs, he'll probably get overpaid for a guy at his age at that point. We're probably much more likely to go for a guy or guys that are a better fit for the age range of our build.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
What about Justin Williams in the offseason? Proven veteran, good possession numbers, probably not that expensive. We could use another good RW.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
What about Justin Williams in the offseason? Proven veteran, good possession numbers, probably not that expensive. We could use another good RW.

If Julius Peppers can come back to Carolina so can Justin Williams.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

I really like Wheeler, and think he's one of the most under the radar guys that has put up solid play, if we was more like Pitt, I'd be all over getting him. But we need to focus on just building on what RF has done.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

If Julius Peppers can come back to Carolina so can Justin Williams.

Well, other than why would he?

If the Canes were a contender, then sure, but why would Justin Williams go to a team like the Canes in his situation. I don't see it.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Which he might be inclined to accept once he wins his Cup in Washington.

60080607.jpg

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
That's like saying millionaires don't care about making millions more.

What I'm saying is, it's by no means a lock that he'd go back to Washington, cup or not -- and if he can make more in Raleigh than he can in DC, then I think it's just as likely he takes the money as that he tries for an elusive cup for Ovie.

Again: we're assuming overpayment.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
What I'm saying is, it's by no means a lock that he'd go back to Washington, cup or not -- and if he can make more in Raleigh than he can in DC, then I think it's just as likely he takes the money as that he tries for an elusive cup for Ovie.

Again: we're assuming overpayment.

My point exactly. He's trying to get one last bite at that apple, anybody thinking differently really doesn't know athletes.

However, once he goes for the last chance, win, lose, or draw, he's going to be more likely to take the money and run. Plus, I think the Caps would target Oshie more than J-Willie.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Then again, knowing he has precious little time left in The NHL, one could make the argument that he will want one more shot at the Cup every year from now on, and that the difference in overpayment is chump change to someone like JWill, who has been receiving multi-million dollar contracts for well over 10 years, and being a part of a consistently winning team is so much more fun than being on a team that struggles at times.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Then again, knowing he has precious little time left in The NHL, one could make the argument that he will want one more shot at the Cup every year from now on, and that the difference in overpayment is chump change to someone like JWill, who has been receiving multi-million dollar contracts for well over 10 years, and being a part of a consistently winning team is so much more fun than being on a team that struggles at times.

The end of career logic cuts both ways for someone who's won as much as Williams has. Multi-millionaire athletes go broke not long after retiring all of the time; so maximizing his earnings over these last few years in which he can earn NHL money, could be very tempting.

Last edited:

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
A thought.

After drafts if Howard agrees to waive NMC.

Hanifin & Lack to Detroit for Nyqvist/rights to Tatar, 1st 2018, 2nd 2019 & Howard.

You lose give up from a position of strenght + dump Lack. Get a top-6 winger, upgrade over Ward, 1st & 2nd.

Fair deal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad