GDT: Canes @ Sabres 6 PM EST TV:MSG Radio:WGR550 Go for Three

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
hot take .... turning point of this Team (this season) scoring the tying goal 2 minutes after the Carolina went up 2 - 1 in the 3rd period
Eh we'll see. I just want to be entertained the rest of the year.

I will say it does seem like they're finally able to see the details of the defensive side of the game.. But it just hasn't come with the scoring yet.

I said in the thread but that, some roster tinkering in the spots we've talked about ad nauseam and removing the special team coaches and putting in someone who can make it even average.. and I think we're confident going into next year.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
NST seems to have them winning their SCF/SCA matchup most nights but I haven't looked for full line numbers like over at Moneypuck...

Hmmmm.... looking there and they are surprisingly one of their lowest forward combos at XGA/60 for the season. Well that was not what I was expecting but that means they're either not giving up higher danger chances and/or they are keeping teams from getting to those places by their disruptiveness. Seems like there is a gap in terms of their productivity in that model - 11th in xGF/60 of all the Sabres' forward combos this year over 40 minutes of TOI out of 15 such combos. Interesting.
I think we need more data as Krebs has really been on the past week and a half or so. I wonder if that's the new him.

JJP is still a grab bag of all kinds of stuff, and the other two often have to cover up for him..but he creates a lot too. Same can be said for Krebs but little by little the bad plays are becoming less frequent. Benson is learning how to use JJP and they're getting offensive chemistry.

Unheralded too were the shot blocks from Cozens and Greenway on that one late PK. Both hobbled, both stuck it out.
Is Cozens a winger now? Suddenly we need Mitts at C.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think we need more data as Krebs has really been on the past week and a half or so. I wonder if that's the new him.

JJP is still a grab bag of all kinds of stuff, and the other two often have to cover up for him..but he creates a lot too. Benson is learning how to use him and they're getting offensive chemistry.

I mean, if they can figure a way toward doing that consistently... it isn't visually what I was expecting but if they're not giving up a lot of high danger stuff, I'll take it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Is Cozens a winger now? Suddenly we need Mitts at C.

At the moment, he's the RW on that line. Perhaps that's their solution - Mitts centering the 2nd line with Cozens shifted to wing - to Quinn being out. It gets weird to think what happens if/when they move Girgensons. Who gets that mucking duty? Do they push someone in from Rochester or do they shuffle someone in from outside?

Also that Mitts line had poor showing tonight. I didn't get to see who they matched up with for two periods, curious if that continues or if they go back to being stronger at 5-on-5 than not like they were after being put together. Could be just a bad matchup night.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It's weird to have that after so long of it being both always, isn't it?
Sure is. They still seem to give away the puck a lot but only in the ozone, but they can recover more easily, and they don't do it in the dzone anymore. Can probably chalk that up to more chemistry with the D too.

Reactions: Fearnot

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
The middle two lines have been keeping this team in games the past week. Finally getting chemistry going.
Which is absolutely a good thing (obviously). Tage is getting to prime areas he just can't put the puck in. Will come eventually and hopefully we can string some entertaining hockey to finish the season.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Bunting is so irritating. Didn't realize Aho was a bit dirty. Got away with at least 2 slashes.

Anyway, that was one of the more entertaining and better played games of the year. Luuuk looking like a very legit starter this year. There were a lot of good things in this game, but Bryson and Power deserve props for an overall unexpectedly good game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad