Canes owner: "We won't draft defense in the 1st round as long as I'm here"

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
Will draft:
Offense first forwards and defenders
Will not draft:
Defense first forwards and defenders (and goalies?)

Makes sense to me, why do everyone assume he won't draft defence/defenders?
Probably same reason most people can't grasp who deserves the Norris... :sarcasm:

Bobby Terrance

Jul 21, 2018
This is... Well I guess good news for 30 soon to be 31 other teams but... wow talk about someone who needs to put their foot in their mouth. Just a stupid comment from someone who clearly doesn't understand the game. Does make you wonder how long this regime will last together in Carolina if this is his take. Doubt he will be happy with the product for much longer. I'm sure he'd take losing 5-4 over winning 1-0 based on these comments.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Right around where he was expected to go. Wasn’t seen as a reach at all. Obviously in hindsight it didn’t work out but most picks don’t.

If that is the result of "expectations" and most picks don't pan out, then what does it even matter what Dundon said? Its all a crapshoot anyway, right?

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
The statement is hyperbolic, and should come with a qualifier or two, but it's not a stupid sentiment, at all.

Since the 2005 lockout, there have been only 6* defensemen that won a Cup with the team that drafted them in the first round: That number doesn't expand significantly if you go back a decade before that.

Kronwall, Orpik, Seabrook, Doughty, Carlson, Maatta.

In contrast, the Caps alone had 6 forwards they drafted in the first round last season.

*Not counting Ryan Whitney, who didn't play in the Pens initial post-lockout Cup run.
Owners should not be interfering. That's the problem with this. Not the statement.

Last edited:

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Kinda agree with him to an extent. Their D core is young and reliable while their problems are putting the puck into the net and goalies.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
What an embarrassing time to be a Canes fan. Seriously what is going on :laugh:

Between the celebration post game, the hating white jerseys to now not drafting D early for entertainment purposes... :facepalm:

You've got to be kidding. They have a new hands-on owner with opinions. What's the problem?!

Still going on about the game-winning skate around the rink? Get over yourself - Canes fans seem to like it. That's all that should matter.

Embarrassing for Canes fans?! get over yourself and your elitist views of other hockey fans. :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
What an embarrassing time to be a Canes fan. Seriously what is going on :laugh:

Between the celebration post game, the hating white jerseys to now not drafting D early for entertainment purposes... :facepalm:

He doesn't want to draft defensemen in the 1st because they "can be bought". Not cause they're boring.

The team has 5 great defensemen right now b/t 22 and 26. They have a crop of young defense prospects to boot. They're (were, anyway, hefore they put up 9 in the last two games) 2nd to last in goals against and not much help coming up the pipeline, in part because 4 of their 6 1st round picks between 2011 and 2016 were used on dmen. Fans are vocally frustrated after being suckered into high expectations because of big talk in the offseason and a hot start.

Context, people.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png

Reactions: OhhhNo and Cellee

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I get they have some good young defensemen but what if you know... theres a Doughty type available one year and they have a top 5 pick?

Is this his top secret strategy to move them to Houston?

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
This guy :laugh:
First he doesn't like white jerseys, now he doesn't like good d-men :shakehead
Carolina could be in for a fun ride

Wait, what? I didn't read that "he doesn't like good d-men". Admittedly, I don't follow drafting and prospects all that closely. I also know there are tons of "experts" here on HF Boards.

Don't mean to pick on this post because there are posts with similar implications. But it's his team so I guess he can evaluate as he wishes but nowhere did I read he "doesn't like good d-men". Yea, maybe his priorities sound a little different.

Andrei Markov was not a first round pick. I'm sure that not all the "good d-men" were drafted in the first round.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Andrei Markov was not a first round pick. I'm sure that not all the "good d-men" were drafted in the first round.

Just playing the odds, you are more likely to find a top end defenseman then a top end forward drafting 11+ (although for the sake of argument looking at 2010-2015, my statement would be wrong for 11-30 picks, it does seem to work when you go 2nd round and beyond)

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
He doesn't want to draft defensemen in the 1st because they "can be bought". Not cause they're boring.

The team has 5 great defensemen right now b/t 22 and 26. They have a crop of young defense prospects to boot. They're (were, anyway, hefore they put up 9 in the last two games) 2nd to last in goals against and not much help coming up the pipeline, in part because 4 of their 6 1st round picks between 2011 and 2016 were used on dmen. Fans are vocally frustrated after being suckered into high expectations because of big talk in the offseason and a hot start.

Context, people.
Context? I was merely going by the quote in the OP. It says at the end "if we lose 5 to 4 I'll have fun at least".

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So if the next Lidstrom comes up in a draft, someone that is the sure thing to be a great, generational d-man, like the McDavid of the d-men, and Canes had that pick, he wouldn't do it huh?

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I get they have some good young defensemen but what if you know... theres a Doughty type available one year and they have a top 5 pick?
Hindsight is 20-20. Luke Schenn or Zach Bogosian were taken in the top 5 that same year, what if you end up with one of them instead?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad