Canes owner: "We won't draft defense in the 1st round as long as I'm here"

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
This could also hurt them or at least have an impact - say if the team after them wanted the BPA, who was a defenceman - then Carolina would have no bargaining power to do a pick swap since the next team would know Carolina wasn't taking that player

Reactions: Voight

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
That team is a mess alone, always has been. Waddell isn't a great GM either.

I've always thought of the 2006 cup win an apology to Rod Brind'Amour from the hockey gods for what happened to him in Philadelphia, which brought bad luck to Eric Lindros for the rest of his career.

Reactions: Voight

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
That doesn't apply here.... hes just being ignorant by saying he won take a defence man.
Yes it does. Taking defensive defense-men in the hops of getting a Drew Doughty one day is going against the odds. Defensive D-men bust at a MUCH higher rate than offensives skilled forwards. Taking one is a much long shot gamble compared to taking an offensively gifted forward.

This is a couple years old now but they looked at who the Canucks would have ended up with if they drafted the highest scoring CHL forward available at every pick.
We think the Vancouver Canucks may have a scouting problem(!!!!)

article_921851a6-30fc-475f-b089-0fe7ceade3e3.png

hes just being ignorant by saying he won take a defence man.

He said he wouldn't draft Defense, which is not quite the same thing. Offensive players are MUCH more likely to go on to be good NHLers than defensive players are.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I wish the caps did that the last 3 draft instead of going for Samsonov/Johansen/Alexeyev. Only Samsonov has high end potential and it's still a waste because you can always pull a Grubauer or a Copley out of your ass.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
This is a couple years old now but they looked at who the Canucks would have ended up with if they drafted the highest scoring CHL forward available at every pick.
We think the Vancouver Canucks may have a scouting problem(!!!!)

article_921851a6-30fc-475f-b089-0fe7ceade3e3.png

Just to point out it looks like they picked the highest scoring forward between where they picked and their next pick. In 2000 for instance Ramzi Abid had 135 points and they list him as there 71st pick while Justin Williams had 83 points but was picked with their 23rd pick, Michel Ouellett who was listed at 93rd pick had 89 points

Just going through other years Nigel Dawes would be picked ahead of Mike Richards, Kyle Wellwood would be picked ahead of Jason Pominville and Nic Petan would be picked before Anthony Mantha

Last edited:

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
The statement is slightly less stupid if you realize he said "defense" and offense" instead of "defensemen" and "forwards". So he might draft defensemen in the first round they just have to be good at offense. But it's still pretty stupid.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Someone have so much money, it simply doesn't mean anything anymore...

How I would love to see a day when HFB users would somehow manage pool that what 600+ million dollars and start their own expansion team, all managerial decisions made by simple majority in polls.

Such team wouldn't do worse than an average NHL team does currently. :sarcasm:

"we're trading our best player to the Leafs for Ron Hainsey and a 7th? really?"

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad