Canes owner: "We won't draft defense in the 1st round as long as I'm here"

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I mean idk how serious this was or was not. But, if they have a chance to draft a D that is head and shoulders above the F's and G's, they should do BPA and flip him if need be for a more ready F of G.
Why not just trade the pick? Ds need more time to mature

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
While that is a silly thing to say, and "If we lose, I'll have fun" is the absolute last thing your employees should ever hear you say, I think drafting defensemen who aren't offensively gifted in the first round is about as reliable as drafting goalies. Even optimistically, it'll be a half a decade before you are getting results. By the time your first round pick is a reliable NHLer, he'll be a free agent.

I hated every time my team used a first round pick on some hulking specimen with no puck skills or real hockey sense. Even if you think you can teach defense to anyone, it's going to be almost ten years before they are the player you actually wanted to draft. The Pens drafted Brooks Orpik in 2000 and he wasn't what they wanted him to be until 2008.

He also hates white jerseys
That's too bad for him, he's not wearing colors at home and on the road.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
While that is a silly thing to say, and "If we lose, I'll have fun" is the absolute last thing your employees should ever hear you say, I think drafting defensemen who aren't offensively gifted in the first round is about as reliable as drafting goalies. Even optimistically, it'll be a half a decade before you are getting results. By the time your first round pick is a reliable NHLer, he'll be a free agent.

I hated every time my team used a first round pick on some hulking specimen with no puck skills or real hockey sense. Even if you think you can teach defense to anyone, it's going to be almost ten years before they are the player you actually wanted to draft. The Pens drafted Brooks Orpik in 2000 and he wasn't what they wanted him to be until 2008.

That's too bad for him, he's not wearing colors at home and on the road.

I wish the Penguins missed only on hulking first rounders who play D.

We basically miss on every pick we use on D

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Way to completely undermine your GM and scouting department.

The canes do have scouts, right?

HappySabresFan

Jul 1, 2018
Way to completely undermine your GM and scouting department.

The canes do have scouts, right?
They got aho, pesce, and slavin for a reason, although with Mr. No D and his puppet Dumb Waddell at the helm I worry their input will be minimized

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
Draft the best player available in the first round. I guess that this owner doesn't know that Dmen can score too. Thank god he is not a owner of my team.
Your post is epitome of HfBoards inability to understand basic hockey concepts.

PEOPLE LISTEN TO ME: Defence does not mean defencemen! Forwards can defend too! The GM means that he does not draft players who are touted as great defensive minded players at age 18. And I kind of agree with that. In my opinion it is better to draft skill and offence than to draft defensively sound all around players. That part of the game can be developed later.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Just my 2 cents and their is always exceptions but best bet is to draft forwards in the top 10 but once you start getting to the 12-15 range defensemen generally have a better shot of being a star player than a forward

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Lots of people ragging on this guy, but I'm right there with him. For 50 years I've been watching the Canucks take slugs or merely average d-men in the first round and leave better players on the table. Herter, Wilson, Ference, Petit, Allen, Daignault, Juolevi..., on and on and on it goes.

The only exception I'd make would be for the total slam dunk 1st overall types like Dahlin.

Defencemen are incredibly hard to project and get right, much harder than forwards. In 1980, the Canucks got a better d-man in the 7th round than they did with their first round (Lidster vs Lanz).

You'll do better in the long run if you let someone else take those long shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad