Canes owner: "We won't draft defense in the 1st round as long as I'm here"

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
The statement is hyperbolic, and should come with a qualifier or two, but it's not a stupid sentiment, at all.

Since the 2005 lockout, there have been only 6* defensemen that won a Cup with the team that drafted them in the first round: That number doesn't expand significantly if you go back a decade before that.

Kronwall, Orpik, Seabrook, Doughty, Carlson, Maatta.

In contrast, the Caps alone had 6 forwards they drafted in the first round last season.

*Not counting Ryan Whitney, who didn't play in the Pens initial post-lockout Cup run.
Plus the canes d is set for the next decade anyways so unless there is another dahlin they have to draft they may as well get forwards

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The statement is hyperbolic, and should come with a qualifier or two, but it's not a stupid sentiment, at all.

Its a necessary condition to win a cup to have at least 1 impact, elite forward. You don't need a #1 all situations doughty/hedman that HF loses its collective left nut over. And most of those come from high draft picks.

Reactions: SvechNecas

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Heard about this. Given Carolina's defense group you would think they'd stick to drafting defense when possible. IMO you draft the BPA in the 1st round always.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Of course they do they pay everyone . But really if you were rich enough to buy a team / a fan of the game so it wasn't just an investment how hard would it be to not meddle with it.

I agree, it would be tough. If I was an owner, I would meddle with it. lol

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
People here acting like this idiot has any idea whether the Canes are set at D for the next decade or not.

Reactions: Rob

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I mean idk how serious this was or was not. But, if they have a chance to draft a D that is head and shoulders above the F's and G's, they should do BPA and flip him if need be for a more ready F of G.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Since the 2005 lockout, there have been only 6* defensemen that won a Cup with the team that drafted them in the first round: That number doesn't expand significantly if you go back a decade before that.

In contrast, the Caps alone had 6 forwards they drafted in the first round last season.

*Not counting Ryan Whitney, who didn't play in the Pens initial post-lockout Cup run.

An important point.

There’s a huge gap between saying “defensemen aren’t needed” vs “it’s often smarter to use a first round pick on a forward”

Reactions: Tryamw

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
An owner that loves the sound of his own voice, meddles in hockey operations, spends inconsistently if at all and made his money by screwing the unfortunate?

Eugene Melnyk cries a single fatherly tear...his boy is all grown up!

This is ridiculous. Not a single person here would not do the same. People come to you and say hey my credit sucks, either you give me money or I can't work and I'll lose everything.

So he gives them money and obviously there is a lot of risk. Sure MOST people will pay it off but there's a portion who won't and there is potential even repossessing the cars doesn't return the value lost.

I was waiting for some Nestle shit of giving women in Africa free formula for their babies so their breast milk dried up and then cutting them off so they were dependent on buying their product to keep their babies alive but all he did was give car loans to people.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

And how many of the Cup winners did so with important/significant assets acquired by trading a dman they drafted in the first round?

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
People here acting like this idiot has any idea whether the Canes are set at D for the next decade or not.

Its damn good proxy how to think... you know.

Say that and think it doesn't mean anything. Lol.

The damage is already done, and you can't fix it, Owner.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Lol, people really overreact to statements GMs make, especially when they twist it into their weird perception of what they mean, or act like anything they say is 100% unchangeable fact, with no context needed.

This statement is a bit hyperbolic and obviously it doesn't mean that they will pass on a clearly better player, but the sentiment makes sense to me. They are absolutely stacked at D and then some for the foreseeable future, and are in desperate need of impact forwards and a goalie, and fast. Honestly, forwards are the easiest to project and hit their peak the fastest, so forwards are objectively the best position to use 1st round picks on anyway.

This overreaction and twisting is almost as bad as the nonsense spouted about the Dubas comments regarding signing their players. Take a chill pill guys.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
''We'll never draft defense in the first round as long as I'm here. You can easily buy defense any time right?

I'm cool with losing as long as we score lots of goals because I don't want to be bored.

Oh, and can you expand the playoffs to 24 teams so we can get in? I want to have fun while losing but still make the playoffs at the same time. K thanks

Oh, and would you all mind wearing your road whites at home so we can wear our reds because I'm picky and shouldn't have to watch my team play in jerseys I don't like. K thanks''

This guy is a clown.

Last edited:

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
And how many of the Cup winners did so with important/significant assets acquired by trading a dman they drafted in the first round?

Probably way fewer than did the same with forwards.

Drafting a defenseman at 18 is like drafting a forward at 16. It makes way more sense to draft more of them in later rounds and to spend first rounders on players that are easier to project. Teams pretty much do that with goalies now, they almost never go before 20th OA since Carey Price other than the bombed Jack Campbell.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
What an embarrassing time to be a Canes fan. Seriously what is going on :laugh:

Between the celebration post game, the hating white jerseys to now not drafting D early for entertainment purposes... :facepalm:

PittsburghPens8771

Oct 1, 2017
Dude didn't know anything about the game of hockey just 2 years ago and now his GM and head scout won't be able to do their job because he has to personally approve the draft picks...based on "more entertaining position"?

mowd5omrw4421.jpg

2-1 hockey games don’t sell tickets to the masses. They want action. You understand that, right? Especially in the market their team is located

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad