Canes owner: "We won't draft defense in the 1st round as long as I'm here"

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He's ahead of the curve.

Forwards are simply more impactful than defensemen. They also have the bonus of being much more predictable in the draft. I expect defensemen to fall in the draft in the next decade as more analytical types ascend to decision making positions.
The analytical types that proclaim these same hurricanes should be great every year but aren’t?

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Hurricanes could simply abolish such antique position such as defenseman, and play only with 5 forwards per line.

What the heck! They could avoid all typical issues related to goalie's position all the same and start play perpetual 6-on-5 with full forward pack!

ERW (Extreme Right Winger) - RW - RC (Right Center) - LC (Left Center) - LW - ELW (Extreme Left Wing)

they could go for all kinds of nice delta-formations too, and use "libero" and striker positions, they could go with "smilie" formation :) with 2 forwards and 4 semi-forwards, as well as "dagger" (upside down cross formation), "six dice" (either vertical or horizontal)...

Owner would love it! Not much anyone else.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Someone have so much money, it simply doesn't mean anything anymore...

How I would love to see a day when HFB users would somehow manage pool that what 600+ million dollars and start their own expansion team, all managerial decisions made by simple majority in polls.

Such team wouldn't do worse than an average NHL team does currently. :sarcasm:

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Someone have so much money, it simply doesn't mean anything anymore...

How I would love to see a day when HFB users would somehow manage pool that what 600+ million dollars and start their own expansion team, all managerial decisions made by simple majority in polls.

Such team wouldn't do worse than an average NHL team does currently. :sarcasm:
If Hfboards ran teams there wouldnt be any trades since everyone overvalues their assets so much.

Reactions: 6 Karlsson 5

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
If Hfboards ran teams there wouldnt be any trades since everyone overvalues their assets so much.

Possibly. On the other hand entire HFB all fan pools combined having their collectively owned "own" team could cause that on average tendency to over and undervalue own assets wouldn't be anymore that high. Own HFB team would also force to look its management from more objective perspectives, particularly when all other teams would be there too. And I think even collective joke-decisions wouldn't prove to be that bad they might look on paper.

I wasn't too serious with this, and its off-topic. Though, I would be serious fan of our own team if there would be such one. Beautiful idea, that will never become the reality. :)

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Possibly. On the other hand entire HFB all fan pools combined having their collectively owned "own" team could cause that on average tendency to over and undervalue own assets wouldn't be anymore that high. Own HFB team would also force to look its management from more objective perspectives, particularly when all other teams would be there too. And I think even collective joke-decisions wouldn't prove to be that bad they might look on paper.

I wasn't too serious with this, and its off-topic. Though, I would be serious fan of our own team if there would be such one. Beautiful idea, that will never become the reality. :)
It would be awesome for sure. I know we would be better than a few GM's out there ;).

Reactions: Se829ne

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
He said something that just shouldn’t be said. Even if it’s true, even if it’s not, he just shouldn’t have said it. It was an unnecessary comment that gave leverage to Nylander.

He was asked a direct question, and had the balls to give a direct answer.

Let me know when he cant and he wont.

Reactions: zaqq

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
To be fair, that team has been good defensively and has been desperately lacking offense for quite some time.

I think the issue is that if you're owner of the NHL team, you no way come out with this kind categorical statement.

You would automaticly miss next orrs, lidströms, and dahlins and heiskanens... and... whatnot.

It simply doesn't make sense. If its high level hockey trolling, then I can see some perverse point in it, but from hockey as a game perspective it doesn't make sense, no matter what is exact situation in and needs of the team's roster.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think the issue is that if you're owner of the NHL team, you no way come out with this kind categorical statement.

You would automaticly miss next orrs, lidströms, and dahlins and heiskanens... and... whatnot.

It simply doesn't make sense. If its high level hockey trolling, then I can see some perverse point in it, but from hockey as a game perspective it doesn't make sense, no matter what is exact situation in and needs of the team's roster.
I agree with that sentiment. Shouldn't have said it.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
He does realize you need to have competent defense to transition the puck... right?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not only is this insane for the basic reason. But, he just hurt their ability to trade down when they have a highly hyped D on the board.

Reactions: Rob

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Carolina is in trouble when he gets bored with his toy. Melnyk south is coming.
I don't think it will be like Melnyk. Melnyk is having money trouble and says really dumb things. He reminds me more of the guy who bought the Sacramento Kings, who suggested to upper management they should have a cherry-picking strategy he implemented in his Daughters league and led them to a championship.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Not only is this insane for the basic reason. But, he just hurt their ability to trade down when they have a highly hyped D on the board.

Yep. League-wide broadband message to all current and future defensemen, their agents and competing front offices:

"We are the last team you should ever consider as we give a shit can we ever win. We do not value your efforts and skills anyway, so you do best for everyone if you say to your agent they don't even reply to our calls, like ever. This means also implicitly that we can't give a shit to our own system's defense-man production and up-coming defenseman, and as such they gonna be very low value commodities for years coming, so all parents of next generation hockey players should strictly forbid their children ever playing in such low value position as defenseman is in the Canes' hockey. As the owner I don't care either how this message impact to a future market value of my own franchise. It's irrelevant as I have so much money that I can voluntarily waste it with these kind antics. I do underestimate your intellects. Thank you."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad