Canes owner: "We won't draft defense in the 1st round as long as I'm here"

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Oh boy, someone break down some video for the guy and explain to him with one syllable words how the offence doesn't work so well if you don't have good defensmen to deliver that puck to the forwards,

These owners, man, they have the brains and work ethic to make billions of dollars, but some how, they don't have the will or the ability to comprehend how important good defensmen are in creating offence.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
It's clearly hyperbole. C'mon.

What do you expect from an owner watching a team that is struggling to score 2 goals a game dating back to mid-October? The people under him convinced him that trading Hanifin in a package for 2 defensemen and essentially redirecting money spent on a forward (Skinner) to sign a defensive defenseman (de Haan) was a good idea. Carolina has a pretty high recent 1st round pick in Bean sitting in Charlotte that they can't get NHL contributions from, barring injury, because of everyone ahead of him.

I would probably be frustrated, too.

Seems like all the more reason to draft a top D-man in the 1st round (if the pick makes hockey sense). The "having fun" comment is even sillier.

This guy is from Dallas. I am so happy he didn't buy the Stars.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
What a stupid comment

My team had a few "high" draft picks and picked all forwards...lol.

Now we're still looking for a #1 dman.

Who seen that coming? :sarcasm:

Didn't Katz tell the GM to draft Yakupov instead of the d-man they wanted to pick?

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Its easy for people to hate this- because your team didn't waste a first round pick on Ryan f***ing Murphy, and Hayden Fluery. Considering that and Slavin and Pesce were later round picks, certainly you must see his logic.

Reactions: SvechNecas

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Dude didn't know anything about the game of hockey just 2 years ago and now his GM and head scout won't be able to do their job because he has to personally approve the draft picks...based on "more entertaining position"?

mowd5omrw4421.jpg
This guy clearly has not watched players like Matt Dumba! Dumba is an absolute treat to watch!

Hard to find defensemen like that outside the first round...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Its easy for people to hate this- because your team didn't waste a first round pick on Ryan ****ing Murphy, and Hayden Fluery. Considering that and Slavin and Pesce were later round picks, certainly you must see his logic.
Meh, my team drafted Brent Burns, Nick Leddy, Matt Dumba and Jonas Brodin in the first round.

Looking back, I think only Tyler Cuma was a failed first round defender so far (too early to tell on Fillip Johansson), and that was only because of multiple severe knee injuries derailing him during development.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
In today's game you need good dmen too if you wanna score. This is such a moronic take but I think it's just hyperbole, if I'm a GM I rather get fired than be handcuffed by the owner like this.

Reactions: TaLoN

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Dude didn't know anything about the game of hockey just 2 years ago and now his GM and head scout won't be able to do their job because he has to personally approve the draft picks...based on "more entertaining position"?

mowd5omrw4421.jpg

This is so stupid but I see the intent. Sports are getting away from entertainment and everyone likes to talk about the “business”. It’s only a business if the fans are entertained and for some (not all) stifling defence is taking away from the creativity and fast pace of the game. That being said, winning seems to put butts in the seats and if a D is the BPA you are a moron not to take him and figure it out later.

Last edited by a moderator:

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

mowd5omrw4421.jpg
To be fair their defense is already amazing they don’t need more dmen

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
The canes have more defensemen than they have roster spots. I don't think he's giving away any secrets that they need high end forwards more than high end defense right now. And only 3 teams in the league have allowed fewer goals than the canes' "bottom five" defense, and that's with getting sub-.900 goaltending more often than not

Reactions: SvechNecas

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
Good thing you guys have some good Dmen.
This is going to make the scouts and managements jobs a whole lot harder.
Sorry Canes fans. We know what it's like to have a owner stick his fingers where they don't belong (Yakupov).

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Otherwise I have no real horses in this race than Aho and his sidekick Teuvo. Would not be pleasant if they would have to orientate more to defense only because owner acts like he does.

Aho was after all only guy whom roster spot was secure, and if team ignore and stop defend, then only defensive option is Aho... :sarcasm:

That would be dramatic misutilization of him, tho I'm sure he could handle with that responsibility too.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
If you are an owner and you want to build a winning team follow this checklist

1. Acknowledge the fact that you do not know as much about hockey as a good GM
2. Find a good GM.
3. Hire him

4. Offer him the resources he needs to run the team.
5. Get out of his way and let him run the team as he sees fit.

Obviously Tom Dundon is not following this list.

Numbers 2 and 3 are the tricky part.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
It's obviously hyperbole. If they had the 1st next year and Dahlin 2.0 was there and projected to go first, you can bet the farm Canes would pick him.

I get him and I think you guys overreact. They need a G and FWD's more than anything. Of course they'll draft a forward if it's him vs an equally good D prospect. Also D's develop slower usually and you can get amazing D-men outside of the 1 St round.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad