Canes owner: "We won't draft defense in the 1st round as long as I'm here"

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Someone should interview the owner and ask him how fun the game was tonight.

When your last name sounds like dumb-dumb makes it better.

Tonight's game was a lot more fun than losing and only scoring once.

The Canes have a lot of good, young defensemen, and of the ones they drafted, it was in the 2nd round. So not drafting defense in the 1st doesn't sound out of place, especially when they desperately need a lot of scoring help.

This quote is much ado about nothing

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He should probably fire Don Waddell if he has any interest in winning. Maybe he thinks the Canes are stacked on D so why waste another pick when the offense is atrocious? I don’t know why people are so offended.

Reactions: Stickpucker

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I really hope that taken out of context. Also, if that is your strategy why the hell would you let the whole world know.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Defencemen are always a wanted commodity. Esp at the TDL. Keep adding them, because there is always a desperate GM that will overpay for one.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I always knew Al Davis never actually died.

hxY3R84.png

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Pretty smart, defensemen take longer to develop and are harder to project. Forwards are a much better bargain.

They can just trade those forwards for defensemen later and draft all the Slavins, Pesces, Faulks, Webers, Suters, Josis, Ekholms, Subbans, Charas or Lidstroms they ever need in the other rounds.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Wasn’t this Rutherford’s policy in Carolina too?

If I recall correctly, Rutherford said something to the effect of there being more bang for you buck with drafting a forward with a high pick. Ie, he thought (blue chip) forwards were easier to project and they tended to make more immediate impacts whereas defenders might hit their strides a few years later at which point they burned through their ELCs. And that's an understandable stance if you're a team that's not spending to the cap every year. Carolina did pick a handful of defensemen with their top picks under Rutherford.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
If you are an owner and you want to build a winning team follow this checklist

1. Acknowledge the fact that you do not know as much about hockey as a good GM
2. Find a good GM.
3. Hire him
4. Offer him the resources he needs to run the team.
5. Get out of his way and let him run the team as he sees fit.

Obviously Tom Dundon is not following this list.
I say your list is spot on. Except make #2 team president, and let him hire the GM.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
well if that's their strategy to fascinate audience who can blame, NHL isn't anything but business and no every teams is meant to win cup anyways

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Tonight's game was a lot more fun than losing and only scoring once.

The Canes have a lot of good, young defensemen, and of the ones they drafted, it was in the 2nd round. So not drafting defense in the 1st doesn't sound out of place, especially when they desperately need a lot of scoring help.

This quote is much ado about nothing

It doesent change the fact that losing is never actually fun; and the quote will never be right.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
He's ahead of the curve.

Forwards are simply more impactful than defensemen. They also have the bonus of being much more predictable in the draft. I expect defensemen to fall in the draft in the next decade as more analytical types ascend to decision making positions.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
It doesent change the fact that losing is never actually fun; and the quote will never be right.

Fun and not fun are temporary states of mind, you can have fun for 60 minutes because your team is actually scoring and looks like they're in the game and can come back, then be miserable for 5 minutes after they lose before you get on with life and go get drunk and hit on your cousin or whatever. Or you can be miserable the whole time if they look like lifeless slugs on the ice.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
So if they had the top pick last year they would have picked Svech first overall because defence is boring? If he loves offence so much why did they trade Skinner for literal Pu?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

They lost tonight 6-4. The previous 3 losses were 4-1, 5-1, and 2-0. Tonight’s loss was much more entertaining than the other three.

He’s not wrong that it’s more fun to watch a loss with lots of goals than it is to watch a shutout (for example).

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
So if they had the top pick last year they would have picked Svech first overall because defence is boring? If he loves offence so much why did they trade Skinner for literal Pu?

They could've probably traded it for 2 Svechs and a goalie while still having their great top 4.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
It’s a bad take, but I totally get it.

We all watch hockey for entertainment, and quite frankly, the Canes are one of the least entertaining teams on the planet.

How many years have we said that they need to make a risky move and improve offence? I’ve been hearing it for at least 2. Svechnikov is a great start but you need 3-4 guys that quality to compete, and you need guys like Teuvo to be secondary scoring not counted on each night. There isn’t a lot of margin for error on that team.

We all get the same feel with Minnesota, or a time least did. They are just okay. Okay is fine once in a while but over a 5 year span it gets tiring. Okay is where up and coming teams sit and wait, and I don’t see enough in Carolina to call them that just yet. Maybe if Necas and Svechnikov hit their ceilings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad