Confirmed with Link: Canes officially match l'offre hostile from MTL for Aho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
These RFA contracts have gone through the roof and some of the kids are willing to make it challenging.
When you have your franchise kid offering you a steal from the start you don't mess with it, you just get it done(doesn't mean in a day), but the way which would never lead to this point.

That’s the odd part: Aho was offering a steal from his side (5 years, $9.5M) and then the offer sheet came back under that value.

That goes completely against what I was expecting. I understand they lost 6th-8th years at reasonable salary, but that’s assuming those years were ever an option.

From this offer sheet it’s clear Aho was playing hardball as much as Dundon, only Aho had a way to go around the process.

Reactions: Unsustainable

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Link goddamnit!

I'm not sure I like your attitude.

(but I still say, with all the best for Carolina moving forward this shouldn't have had to com to this).

I don’t like that Aho felt he had to result to an offer sheet to keep this from dragging out until after training camp. Glad to have him back.

The "shouldn't have come to this" and "resorting to an offer sheet" narratives are frankly, pi$$ing me off. The Canes did nothing that TOR, WPG, PHI, COL, and TBL are doing with their high-profile RFAs. It is not Carolina's fault that Marc Bergevin is an idiot. Carolina didn't ask for this, and they didn't "have it coming." They tried to deal with their superstar RFA the same way every other team dealt with theirs, but Montreal blew all that up by sticking their noses where it didn't belong.

Reports say that Point was the original MTL target. If he signs, the BriseBois is the one being told it shouldn't have come to this, and being accused of putting Point in position where he felt an offer sheet was necessary.

The *entire* Carolina narrative here is based on something *they didn't do*! Montreal did it.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

The only proper way to report on newsarticles in Finnish is to attach the google translated version to the post.

NHL legend, head coach Sebastian Aho, praises - "It trains the gym every day as the last one crazy" 2:40 MTV News Teuvo Teräväinen on Saturday at the Bermuda Tournament in Kalastajatorp, Helsinki. Ad PUBLISHED Jul 7, 2016 6:09 PM (Updated on 07/07/2014 19:51) In January, Carolina Hurricanes striker Teuvo Teräväinen signed a contract with the club for five years and a value of 24 million euros, which will make the Finnish Tiena about 4.8 million euros per season. There is time to enjoy golf and tennis during the summer training session before coming into force. Teräväinen says he has followed the contract situation that has spoken in recent days with teammate Sebastian Aho, but did not see the drama in the end. The duo talked on the phone when the situation was running. Ad - I think there was nothing revolutionary about it. However, it was clear that Sepe would continue. The treaty proceeded only slightly differently than usual, but ultimately, Teräväinen says to MTV Sports in Kalastajatorppa in Helsinki, where the traditional Bermuda tournament was played on Saturday.

The future of Hurricanes is bright according to Teravinen. - We had a good season and got a good boogie for the city. The hall was full of the rest of the year. It was cool to play there, hopefully going the same way. Rod Brind'Amour is the club's head coach in Hurricanes. According to the sharpman, the coach's mentality has not changed since the years of play. - It trains at the gym every day as the last one. He is a good example for our young players. Sufficiently proportionate and appropriate to make mistakes. The stubborn guy who speaks the thing when he opens the mouth and everyone listens, Teräväinen describes. Summer vacation plans with an attacker are simple. - You should try a bit of training to be able to play again next season. Golfing and staying with friends, that is, normal life, says Teräväinen.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

The "shouldn't have come to this" and "resorting to an offer sheet" narratives are frankly, pi$$ing me off. The Canes did nothing that TOR, WPG, PHI, COL, and TBL are doing with their high-profile RFAs. It is not Carolina's fault that Marc Bergevin is an idiot. Carolina didn't ask for this, and they didn't "have it coming." They tried to deal with their superstar RFA the same way every other team dealt with theirs, but Montreal blew all that up by sticking their noses where it didn't belong.

Reports say that Point was the original MTL target. If he signs, the BriseBois is the one being told it shouldn't have come to this, and being accused of putting Point in position where he felt an offer sheet was necessary.

The *entire* Carolina narrative here is based on something *they didn't do*! Montreal did it.
It blows my mind.

Toronto went to literally the last day possible before signing nylander, but somehow Dundon is cheap because Aho’s agent was smart enough to use Montreal to get what Aho wanted.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
It is going to suck but we have to remember that the reason he signed this contract is because he wants to play for Montreal in 5 years.

5 years might seem like it's going by in a flash, but it's actually a really long time.

In the span of 5 years, you can beat the Habs in the playoffs on your way to a Cup finals appearance, suck for three years, then beat the Habs again in the playoffs on your way to winning the Cup

true story

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Are you mad at the latest Sara C article then? She reported that this was the case. The offer sheet was a ploy to keep negotiations from going into the season. I only thought we were trenched in for the summer and maybe the start of camp. Sara is saying that we were so set on 7 or 8 years that Aho was generally concerned about another Nylander type situation.

Reactions: Unsustainable

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Are you mad at the latest Sara C article then? She reported that this was the case. The offer sheet was a ploy to keep negotiations from going into the season. I only thought we were trenched in for the summer and maybe the start of camp. Sara is saying that we were so set on 7 or 8 years that Aho was generally concerned about another Nylander type situation.

I get that it was the case. I said it was the case. Again, I understand why Aho did what he did. I'm not sure why you continue to miss my point. This is my own tweet from within hours after l'offre hostile hit:

The fact that Aho basically admitted all of this is irrelevant.

My point is that even if the path we were on would have lead to certain death and destruction and certain death and destruction *only*, it was the path *we* chose. And we have every right to choose it.

The offer sheet can only be used as a ploy to keep negotiations from going into the season *if another team offers it*. My problem is not with Aho, and it's not with Dundon/Waddell. It's with Montreal, which gave our player a way to work around our plans -- even if our plans sucked. If Aho was worried about a Nylander situation, didn't want it lasting through the summer, and *didn't get an offer sheet*, it's possible he'd have caved, and we'd have signed him to a non-bonus-laden, eight-year, $72 million deal by now.

All Montreal did was take away *our* right to negotiate with *our* player.

TOR, COL, TBL, WGP, PHI and others have chosen their path in negotiations with their high-profile RFAs, and to this point, they have been allowed by the rest of the league to stay on that path. It could very well be that at least one of them has chosen their path very poorly. But that is their right, and their choice.

Our path was chosen by Montreal. The fact that it ended up being an OK path doesn't change the fact that it is *not* the path we wanted, and it doesn't necessarily mean it was a *better* path. Like I said, our path could have ended up working out even better for us. But we'll never know.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I get that it was the case. I said it was the case. Again, I understand why Aho did what he did. I'm not sure why you continue to miss my point. This is my own tweet from within hours after l'offre hostile hit:

I bet you get this all the time, but did anyone every tell you that you look a lot like Dougie Hamilton?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

The fact that Aho basically admitted all of this is irrelevant.

My point is that even if the path we were on would have lead to certain death and destruction and certain death and destruction *only*, it was the path *we* chose. And we have every right to choose it.

The offer sheet can only be used as a ploy to keep negotiations from going into the season *if another team offers it*. My problem is not with Aho, and it's not with Dundon/Waddell. It's with Montreal, which gave our player a way to work around our plans -- even if our plans sucked. If Aho was worried about a Nylander situation, didn't want it lasting through the summer, and *didn't get an offer sheet*, it's possible he'd have caved, and we'd have signed him to a non-bonus-laden, eight-year, $72 million deal by now.

TOR, COL, TBL, WGP, PHI and others have chosen their path in negotiations with their high-profile RFAs, and to this point, they have been allowed by the rest of the league to stay on that path. It could very well be that at least one of them has chosen their path very poorly. But that is their right, and their choice.

Our path was chosen by Montreal. The fact that it ended up being an OK path doesn't change the fact that it is *not* the path we wanted, and it doesn't necessarily mean it was a *better* path. Like I said, our path could have ended up working out even better for us. But we'll never know.

And what we’ve learned from this is it may be the path Dundon & Waddell wanted but it wasn’t the path Aho wanted.

And in the future, the Borg needs to realize there are alternatives and potential consequences if they want to play hardball with an RFA over years or Salary.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Sara is saying that we were so set on 7 or 8 years that Aho was generally concerned about another Nylander type situation.

*THAT WAS OUR PLAN*

We wanted Aho to get more and more stressed out over the course of the summer about this turning into a Nylander-type situation that he was willing to go to six years, then seven, then eight. It's called negotiating. It's called leverage. And the fact that Aho was concerned enough to seek out an offer sheet probably means it could have worked, too.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
And what we’ve learned from this is it may be the path Dundon & Waddell wanted but it wasn’t the path Aho wanted.

And in the future, the Borg needs to realize there are alternatives and potential consequences if they want to play hardball with an RFA over years or Salary.

But in 99 percent of situations, there is no offer sheet. I'm not sure why we need to realize anything, other than Bergevin is an idiot.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

I agree. I also won't be surprised if we have to do this all over again with Svechnikov.

The narrative in the hockey media, even after all this, is that Dundon is a cheapskate. That's not going to change anytime soon, regardless of facts and evidence to the contrary. Why? Because it's easy, and lazy, and people lap it up because it affirms their dislike for southern markets.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
But in 99 percent of situations, there is no offer sheet. I'm not sure why we need to realize anything, other than Bergevin is an idiot.

I've pulled back on this conclusion a bit - why does this offer sheet prove that Bergevin is an idiot? There's plenty of other reasons, sure, but what downside was there for the Habs for trying this? Seems like a low risk high reward lotto ticket to me. Worst that could happen did happen - they got their cap space locked up over the course of a week that saw Marcus Johansson get signed.

Now, the fact that he put himself in the position to have this cap space and no one to give it to? Absolutely. And maybe you throw some of his moves pre-offer sheet into the same category, in which case sure. But he didn't jettison anyone for pennies on the dollar to do this. He's just caught now with his pants down with a little bit too much cap space, but you could argue he was going to be anyway. Doesn't mean the offer sheet wasn't the right thing for them to do.

Now, if you're saying they should've done it for $10.5m per year, and he's an idiot for going so low? I'm onboard. But based on his comments after the signing, I can see a situation where this wasn't in the plans at all and the agent approached him. Regardless of his perceived odds of this actually working, there's no reason for him not to at least throw something out there.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I agree. I also won't be surprised if we have to do this all over again with Svechnikov.

The narrative in the hockey media, even after all this, is that Dundon is a cheapskate. That's not going to change anytime soon, regardless of facts and evidence to the contrary. Why? Because it's easy, and lazy, and people lap it up because it affirms their dislike for southern markets.

And if it keeps getting us our guys on the cheap from overzealous opposing GMs, I'm all for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00