Confirmed with Link: Canes officially match l'offre hostile from MTL for Aho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Re: the comments from Aho’s agent in the other thread. Of course Aho would want to play in MTL. You don’t sign an offer sheet if you’re not willing to play there.

That doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to play in Carolina though. You don’t sign an offer sheet that can be matched if you aren’t willing to play there when it’s matched.

Canes tried playing hardball, but left a hanging curve ball that Aho’s agent hit out of the park.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
If we're placing blame, here's what I see:

1/3 of the blame to Dundon/Waddell: I get using your leverage. I get trying to keep costs low. But if you're going to be cutthroat about saving every dime, you have to expect others to use what leverage they have. They seem to have completely excluded the offre hostile from their risk assessment. It should not have gotten to this.

1/3 of the blame to Aho / Johansson: My gut reaction was that they were just using the tools available to them, and they didn't even work very hard to lock the Canes out, but screw that. This damages Aho's brand in Carolina, at least to some degree, and the potential downside there wasn't worth the risk. Yeah, Dundon is no fun to negotiate with, but it's clear there's no desire to play in Montreal, and Aho made people doubt him for very little upside.

1/3 of the blame to Molson / Bergevin: These guys had to know this wouldn't work. Either that, or they're just idiots. Trying to take advantage of a cash-poor team is just bad pool. They'd have a better chance of getting Brayden Point with this offer, due to Tampa Bay's cap situation. They did this just to humiliate Carolina and stick it to Dundon. f*** them.

But at the end of the day, Dundon has no choice but to match. Even if you take the potential hard feelings, shock, and everything else out of it, losing Aho really is a death-blow to the franchise. He *will* lose fans. He *will* lose the confidence of those who stay. There is literally no point in owning the club if you don't match this offer for Sebastian Aho.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah, and the 100% wants to play there doesn't mean that's his only option or preference. It just means it's a place he'd happily play, thats why he signed there.

If that was truly the only place he wanted to play, an offer sheet would have been a really dumb way to go about it.

Most players are willing to play in plenty of NHL cities under the right circumstances. It doesn't mean much good or bad about how he feels about Carolina.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I'm really interested now to see what happens with the other RFAs. There's a pattern developing here. Larkin signed for 5 years. The Leafs got Nylander for 6, but that negotiation was painful. Matthews went for 5. Meier opted for 4, but is basically guaranteed 8 figures in year 5 on the basis of his QO. Aho was insistent on 5, obviously.

Is anyone going to take a discount this offseason or have we seen the end of the max-term, or close to it, cost-controlled 2nd contract? If it's the latter, it's going to disrupt many roster builds. Be grateful that Francis was able to squeak in a few (Slavin, Pesce) before the landscape potentially changed.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
1/3 of the blame to Molson / Bergevin: These guys had to know this wouldn't work. Either that, or they're just idiots. Trying to take advantage of a cash-poor team is just bad pool. They'd have a better chance of getting Brayden Point with this offer, due to Tampa Bay's cap situation. They did this just to humiliate Carolina and stick it to Dundon. **** them.
This is the part that gets me the most.

We are going to match this, we have to match this. We literally have no choice but to match because the return for not matching is an insult to the quality of the player Aho is.

This move was a f*** you cannon shot at not just the Canes but all small market teams in the league. The Habs are f***ing with our financials because they can, in hopes they make us so unstable they might be able to poach another player down the line, because there is no way they thought this could actually work. Its a 'you don't belong in this league' message to the staff and fans in Raleigh, and that really just pisses me off.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
On the Aho OS, i'm about 90% sure the team matches. However, I wish they would just do it already. I'm already sick of listening to Habs fans spew their talk about how poor this franchise is and how it will cripple us if we match, blah blah blah.

On the other hand, I don't like his agent spewing his talk either about Aho wanting to play there. Only b/c I think that gives Dundon fire to NOT match. His agent already put it out there that Aho wants to play in Montreal. Which of course he would have to if he signed it. But I can see Dundon now "we decided not to match as Aho really wants to play in Montreal, so we are accepting the picks in return".

I mean he's got to know that not matching will lose him the fanbase which will hurt more than that $21M he's got to pay in 12 months. Just match already, so we can all move on.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I don’t know why you’d say “bad pool” to Bergevin for trying to take advantage of a supposed cash-poor team. He’s worried about his team, full stop. I don’t blame him for it, nor do I blame Aho for taking his contract negotiations to the next level.

I will never again look at a player in a negative light after what happened to De Haan. And not to say he was done dirty or anything, but imagine your fiancée and yourself setting down roots, having that nice playoff run, hey I found my new home, this is really ni......oh, I’m living in Chicago now?

It’s all a business and what Bergevin did was business. The offer sheet is completely useless if that bonus structure isn’t included.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
He's a 21 year old kid from Finland. He's got the world at his feet. He's not married, he doesn't have inextricable ties to the area or anywhere else in North America AFAIK. He can pick up and move across the country on a whim and it's not like he's going to have to move his own furniture or worry about finding his own apartment.

Now, 5 years from now, he meets a nice rich girl from Cary, or a tarted-up hood rat from Battery Heights, because love don't know no boundaries, and maybe that changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad