Speculation: Canes need Top 6 Forward

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Faulk has increased his value this year. Other than Aho, Staal, Svechnikov, Wallmark, Slavin, Pesce, DeHaan, Ferland (if they believe he will re-sign in CAR) and perhaps McGinn and Foegle, everyone else should be trade available, but what would they bring? I can't for the life of me figure out why DiGueseppe is still around, any of the younger guys are as good or better, unless it's a contract thing related to expansion. Svech caught the Hurricanes bug, leading all NHL rookies in shots, but not much to show. Williams is a great captain but he's not been very good. Tuevo seems to have fallen back a bit, so he wont fetch much. Hamilton is just okay, but seems to be improving a tad lately. TVR, Fleury, not much value there for what they need.

Seems like they're stuck with very little actual leverage in trying to get what they need, and yet they are in the playoffs as of today, so this rag tag bunch of 2/3 liners is hanging in there. But it's tenuous at best without more offensive punch and a goalie.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Ithink the GM borg thought they'd be able to deal Faulk to bring in a Skinner replacement, and weren't able to for whatever reason. I think Faulk has looked fine defensively this year even if it would be nice to see him putting up more points. I'd be cool with seeing him go, not because I think he's bad but I think it would be more helpful to get a scorer up front than keep the logjam at RD

They traded Skinner in August. They would have been aware of the market for Faulk at that point. A hockey trade for a defenseman with that type of term coming off a disappointing season, given the mix of teams potentially interested, was not going to present itself, even after the Karlsson situation cleared up. He still probably returns non-elite futures now, if dealt.

They just wanted Skinner off the team. At best, it was the arrogance in thinking that he wasn't needed. At worst, it was a lack of a financial commitment by ownership. Either way, it was a mistake.

Last edited:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
How about this for Carter. 1st round pick in 2019 if the Canes miss the playoffs this year/2018 pick if they do make the playoffs and a semi decent prospect? That's kinda like what the Kings offered for Sekera a couple years ago. Or is the 1st round pick just a no go?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
A 1st in the early to mid-teens for a potential mid-term solution wouldn't be terrible.

It depends on where they're at and how Carter is performing deadline time.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
How about this for Carter. 1st round pick in 2019 if the Canes miss the playoffs this year/2018 pick if they do make the playoffs and a semi decent prospect? That's kinda like what the Kings offered for Sekera a couple years ago. Or is the 1st round pick just a no go?

I think DW views 1st trades as a no go entirely. He seemed to suggest during the Nylander affair that our 1st wasn't on the table for trade or OS.

I don't agree.

Pretty sure the Canes preference would be to only trade from depth and specs though.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I'm not sure what Waddell's plan is. He trades two top line wingers this offseason on a team that already struggles to score and now is looking for forwards for scoring help?

Waddell's "plan" was to urinate straight into the B-Hole of a loyal fanbase that had been humiliated for year after year clinging to a flailing organization hoping that it could right the ship and slip out of a quagmire of permanent mediocrity.

His plan seems to have worked.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Would the Canes be interested in J.T. Miller? Tampa may need to trade him anyway to make some numbers work and Carolina is deep at rhd while weaker at F. Tampa could use some help on the right side both now depending on Stralman's continued absence but also in the years to come. Would Pesce be available if Tampa adds here, or is Faulk the top candidate up for trade? Thanks for any constructive feedback!

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Um.....wait...... what?

Reactions: Mitch nylander

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Nyquist (UFA, 29, 27pts./30gp +5, 6 PPP, 21 EV strength pts. on a lottery team, good mobility, vision, IQ, can play lines 1-3, $4.75 caphit)...considering our 1st 10 games we had 5 rookie D in the lineup that's pretty damn impressive.

for

Faulk (only if he has any mobility left, which is a huge ? mark right now)

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Nyquist (UFA, 29, 27pts./30gp +5, 6 PPP, 21 EV strength pts. on a lottery team, good mobility, vision, IQ, can play lines 1-3, $4.75 caphit)...considering our 1st 10 games we had 5 rookie D in the lineup that's pretty damn impressive.

for

Not a bad trade IMO.

Obviously Detroit would need to add quite a bit (a 2nd or a decent prospect) given players age/contract status, but if Carolina want to inject a bit of offense on their left side right away in their line-up and remove Martinook (wtf) from the first line, who knows.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

for

His mobility is back. It's noticeable. He's turned back the clock on his defensive game by 5 years because of it. Unfortunately, he's off to a miserable start offensively. Maybe he's incapable of being an impact player on both sides of the puck at the same time?

I don't think Waddell does it. Trading Faulk severely limits the organization's ability to make a hockey trade involving Pesce or Hamilton, if one presents itself. I also don't think Carolina can afford to give up contract term in a trade again.

Reactions: SvechNecas

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Call up Kuokkanen, play him on 2nd line. See if that helps.

I'm surprised that he hasn't been rewarded for his strong start yet. I get that they likely don't want to overload the forward group with rookies as they try to win with defensive hockey, but the offense has been so putrid that it's neutralizing the impact of one of the best defenses in hockey (Top 5 in GA/G atm). I hope it's not a case of Brind'Amour prioritizing grit over skill. That wouldn't bode well for the future.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Not a bad trade IMO.

Obviously Detroit would need to add quite a bit (a 2nd or a decent prospect) given players age/contract status, but if Carolina want to inject a bit of offense on their left side right away in their line-up and remove Martinook (wtf) from the first line, who knows.
Nyquist is playing the best hockey of his career, save for the 1st 1.5 yrs or so, but not because of the impending UFA status, though I'm sure that's a part of it. The NHL suits his game & we finally have a fast team...he'd be even better on a team with a legitimate Top4 D, like Carolina, or in Canes case, Top6 D. He's can play either LW/RW as well. Ideally we trade him for a late 1st, then resign him to $4.9X3yrs, but he'll likely get $5-5.5M & 4-6 yrs somewhere. A late 2nd is a maybe as the equalizer, each team has gotta see how Faulk performs & vice versa for Nyquist.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
His mobility is back. It's noticeable. He's turned back the clock on his defensive game by 5 years because of it. Unfortunately, he's off to a miserable start offensively. Maybe he's incapable of being an impact player on both sides of the puck at the same time?

I don't think Waddell does it. Trading Faulk severely limits the organization's ability to make a hockey trade involving Pesce or Hamilton, if one presents itself. I also don't think Carolina can afford to give up contract term in a trade again.

Ok, we'll take Pesce or Hamilton instead & we'll throw in a pick(s) & prospect not named Zadina/Hronek/Veleno...Cholowski & Rasmussen are no longer prospects. Canes should hang on to both Pesce & Hamilton though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad