Speculation: Canes need Top 6 Forward

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Take a note from the Jets. It took a while to get there but the depth they got and the quality of players they got from just drafting and being patient paid off. The defense is strong and young. The forwards have some good pieces but are young and need to develop. The prospect cupboard is overflowing.

Add another top 10 draft pick and a goalie and they are a playoff team. Hell just get them a goalie that can play 60 games at a decent level. If McStarter was 10 years younger the team would be fine but he can't play at a high level for an entire season.

We just fired our GM who wanted to draft and develop and traded away two recent top 5 picks and a 25 year old 30+ goal scorer for older players and prospects.

For better or worse I think we are no longer on the draft and develop path.

Trading a RD for a top 6 goalscoer and Necas / Svechnikov being a couple years older would be nice.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Take a note from the Jets. It took a while to get there but the depth they got and the quality of players they got from just drafting and being patient paid off. The defense is strong and young. The forwards have some good pieces but are young and need to develop. The prospect cupboard is overflowing.

Add another top 10 draft pick and a goalie and they are a playoff team. Hell just get them a goalie that can play 60 games at a decent level. If McStarter was 10 years younger the team would be fine but he can't play at a high level for an entire season.

On the other hand, take a note from the Flyers that young talent and patience won't always get you there. Every year that the Canes sit on their hands is another year of Slavin's prime, Aho's ELC, and Staal's career wasted. That doesn't mean that they should go out and lose a trade, but waiting comes with its own set of costs.

A goalie is definitely the Canes' #1 need, but a top6 winger and a goalie shouldn't gut the prospect pool to acquire. To me, the Canes are close enough to being competitive that making a trade to try and take the next step is a logical course of action.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
I'm not sure what Waddell's plan is. He trades two top line wingers this offseason on a team that already struggles to score and now is looking for forwards for scoring help?

Last edited:
Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Dustin Brown-Leader
Jeff Carter- 2 way player
Tyler Toffoli- Sniper
Are all available and have reasonable caphits... what’s the offer and what are you looking for...

We need a pure goal scorer the roster is overloaded with playmakers and so far Svechnikov seems a much better passer than expected. I have no clue how LA values Toffoli but would love him in a Canes uniform.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Forget about the forwards... Carolina needs a damn goalie. McElhinney was saving the day, but he is not the solution.

Its been like that for a while now, I really don't know why they don't address it seriously. The way they struck out on Grubauer is unacceptable... I don't accept the premise that Washington did not want to trade in-division. They should just have really outbid Colorado and made it happen. Giving a pick just a few spot higher was rightfully not enough for Washington to give them Grubauer.

They better send everything at Bobrovsky in the offseason...

Would rather trade for Quick who is making a lot less if LA is willing to move him. Goalie values are hard to nail down though.

Reactions: SvechNecas

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I'm not sure what Waddell's plan is. He trades to top line wingers this offseason on a team that already struggles to score and now is looking for forwards for scoring help?

I think the organization expected: (1) Svechnikov to follow the paths of some recent Top 2 picks and be great as a rookie, and Necas to be a Top 9 forward (2) Staal and Williams to provide secondary scoring (3) Hamilton and Faulk to make an impact offensively from the blueline. With some improvement from the Finns (Aho and by extension, Teravainen) and a strong defense, I guess they thought they would be able to get by with trading Skinner, for the purpose of asset preservation or more insidious, budgetary constraints.

Svechnikov has only been solid as an 18 year old. Necas needed some development time in the AHL. Staal looks like he some explosiveness and it’s hurting his game. Williams is at the end of the line and it shows. Two of the best goal scoring defensemen in hockey have combined for 4 goals through 27 games.

Even with Aho taking a step and the defense performing up to expectation, the end result is an offense so thin that if Aho or Svechnikov isn’t going on any particular night, even 1 goal will be a struggle. The FO gambled and they lost. I won’t defend them here. Trading Skinner was unnecessarily risky. The trade assets returned were such that the organization could have afforded to let him play out the season and walk as a UFA.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Is Lee actually available? I'd be surprised if he doesn't resign.

Right now I dont think Lee is available, but if he isnt signed by the deadline I would expect him to be moved.

Right now i think Nelson and Eberle are available. Filpulla would be available if he is willing to waive his ntc.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Honest ?, does Faulk have any mobility left, or is he quickly turning into an anchor?
Don't see him enuf to know, and it is huge factor on value.

Yes. He looks like he trimmed down a bit this summer and looks more mobile. His defensive game has had a resurgence, how much of that is attributable to his offseason work vs. being paired with a solid vet and not having to babysit a newbie us up for debate. Unfortunately, that added mobility hasn't translated offensively, which is what a lot of us thought was hindering his offense last year.

We're 1 point out of 3rd place in the metro with some key injuries (Ferland and Staal have concussions, Pesce just recovered from his injury and Rask missed the first quarter) I wouldn't say this is a lost season just yet.

Stat watching. This team is shit, through and through.

Its been like that for a while now, I really don't know why they don't address it seriously. The way they struck out on Grubauer is unacceptable... I don't accept the premise that Washington did not want to trade in-division. They should just have really outbid Colorado and made it happen. Giving a pick just a few spot higher was rightfully not enough for Washington to give them Grubauer.

You don't accept the premise that it was widely reported, essentially as a matter of fact, that they offered more than Colorado (not much, something like a higher pick), but Washington preferred to send him West?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
You don't accept the premise that it was widely reported, essentially as a matter of fact, that they offered more than Colorado (not much, something like a higher pick), but Washington preferred to send him West?

No, I don't. Like I wrote, they should just have offered more than what they did and made it happen. They cheaped out and now Grubauer is in Colorado.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
On the other hand, take a note from the Flyers that young talent and patience won't always get you there. Every year that the Canes sit on their hands is another year of Slavin's prime, Aho's ELC, and Staal's career wasted. That doesn't mean that they should go out and lose a trade, but waiting comes with its own set of costs.

A goalie is definitely the Canes' #1 need, but a top6 winger and a goalie shouldn't gut the prospect pool to acquire. To me, the Canes are close enough to being competitive that making a trade to try and take the next step is a logical course of action.

Never hurt the Jets who have several of their most important players over 30 in Wheeler, Little, Buff, etc.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
There will be 15 high end forwards in UFA they can go out and sign so either that or see what they could get with one of their 500 defensemen

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Never hurt the Jets who have several of their most important players over 30 in Wheeler, Little, Buff, etc.

Part of the difference with the Jets they started out in 2011 with only a handful decent/good or core pieces (at the time no super stars either) and a completely empty prospects pool. They literally had nothing to trade for prospects......they had to sit on their hands for a number of years as they actually gained good/decent prospects.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Likely at some point in the next seven months, the Leafs are going to either trade Nylander, or Kapanen... Nylander would be a July 2nd deal... Kapanen, could be any time.

Then we can go in endless circles about values, needs, and so on...

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

Did it help them? The Jets missed the playoffs by 7 points in 2016-2017. Their 13th OA pick ended up in Vegas as part of the expansion draft and the 24th overall pick Vesalainen looks like a good player, but the team is a legit contender without him. If the Jets had traded for a goalie that year, they possibly could have made the playoffs and had a year of playoff experience under their belts. Considering that they signed Steve Mason that summer and started him the first few games, they weren't just being patient on Hellebuyck. Sometimes patience is the right call and other times it's not. While the Jets are thriving, the Flyers have taken that step backwards and Giroux is another year older. Things will probably work out eventually, but any window that they will have is shorter as a result of too much patience.

Reactions: Oseductive

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I think the organization expected: (1) Svechnikov to follow the paths of some recent Top 2 picks and be great as a rookie, and Necas to be a Top 9 forward (2) Staal and Williams to provide secondary scoring (3) Hamilton and Faulk to make an impact offensively from the blueline. With some improvement from the Finns (Aho and by extension, Teravainen) and a strong defense, I guess they thought they would be able to get by with trading Skinner, for the purpose of asset preservation or more insidious, budgetary constraints.

Svechnikov has only been solid as an 18 year old. Necas needed some development time in the AHL. Staal looks like he some explosiveness and it’s hurting his game. Williams is at the end of the line and it shows. Two of the best goal scoring defensemen in hockey have combined for 4 goals through 27 games.

Even with Aho taking a step and the defense performing up to expectation, the end result is an offense so thin that if Aho or Svechnikov isn’t going on any particular night, even 1 goal will be a struggle. The FO gambled and they lost. I won’t defend them here. Trading Skinner was unnecessarily risky. The trade assets returned were such that the organization could have afforded to let him play out the season and walk as a UFA.

Ithink the GM borg thought they'd be able to deal Faulk to bring in a Skinner replacement, and weren't able to for whatever reason. I think Faulk has looked fine defensively this year even if it would be nice to see him putting up more points. I'd be cool with seeing him go, not because I think he's bad but I think it would be more helpful to get a scorer up front than keep the logjam at RD

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
I felt like they were a team on the rise and with a few savvy acquisitions could be a definite playoff team this year but was definitely confused with their offseason. Letting Skinner walk for cents on the dollar then adding Lindholm to Hanifin to get Hamilton. Making an already deep and talented D core even better when the forward depth is pathetic and their goaltending situation is depressing. Certainly seems like Jack Hughes is the goal for this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad