Confirmed with Link: Canes get Niederreiter for Rask!?!?

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
One thing I feel compelled to note about Nino in the playoffs- he may have only had 4 points, but 3 of them were game winners. One might claim he was super clutch, especially the two games in Brooklyn. He set up the game winner against the capitals in game 4 as well, all close games we maybe dont win without him

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
One thing I feel compelled to note about Nino in the playoffs- he may have only had 4 points, but 3 of them were game winners. One might claim he was super clutch, especially the two games in Brooklyn. He set up the game winner against the capitals in game 4 as well, all close games we maybe dont win without him
Nino scoring against NJ making it 3 to 1 to clinch our playoff birth was my favorite last year.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Now this is just not true at all. You don't score 20 goals/45 points in the NHL these days without having some kind of decent talent. Could we put Martinook or Foegele in the top 6 and expect an automatic 45 points? of course not. Hell we barely got that out of Lindholm at the same time Rask was around and look what Lindy is doing right now.

Rask never logged more than 2nd line minutes and his power play points were roughly 30% of his even strength points which is pretty much the norm. To say he "always sucked" is the same as saying Eric Staal "always sucked." It's completely revisionst and totally false.

Nobody's saying he was ever a superstar either obviously. But he had something and now that something is gone, whatever it was.
foegele? no. he has the worst case of tunnel vission i've ever seen and miserable puck handling. he'll probably top out at 10 assists for his career.

martinook, though? i could see it. he had 25 points without any powerplay time last year with his best linemate being svechnikov for like a third of the season or so (could be wrong). if you were to have played him with skinner, and on the top powerplay unit for most of the season, i could see him hitting 45.

rask's ice time is irrelevant when you look at his linemates. because skinner had zero chemistry with the staals and couldn't be trusted to play against tough competition, he wound up playing with rask a ton. rask got a bunch of cheap points just by being on the ice with him. say what you want about skinner's overall play but he is insanely good at scoring even strength goals. if you were put martinook with skinner for a full season and played him on the top powerplay unit, you really think that 45 points would be out of reach? i don't.

obviously you have to have some talent to score 45 points regardless of the situation. but rask was placed in an incredibly beneficial situation here. imagine if skinner could have played in the top six, and rask wound up with gerbe or nestrasil or nordstrom on his line instead? or if the hurricanes had a powerplay qbing defenseman so that rask didn't wind up there getting cheap assists for making ten foot passes to faulk. how much money do you think he's making now? at his prime he probably would have been a 25-30 point player on a properly constructed team.

rask being an absolutely miserable skater is nothing new. it hasn't gotten worse. i don't think he got a big contract and then quit. i think he got a big contract and the team around him improved shortly thereafter and forced him into a lesser role, and then traded him to a team where he's in an even worse situation as far as picking up cheap points go.

rask would be a great pick up for seattle i think. he could put up 40-45 meaningless points and maybe con another team into giving him a new big contract.

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

Nino scoring against NJ making it 3 to 1 to clinch our playoff birth was my favorite last year.

This is the one of those cases where the and may slightly outweigh the good, but the good came with significance that changed the course of the season.

And yes, that NJ goal is my favorite from him last season. That goal officially killed the drought.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
"I cut my hand making guacamole" sounds like the excuse a teenage boy gives his parents when he really cut his hand sneaking out his bedroom window in the middle of the night to go bang his geometry teacher
Damn I would’ve jumped out of a window to do that to my History teacher. The whole librarian look really did it for me.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I'm not watching all of this. Can you give me the synopsis? Is Rask good now or something?

He grew his hair out but other than that I don’t think much has changed.

upload_2021-12-8_11-2-56.png

Reactions: DaveG and LakeLivin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad