Confirmed with Link: Canes Claim Nestrasil

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
So is Nestrasil looking like a real player that will stick? What do you guys see as his strengths and weaknesses? Does he make the roster next year or is it too early to tell?

Thanks in advance.

bluedevil58*

If utilized right he will be a 40 point a season 3rd line / hybrid fill in any role forward.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I have been impressed with Nestrasil. I think eventually he'll be paired with Rask, as they play a similar style. 40 points is ambitious in my opinion. I think a more reasonable expectation would be 30 points and a strong two-way game. I don't know if enough people give credit to how hard it is to score 40 points in the league now. Nestrasil makes the smart play almost all the time and that will endear him to coaches, but he's not a guy who blows you away in the skill department. Likely why it has taken him a bit of time to advance to the NHL level and why Detroit didn't see fit to try to make a role for him.

I think Carolina was getting hot right when he came on board and he has taken that momentum and run with it. I'm not discounting his production as being a sole product of the team running hot, but it's not hurting him. I'm curious as to how his numbers would look if he had been here the whole time.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I think he is very underrated actually.

I think 40 points is very likely, and 50 is not impossible.

He has very good size and skates well for his size. He also protects the puck very well. All of that allows him to keep the puck until he finds the open man.

Although he will never be a pure goal-scorer, I like that he is able to drive to the net and actually get there. He is going to score those dirty goals around the net and he will get better at it.

I think he is going to become a 20 goal, 30 assist player, or 15 goal, 35 assists. He reminds me of Carl Soderberg on Boston. Nestrasil just needs to learn to play with the same swagger and he needs more experience obviously.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
That is incredibly optimistic. I'd agree with Vagrant's assessment. He sees the ice very well and is pretty strong on the puck, but 30 pts would be my guess at his ceiling.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It reminds me a bit of when Loktionov came here last year and for lack of better options, produced at a 40 point clip. Nestrasil is night and day better defensively, but the team running in a positive direction may have had something to do with that production. I wouldn't get too high on it. Just like Riley Nash's hot start. Sometimes guys just catch a wave of confidence.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think the 30-40 range is an appropriate thing to hope for. He has enough skill for that, he plays the big man game well. Little gangly and awkward at times.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
It's just so hard to guess what 'balanced' NHL'rs are going to produce. Bowman, Nash, Nestrasil, Ruutu, J. Williams. They all have kind of a similar set of physical abilities/skills. Nothing stands out, nothing that weak.

I wasn't high on Nestrasil, but he's been chugging along for a while now. Although if he's a 40-50 point player, he won't be on our 3rd line.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
30pts certainly seems reasonable to expect of him next year. I like him with J Staal especially. I suppose one thing he has on Loktionov is size and thr Detroit pedigree...

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
It's just so hard to guess what 'balanced' NHL'rs are going to produce. Bowman, Nash, Nestrasil, Ruutu, J. Williams. They all have kind of a similar set of physical abilities/skills. Nothing stands out, nothing that weak.

I wasn't high on Nestrasil, but he's been chugging along for a while now. Although if he's a 40-50 point player, he won't be on our 3rd line.

I mentioned this once before and somebody took me to task. It's OK. Keep on hatin'.

I think it's great that wallym mentioned Justin Williams, because I talked to Justin about just this situation for a story I wrote in 2004. I asked him *how* he took the step from prospect to NHL top-6 regular. He said it was all about confidence. Kevyn Adams heard him and agreed so strongly that he essentially forced his way into the story. The three of us talked for an hour.

The gist is that according to these guys, players have to make the conscious decision not to be a fringe guy, or a prospect any longer. They have to believe they belong in the league and can put up points, and take that attitude to the ice with them every shift. If you think of yourself as a prospect, you'll remain a prospect.

At some point, the guys who are eventually successful have to ask themselves, "do I want to be a prospect forever, or do I want to play in this league?" And that really goes for everyone. Alexandre Daigle and Patrik Stefan weren't busts because they didn't have skill and talent. They were busts because they accepted being fringe guys.

Confidence comes first. Then success. Not the other way around.

I know you guys will disagree, but I've talked to over 100 NHLers in my career and every one of them will back me up on this.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
ehs a good player imo

has considerably less tunnel vision than most of our forwards, which is kind of sad

if i were gm ronfranciso i'd start trading players like skinner, gerbe, etc who can't do anything with the puck except shoot it from a bad angle at 30 ft or skate themselves into a corner. when u have those guys along with the stalls it's hard to generate anything. thankfully this team didn't sink a bunch of money into another limited player in tlusty.

get more hockey players like linholm

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2