Confirmed with Link: Canes Claim Nestrasil

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
It's really quite humbling to think that this guy was waived by Detroit. What must it be like to have *that* much NHL-ready talent? What must it be like to have your two best players miss half a season, work in a bunch of rookies like Gustav Nyquist, Tomas Tatar, Riley Sheahan, Danny DeKeyser and Tomas Jurco, and *still* make the playoffs? We've always known that our prospect development "system" was broken, but watching this guy play has shown just complete that breakdown must be. I'm really glad that Riley Nash, Victor Rask and a few others are playing well from our system, but to be able to reload on the fly consistently is something to behold.

The single greatest thing that may come from this waiver claim -- no matter how well Nestrasil plays -- is that our organization may have been given a wakeup call that motivates them to overhaul our development system.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
you sound terrifyingly optimistic

That might be the first time that's ever been said about me, but it's true. I am. I always have been. That's what makes it so hard to take when they make mistakes that cost us a) games in the short term, and b) seasons in the long term. I'm forever optimistic. But at some point, somebody over there has to use their brain.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
With the emergence this year of Rask, Boychuk, and Nash..and the Bellemore last year, and maybe even Jordan (too early to tell), maybe our development system (recently) isn't as bad as we all think? I'm by NO MEANS excusing years of incompetence and not comparing it to Detroit at all, but to me, a lot of it had to do with JR.

1) Poor scouting / poor picks beyond the 1st round.
2) Due to the make-up of the team, anyone with any ability get's rushed right to the NHL with no time for development.
3) Gives up on guys / throws them in deals like they are chiclets (Alt, Dumoulin, etc..)

Francis and team say they are committed to drafting and developing. Even if Francis turns out to be JR junior in every other aspect, if he truly is a man of his word in this area and gives it a high priority, I'll be happy.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Detroit didn't just waive Nestrasil because they just have too many top notch guys and couldn't fit him in.

He had 2 points in 13 games as a 23 year old. He only had 36 points in the AHL last year as a 22yo. He was in the ECHL the year before that at 21.

It looks to me like he has the same problem that all Canes prospects have. He can't create offense above a generic AHL callup level. He'll grind it along the boards a bit, which is fine. And from time to time, his shot will get deflected in, or he'll make a blind pass to Skinner who puts an insane tip on it. But there are 600 players in the NHL who can center a puck, or throw a puck at the net and get a good bounce.

He won't replace Dwyer, because Dwyer is better. With Pat, not even accounting for defense, he's at least fast enough to get some odd man chances.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
He won't replace Dwyer, because Dwyer is better. With Pat, not even accounting for defense, he's at least fast enough to get some odd man chances.

I wouldn't look at Nestrasil as a Dwyer replacement, so I'm not sure why you went with that comparison. Dwyer can't enter the O zone without dumping the puck. Nestrasil takes the line better than almost anyone we've got at this point (not that that is saying much).

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
stop trolling

541364_10151858215930709_1893103903_n.jpg

bluedevil58*

Let's go ahead and discuss why Nasty is like a young Jeff Skinner. I see huge similarities between the 2 players. Would anyone else care to discuss?

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Detroit didn't just waive Nestrasil because they just have too many top notch guys and couldn't fit him in.

He had 2 points in 13 games as a 23 year old. He only had 36 points in the AHL last year as a 22yo. He was in the ECHL the year before that at 21.

It looks to me like he has the same problem that all Canes prospects have. He can't create offense above a generic AHL callup level. He'll grind it along the boards a bit, which is fine. And from time to time, his shot will get deflected in, or he'll make a blind pass to Skinner who puts an insane tip on it. But there are 600 players in the NHL who can center a puck, or throw a puck at the net and get a good bounce.

You know Dwyer was in the ECHL when he was 22 right? And didn't make his NHL debut until he was 26? If anything he's ahead of Dwyer's development cycle by a country mile. That's not to say he replaces what Dwyer brings exactly, it's that it solidifies one of the bottom 6 RW positions.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
You know Dwyer was in the ECHL when he was 22 right? And didn't make his NHL debut until he was 26? If anything he's ahead of Dwyer's development cycle by a country mile. That's not to say he replaces what Dwyer brings exactly, it's that it solidifies one of the bottom 6 RW positions.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I don't see Dwyer ever being in the ECHL. He put up 40ish points a year in the AHL just like Nestrasil.

The difference is that Dwyer has high level NHL PK and defensive skills. Nestrasil's big attribute is looking like someone who could be good at hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00