Confirmed with Link: Canes Claim Nestrasil

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Meh...I still think it's not worth making a stink about. It's barely above league minumum. That's a drop in the bucket compared to things like Semin's $7M for 5 years if he continues to struggle.

No I understand, I just didn't see it as a huge deal as far as confusing things the Canes have done goes, and I still don't, although I suppose it does reflect a bit of a disconnect in the way the front office was thinking. Chalk it up to Francis being new I guess. At least he made the right call on Peters (at least so far).

Either way, excited about this pickup. Why develop prospects when you can let Grand Rapids do it for you?

I guess it's sorta like all the complaints about Justin Peters' contract over the years, but with a forward. At least an underperforming forward is easier to hide in your lineup if you have to play him. I mean, I don't *hate* his play like I thought I would, he's had some decent shifts on the 4th line. But it's just slight mismanagement of payroll space on a 13th forward for a team pinching pennies.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I guess it's sorta like all the complaints about Justin Peters' contract over the years, but with a forward. At least an underperforming forward is easier to hide in your lineup if you have to play him. I mean, I don't *hate* his play like I thought I would, he's had some decent shifts on the 4th line. But it's just slight mismanagement of payroll space on a 13th forward for a team pinching pennies.

That's fair, but my issue with Peters was ALWAYS that he was playing goaltender for us, and really NEVER how much we actually paid him to do so. I agree with your entire post, but that's still just kind of negligible money to me when it comes to things I'll complain about. We're paying Tuomo Ruutu more money than Brad Malone this year.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
He played well in preseason and scored a few goals. He struggled in Detroit getting ample PP time on the 2PP unit and didn't get a point from memory. He's big, of medium pace, can hit and doesn't do anything badly. Sadly, didn't seem to make anything happen in his 10 game stint or thereabouts.

I wish him the best and hope he picks it up a bit for you guys.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Terry has the good fortune of being strong in two areas, perhaps his only two areas of strength, that the Hurricanes really need or at least presume to need. He's fantastic in the shootout and he's a great triggerman on the PP. Seemingly the only player that knows how to one-time a puck off a flat pass. The one observation that Tripp has made this year that I fully endorse was him speaking about Terry's ability to realize when the puck needs to get to the net quickly and why stopping the puck to shoot it like Skinner and others often do, gives the goaltender time to get back into comfortable position to address the chance. You always want to shoot against a moving goalie.
Terry's been off the powerplay for several games now. Is now 12th in average PP time among regulars. And since he's not even slightly useful at even strength and most games don't go shootout, I'm not sure of his actual use to the team.

Still better than Brad Malone, though. What a waste of space. He might as well not even play with a stick.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
My view on Malone is that you are going to be paying a 4th liner $~600K no matter what. Many of those guys are fringe NHLrs and are hit or miss so you win some, lose some. Canes likely don't attract many UFAs unless they sweeten the pot some so I suspect in order to get Malone, they had to make it a one-way, because if it was 2-way, he probably wouldn't have come here (speculation). It's still only 20 games in though, so who knows how it will play out, but if it doesn't, I'm not worried about his salary. He can still server as a 13th forward (who has to make league min.)>

One thing I do know, is they should not let Malone do commercials any more. That one he does about aggressive driving is brutal.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
I'm not sure that's the case, where did you read that? If you remember when Boychuk was waived, he didn't stay on the Pens for that long and they waived him. Then Nashville picked him up and he only lasted a few days there before they waived him. There's nothing in the CBA saying the Canes have to keep him on the roster for 30 days. The only limitation is that they can't trade him this season.

But, if they want to send him down, they have to put him on waivers again and I'm pretty sure if the Canes try to waive him to send him to the AHL, he won't pass through waivers. According to McKenzie, there were others that also made claims so he likely won't clear. That applies no matter how many games he plays or how long he's on the roster.

Section 13 here.

http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/PDF/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

I got that from this article:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/11/red_wings_prepared_to_risk_los.html

Who knows....maybe they got it wrong???

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I got that from this article:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/11/red_wings_prepared_to_risk_los.html

Who knows....maybe they got it wrong???

I fairly certain that article is wrong, unless there have been changes to the CBA in the last year (which I don't think there has). I don't see anything in the CBA that says they need to be on a team for 30 days.

Here's the key clauses in the CBA says in reference to a claiming team:

If only one Club makes a claim for the Player on whom Waivers have been requested, such Player shall be transferred to that Club. In the event that more than one Club makes a claim for such Player, he shall: (i) be transferred to the claiming Club having earned the lowest percentage of possible points in the League standing at the time of the request for Waivers

A Player who has been acquired by Waiver claim shall not be Traded to another Club until the termination of Playoffs of the season in which he was acquired unless he is first offered on the same terms to the Club(s) that entered a claim when Waivers were requested originally and the offer has been refused.

13.22 When a Club claims a Player on Regular or Unconditional Waivers, and, subsequently, in the same season it requests Waivers on the same Player and the original owning Club is the successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the original owning Club shall be entitled to Loan such Player to a club in another league within thirty days without further Waivers being asked; provided that such Player has not participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative) and remained on an NHL roster more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful claim.

That last quote is the only reference to 30 days, and it doesn't mean the claiming team has to keep him on the roster for 30 days.

I don't think it matters though. If the Canes try to send him to Charlotte, I bet another team (probably even Detroit) will try and claim him, especially since McKenzie said there were multiple claims on him.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Terry's been off the powerplay for several games now. Is now 12th in average PP time among regulars. And since he's not even slightly useful at even strength and most games don't go shootout, I'm not sure of his actual use to the team.

Still better than Brad Malone, though. What a waste of space. He might as well not even play with a stick.

Chris Terry is leading the team in Corsi% this season at even strength (59%).

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Deployment

XImz0C9.png

Elsker

Jul 3, 2008
Downtown Raleigh
There is just so much analog information in that digital graphic.

Trends are already solidly there and confirmed by the eye.

Will only get more interesting as the season plays out. But doubt much changes in relative positioning.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm not sure who's going to want Brad Malone at 650k on a one-way through 2015-16. This might require another bribe to get rid of. You guys laughed when I made a big stink about it, but no one's laughing now.

I defended the move then and I still like it. He's a fourth liner making basically the league minimum. I think he's doing just fine. He can hit, skate and cycle. Good enough for me and if you guys think draybo or Dvorak were actually better at it....

I took Nestrasil in our keeper league years ago. He's a big body with decent hands, was a scorer in junior but his slower feet have kept him from really developing. He could be a solid bottom sixer, Detroit's scraps are likely better than some of our players. A good move. We suck, why not change it up when available? He's a good choice, still young enough to surprise.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I mean, there's definitely an argument to be made that he should be playing. It's basically what I've been saying about Murphy. But I think that speaks more to the lack of other options than anything.

jstaal

go canes go
Apr 14, 2009
mass
wait

You know.... Look at what Peters has done with Rask, Terry, and Boychuck. I see no reason why this guy cannot contribute in some shape or form plus he is big. A step in the right direction. Peters obviously had a say in this.

Bluedevil, dont say anything POSITIVE out here, god forbid:handclap:

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
War on Ice doesn't give their algorithm for weighing competition, so I couldn't tell you, to be honest. Most of the time I actually look at Corsi competition anyway but I guess I forgot to set it as that. I don't think it changes much, but as I mentioned I'm kinda drunk and in the process of writing a fanfiction sequel to the Princess Bride as punishment for a friend, so, you know, priorities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad