Confirmed with Link: Canes Claim Nestrasil

bluedevil58*

Did you just passive aggressively imply that this team isn't getting rid of Semin? You did, didn't you?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So who's odd man out if Ointment Guy plays?

Well, Malone has already been the odd man out, so if this new guy plays, my bet on who the odd man out, at least short term, is between Terry, Semin and Boychuk.

I'm going to guess Terry.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I think this might spell the end of the Brad Malone experiment. I would expect him to hit waivers shortly.

As for Nestrasil, everything I have read sounds like he'd be a logical fit with Rask once everybody gets healthy. Having a moderately skilled cycle line would be pretty cool. Provided it's slotted correctly.

bluedevil58*

My guess is Terry. I would rather have size to crash/cycle the net than skill. That is just my opinion. From what Detroit fans are saying this guy is not good at anything but also not bad at anything. So it seems we have an all-rounder with some upside due to him still being young. If he can buy into the system then it will be great. It won't be a major contributor or anything but I expect 20 points out of the guy or so if he can mesh well.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Seems like a solid bottom sixer from what I've read. I'll admit I had no idea who he was when I opened this though.

Peter's seems high on him from his DET days and for what he's done with some of our other kids, that's more than enough for me at the moment.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
My guess is Terry. I would rather have size to crash/cycle the net than skill. That is just my opinion. From what Detroit fans are saying this guy is not good at anything but also not bad at anything. So it seems we have an all-rounder with some upside due to him still being young. If he can buy into the system then it will be great. It won't be a major contributor or anything but I expect 20 points out of the guy or so if he can mesh well.

You'd rather have deadwood than beauty?

bluedevil58*

You'd rather have deadwood than beauty?

You're implying this guy is slow. None of us know that right now. But yes, I would rather have size and grit than skill / speed. Size and grit wins you playoff games and also leads to a better all round puck possession game due to being able to win battles along the boards more frequently thus allowing for a more sustained forecheck. Skill and speed gets you swept. DO you disagree?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

Terry has the good fortune of being strong in two areas, perhaps his only two areas of strength, that the Hurricanes really need or at least presume to need. He's fantastic in the shootout and he's a great triggerman on the PP. Seemingly the only player that knows how to one-time a puck off a flat pass. The one observation that Tripp has made this year that I fully endorse was him speaking about Terry's ability to realize when the puck needs to get to the net quickly and why stopping the puck to shoot it like Skinner and others often do, gives the goaltender time to get back into comfortable position to address the chance. You always want to shoot against a moving goalie.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
You're implying this guy is slow. None of us know that right now. But yes, I would rather have size and grit than skill / speed. Size and grit wins you playoff games and also leads to a better all round puck possession game due to being able to win battles along the boards more frequently thus allowing for a more sustain forecheck. Skill and speed gets you swept. DO you disagree?

I think that anyone can play the type of game that hacks like Crosby or Toews play, and score 100 points doing so. But skill is the beauty of the game. I'd take Terry.

bluedevil58*

I think that anyone can play the type of game that hacks like Crosby or Toews play, and score 100 points doing so. But skill is the beauty of the game. I'd take Terry.

Did you just imply the the Pens do not have size up front?

bluedevil58*

Did you just imply that Crosby is a good hockey player?

Alright I am done with your troll. Trying to talk to you logically about hockey is like trying to teach an autist with down syndrome how to properly swim a 400 IM.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I'm not sure who's going to want Brad Malone at 650k on a one-way through 2015-16. This might require another bribe to get rid of. You guys laughed when I made a big stink about it, but no one's laughing now.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Alright I am done with your troll. Trying to talk to you logically about hockey is like trying to teach an autist with down syndrome how to properly swim a 400 IM.

LOL that's pretty offensive. My "deadwood" comment came from the Semin interview that we were discussing literally yesterday. Semin said that anyone could play the North American style, going to the net, playing like Crosby, etc. It takes a special player to play with skill. That's all I was referencing...

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
You guys found yourself a nice little late bloomer. He was really left for dead as a professional prospect two years ago. To his credit, he really improved his skating and figured out how to play a real professional game. I think his hands are a little underrated and he definitely has some upside left. I hope that he plays well for you.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm not sure who's going to want Brad Malone at 650k on a one-way through 2015-16. This might require another bribe to get rid of. You guys laughed when I made a big stink about it, but no one's laughing now.

I just never saw why it was a big deal. $500,000 is league minimum. I just didn't see the point in complaining about a two-year contract given to a guy that will play NHL games for us. Still don't, even though it didn't work out. This isn't Cam or Gleason or Ruutu, this is next to league min. Good call on him not working out though, I guess on my part it was more hopefulness that hockey insight...

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country

I never got the Malone pick up then and he has turned out just like we had thought. It's like Francis or no one else had ever seen the guy play before, or something....
There were many guys at the time for around the same cost that they passed on.
we don't know it when a player just doesn't want to sign with the Canes however.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
^^ It wasn't so much the money, but the fact that it was two years and a one-way. That's a weird commitment to a guy who's never locked down a full-time NHL spot and hasn't scored more than 11 goals at the AHL level.

Nestrasil has a two-way deal that expires after this year, for what it's worth.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Meh...I still think it's not worth making a stink about. It's barely above league minumum. That's a drop in the bucket compared to things like Semin's $7M for 5 years if he continues to struggle.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
^^ It wasn't so much the money, but the fact that it was two years and a one-way. That's a weird commitment to a guy who's never locked down a full-time NHL spot and hasn't scored more than 11 goals at the AHL level.

Nestrasil has a two-way deal that expires after this year, for what it's worth.

No I understand, I just didn't see it as a huge deal as far as confusing things the Canes have done goes, and I still don't, although I suppose it does reflect a bit of a disconnect in the way the front office was thinking. Chalk it up to Francis being new I guess. At least he made the right call on Peters (at least so far).

Either way, excited about this pickup. Why develop prospects when you can let Grand Rapids do it for you?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00