GDT: Canes at Leaves

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
For the record, with the Svech injury, there weren't any deadline deals that really could have prevented the season going south. So I'm glad we didn't sell out for a rental this year.

But... We need to improve this summer. This current core needs help to push them over the top.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Our issue is the same issue we've had all along. No alphas, no scorers. We don't have a single player the opponent needs to make sure they shut down to beat us.

Svech was the closest we had to that and he's done. Without him we are first round fodder for anyone we play.
Aho and necas but only necas seems to be playing currently at a high level.

Aho can’t continue to disappear…the team needs him. Lol my wife says he looks checked out.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
For the record, with the Svech injury, there weren't any deadline deals that really could have prevented the season going south. So I'm glad we didn't sell out for a rental this year.

But... We need to improve this summer. This current core needs help to push them over the top.
I have zero faith in them actually doing it though. They’ll settle for a couple bargain bin top 9 players and whiff on the big guys … like every other year.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I have zero faith in them actually doing it though. They’ll settle for a couple bargain bin top 9 players and whiff on the big guys they’re after … like every other year.
Will there be anyone for them to get at fair value? I don’t see anyone of value becoming available this summer.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Aho and necas but only necas seems to be playing currently at a high level.

Aho can’t continue to disappear…the team needs him. Lol my wife says he looks checked out.
Aho is one of those players where you wonder where he's getting his points because it feels like you never hear his name in big games or in big moments.

I know someone is going to come with a few examples of him scoring in OT or late in a random game or 3 but it feels like he rarely drives play in those kind of big moments and becomes a passenger.

And Necas resorts to playing Hero Puck and that's just rarely good.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Aho is one of those players where you wonder where he's getting his points because it feels like you never hear his name in big games or in big moments.

I know someone is going to come with a few examples of him scoring in OT or late in a random game or 3 but it feels like he rarely drives play in those kind of big moments and becomes a passenger.

And Necas resorts to playing Hero Puck and that's just rarely good.
So….do you pay him the big $ or trade him for a different talent?

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
For the rest of this season, and to get the #1 star center maybe scoring again is put the two players who own the franchise record for point’s combined back on the same line together. Just a thought.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So….do you pay him the big $ or trade him for a different talent?
Pay him

Our next captain will either be him or Slavin. He will eventually develop that clutch aspect, and you can't bail on someone as good as him at this stage of his career. Just hope that development comes sooner rather than later.

You trade him and it ends up as bad for us as trading Francis ended up for Hartford.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Pay him

Our next captain will either be him or Slavin. He will eventually develop that clutch aspect, and you can't bail on someone as good as him at this stage of his career. Just hope that development comes sooner rather than later.

You trade him and it ends up as bad for us as trading Francis ended up for Hartford.
He is 26 this summer. It’s time.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I might have had a few beers, a nip and a few rips this evening. This is straight up gobbledygook.
Me too.

I’ll go step by step.

Player on team A hits the puck with a high stick in the offensive zone. Then another player from team A goes to the puck but doesn’t touch it because the face off will go outside the zone. Players from team b can play it but choose not to. After a few seconds the ref blows the whistle because no one touched it and the face off stays I. The offensive zone. Players from team b act confused as to why the Faceoff stays in there end.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
He is 26 this summer. It’s time.
how-drunk-are-you-right-now-drunk.gif

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I see my Aho is on a cold streak, he will bounce back post really reassured everyone…

Pay him

Doesn’t he score huge third period goals all the time? He’s going through a cold spell right now, he usually scores really important goals.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I see my Aho is on a cold streak, he will bounce back post really reassured everyone…

Doesn’t he score huge third period goals all the time? He’s going through a cold spell right now, he usually scores really important goals.
I watched game tonight and noticed Aho with Puljarjvi. Just wondering what Canes have thought of him so far

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I have zero faith in them actually doing it though. They’ll settle for a couple bargain bin top 9 players and whiff on the big guys … like every other year.
This. The bar is low based on their history. This summer will be a nothing burger.
Aho is a great player, but I’ve always felt we needed a second center that’s on a similar level to him. He’s been enough to lead us back to the playoffs, but I’ve never been sold about leading us to the cup.
Lindholm, PLD, and biggest long shot of all (probably not until the next deadline or the summer of '24 if at all), EP, are all potential options for a 2C; likelihood of us getting one of them aside. EP is the legit superstar we have needed for years now.

Especially if Carolina has a short playoff run again (it wouldn't be a surprise down Svech and Patches and with how our team has played lately), I'd trade Nikishin and Jarvis + for EP (or some other similar high price) if that's what it took to get an annual 30+ goal scorer who currently has 85 points this season, and who is only 24 and 6'2. However, even if Vancouver were to trade because EP becomes the next Matt Tkachuk being a RFA that wants out, Carolina would probably be empty handed; AGAIN. Personally, I'd prefer to trade KK + Morrow/Nikishin (I'm kind of tempted to replace Nikishin with Jarvis instead with the rest of the package being lower; there's a lot of hype with Nikishin) + 1st round pick+ some combination of another pick (including another 1st round pick) and prospect for EP, but not that my preference matters.

Last edited:

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Pay him

Aho has little champagne to his profile. Both Aho and Slavin are milquetoast Captains. Completely adequate but in a similar vein as Jordan Staal.

Tkachuk would have been a great lightning rod. I'm not sure that anybody on Carolina right now elevates the intensity to achieve apart from Brind'Amour himself. I would guess that is frustrating for him when the Players he likely identifies with are Pacioretty or Svechnikov who are gone for the season.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Yesterday you played the 4th overall ranked team, today you play 27th (and the 2nd worst offense in the league!)

But the starter, fully knowing that players always perform best against former clubs, gets the easy game and the rookie gets the hard game?

Absolutely weird goalie choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad