GDT: Canes at Leaves

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Tonight starts arguably our most difficult slate of games in the year. If we can win more than our fair share through the end of the month (6 of the 7 are top shelf difficult games), then our chances of finishing 1st in the Division are considerably higher.

Schedule comparison, Canes/Devils (sorry Sens fans, I didn't slot you as playoff material):

1679070759786.png

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Another interesting stat: Leafs & Canes both have the same amount of PK & Penalty Kill opportunities. Top teams are not League leaders in penalty opportunity differential with Boston, Canes, Toronto, Kings, Devils, Wild, Oilers essentially neutral to slightly negative. Only our playoff "friends" in NY, Tampa and of course Pittsburgh buck the trend.

1679071685889.png

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Tonight starts arguably our most difficult slate of games in the year. If we can win more than our fair share through the end of the month (6 of the 7 are top shelf difficult games), then our chances of finishing 1st in the Division are considerably higher.

Schedule comparison, Canes/Devils (sorry Sens fans, I didn't slot you as playoff material):

View attachment 670696

True, Canes have a difficult stretch coming up. But there isn't a discrepancy in overall difficulty, only in distribution. Using your categories, both teams play 7 playoff teams and 3 fighting-for-playoff teams. A big difference is that Canes have 2 extra games to collect points, and both of those are against non-playoff teams.

If the Canes finish 2nd it won't be because of the schedule, imo.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
True, Canes have a difficult stretch coming up. But there isn't a discrepancy in overall difficulty, only in distribution. Using your categories, both teams play 7 playoff teams and 3 fighting-for-playoff teams. A big difference is that Canes have 2 extra games to collect points, and both of those are against non-playoff teams.

If the Canes finish 2nd it won't be because of the schedule, imo.
"If we can win more than our fair share through the end of the month (6 of the 7 are top shelf difficult games), then our chances of finishing 1st in the Division are considerably higher."

This was pretty clear....our tougher ones are now and if we can move through them successfully we are positioned nicely.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
"If we can win more than our fair share through the end of the month (6 of the 7 are top shelf difficult games), then our chances of finishing 1st in the Division are considerably higher."

This was pretty clear....our tougher ones are now and if we can move through them successfully we are positioned nicely.
Mine was a general assessment of the situation more so than disagreeing with anything in your post. But I replied to your post in order to include the schedule and difficulty categories you listed.

edit: having said all that, I'm not counting points just because a game is against "lesser" teams. Seems we've been bitten in the ass by a number of bottom dwellers already this season.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
People worry about the schedule too much. Even with the Svech injury, they'll likely win plenty of games cause that's what they do. They'll lose a few to good teams and people will freak out. They'll lose a few to bad teams and people will freak out. And they'll still probably win the division and people will freak out.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham

View attachment 670696
Someday I can read this

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
People worry about the schedule too much. Even with the Svech injury, they'll likely win plenty of games cause that's what they do. They'll lose a few to good teams and people will freak out. They'll lose a few to bad teams and people will freak out. And they'll still probably win the division and people will freak out.
I am not Freakazoid. I do not freak out. Instead I panic in the moment

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad