GDT: Canes at Leaves

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Yesterday you played the 4th overall ranked team, today you play 27th (and the 2nd worst offense in the league!)

But the starter, fully knowing that players always perform best against former clubs, gets the easy game and the rookie gets the hard game?

Absolutely weird goalie choice.
Recognizing that the playoffs are near (and perhaps remembering last year) they are in a strict alternating appearance.

You could argue though that the order is off since Kooch will get more tough ones.

(Since Antii is ded) it will probably be:
Kooch-@ Rangers,
Freddie-Rangers,
Kooch-Leafs,
Freddie-Boston,
Kooch-Tampa

We need our goalies to play strong (particularly Kooch since his last two have been meh).

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
For what it's worth, scuttlebutt had it that they didn't start Andersen because he's performed poorly in the past against his former team, and they don't want to hurt his confidence now, given that he's going to be the projected starter in the playoffs.

Yesh they lost in November at home 3-1. Freddie had a .857 sv%. I was at that one. With a leafs fan. It sucked.

7eyf1z.jpg

Last edited:

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
At least last spring prepared us for this sort of sinking feeling after a great regular season. Hoping they’ll surprise me though!

They look somewhat spent - almost 3 seasons in a row now the same kinda vibe emerges as the season winds down. After all the hard work to be at the top of the league standings. If we fall out of first, send in some Wolves and let these guys rest a little before the playoffs.

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
At least last spring prepared us for this sort of sinking feeling after a great regular season. Hoping they’ll surprise me though!

They look somewhat spent - almost 3 seasons in a row now the same kinda vibe emerges as the season winds down. After all the hard work to be at the top of the league standings. If we fall out of first, send in some Wolves and let these guys rest a little before the playoffs.
So this is what it feels like to be a Caps fan. All those prolific regular seasons only to crash and burn hard early in the postseason. I hope we’re not adopting that trend!

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Its not impossible to believe the team lets off the gas after guaranteeing their playoff spot.

The regular season has been rendered irrelevant with the current playoff format. Why kill your self for 82 games when going hard for 60-65 will be just fine?

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
The goaltending has been average at best, Svech is hurt, and Aho hasn’t scored in forever. It’s not rocket science why the results aren’t there.

For this, or any team, to have success in the playoffs you need your best player to score, and your goaltending play above average at a minimum. The answer of whether that’s going to happen or not isn’t coming in March.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
For all the talk about goaltending last night, 4 of the 5 goals were off odd-man rushes. Yeah, it'd be great if Kotchetkov would have saved them, but why the hell was Toronto able to generate them with such consistency?
That is our scheme. We give up a lot of rushes in comparison to the amount of chances we allow overall. Its why our entire scheme is predicated on getting the puck deep and cycling it. That way the team has enough to react to prevent odd man rushes. Because we have humans playing, turnovers, mishit pucks, and unfortunate bounces create odd man rushes for the opponent.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
For all the talk about goaltending last night, 4 of the 5 goals were off odd-man rushes. Yeah, it'd be great if Kotchetkov would have saved them, but why the hell was Toronto able to generate them with such consistency?
Odd-man rushes against us have been our kryptonite over the past few weeks in particular.

Perhaps Carolina should be more prepared to stop those from happening. There's a lot of video review now of it happening in several games.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Seems like I should be glad I missed this one.
Seems to be a trend lately...team has been completely flat and off, Svech missing or not, we just don't look engaged mentally. Yet we're still out there going full-steam ahead, we're burning our energy but not thinking enough to make it into anything, seems like we're just building into our bad playoff habits the past few years.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
I said I R scared of their odd man rushes but no one listens to my concerns

Reactions: 3CanesInTheBox

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Because they were playing from behind?

That and Necas completely whiffing on a puck sending all the momentum the wrong way and the Marner goal was because he danced Necas at the blue line.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
whats with Aho lately?

He's colder than Santa's genitals during a blizzard.

Because they were playing from behind?

That and Necas completely whiffing on a puck sending all the momentum the wrong way and the Marner goal was because he danced Necas at the blue line.

No Bueno for Necas but also part of the poison we pick when dmen liberally pinch leaving forwards to cover.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad