Confirmed with Link: Canes Acquire Kaski From Red Wings

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
OK, jokes aside, this trade makes a lot of sense for both teams. Wood has some interesting potential as a gigantic bottom-pairing guy down the line, but no way was he getting that shot in Carolina's farm, and had no waivers exemption left. Instead, they got a guy who was statistically one of the best defensemen in Finland's top league last year, signed as a UDFA this off-season, who has 2 seasons of waivers exemptions remaining. It's a very good little swap for both Carolina and Kyle Wood. He's almost certainly going to get a shot as a recall for the godawful Red Wings defense. Really happy for him.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Wings fans here. What should we expect with Wood?

He's got a shot at being a bottom-pairing guy in the NHL. His analytics were outstanding last year in San Jose's AHL affiliate, but he's just caught in the defensive logjam in our farm. He's IMO good call-up material, for sure. Detroit will be a great place for him, because they'll simply test anyone competent out there.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
From Pronman’s (Athletic) August farm system rankings (Kaski was ranked as DET’s 5th best
prospect and Pronman seems to like Kaski a lot more than Priskie):

5. Oliwer Kaski, D, Pelicans-Liiga
Sept. 4, 1995 | 6-foot-3 | 187 pounds
Tier: Very good/legit bubble
Kaski was the top defenseman and MVP of Liiga, taking a massive step forward as a player into an NHL prospect and signing with Detroit after the season. He’s an offensive defenseman with size. He has a good skill level and a cannon of a shot, scoring more than 20 goals between Liiga’s season and playoffs. He’s a power play guy, but I wouldn’t call him a natural puck-mover. He can transition the puck due to his solid mobility and skill, but his decision making isn’t always the best. For that reason and because he is not overly physical, he hasn’t often been trusted to kill penalties in Liiga or for the national team. I could see him carve out a role as power play guy who is average at 5-on-5, but I could also see him not being reliable enough at even strength.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
this is a good move. kaski is a different profile than we have in charlotte and could possibly work his way up to a 3rd pairing or 7th defenseman role if he can come out and show more offense. interesting that he didn't get a crack in detroit considering what's going on there, but they may not have had the desire to shift a defensive liability. should be a fun one to watch. the pedigree looks good.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
C’mon Guys, I know we get board easily, but let’s knot fill this thread with our warped sense of humor.

On a serious note, I think people are barking up the wrong tree regarding kaski’s potential.

I’ll see myself out.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad