Confirmed with Link: Canadiens sign Daniel Briere for 2YR/8M (w/NMC) - Part II: Butthurt welcomed

Mats NAslund

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Two bad signing s by Bergevin

Desharnais and now Briere.
Maybe he did it thinking he could get a good return on Briere at the trade deadline...Montreal is NOT making the playoffs with that band of misfits...

Gionta
Desharnais
Briere
Boullion
Gallagher
Plekanec

My son's Midget AA team wouldn't be afraid to face those guys!

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Maybe he did it thinking he could get a good return on Briere at the trade deadline...Montreal is NOT making the playoffs with that band of misfits...

Gionta
Desharnais
Briere
Boullion
Gallagher
Plekanec

You're not measuring talent or effectiveness or grit or production, you're simply measuring inches. You've gathered everyone under 6' and labelled them "Misfits" based on where their head reaches the tape. How does that make the slightest bit of sense?

If you had stopped typing after, "Two bad signings", it would've been much better.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Gionta
Desharnais
Briere
Boullion
Gallagher
Plekanec

I don't understand why people are sooo mad. We got another midget that's gonna replace the other midget that left (Ryder), but this one is NOT gonna disappear in the playoffs, probably gonna even be of of our best players. People forget what counts it's the playoffs. And I think we have a playoff team.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB

Gionta
Desharnais
Briere
Boullion
Gallagher
Plekanec

Sure - not making the playoffs, yet a few months ago they won the division with the same group (minus Ryder).

How is one to take you seriously?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
As bad as Briere was last season he STILL had 3 more points in 13 less games than Cole last season.

void

Jan 5, 2006
So after my ridiculous overreaction yesterday, I've decided to accept the signing and just give him a chance. Maybe (hopefully) last season was in fact just a fluke for him.. and if it wasn't then oh well, it's only for 2 years. We've got a really young core so a vet like Briere is always good to have around.

He's obviously coming here to prove something and I really hope it works out.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
So after my ridiculous overreaction yesterday, I've decided to accept the signing and just give him a chance. Maybe (hopefully) last season was in fact just a fluke for him.. and if it wasn't then oh well, it's only for 2 years. We've got a really young core so a vet like Briere is always good to have around.

quitter

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't know why TSN kept spewing that nonsense. Alfredsson is 40. 40 year-old players aren't really all that helpful. He's still useful, but compared to Bobby Ryan... Nah, Ottawa did more than fine replacing Alfredsson.
Ryan is a huge upgrade over Alfie without a doubt. Folks talking about what a big loss he is are really overstating things. And Bobby Ryan with Jason Spezza should be pretty good.

Figaro95*

Gionta
Desharnais
Briere
Boullion
Gallagher
Plekanec

Gallagher would light your son up.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I think Ryan is a huge upgrade on Alfie. Wish we could've put something together for him.

You've been a prince on the topic of moving on from tanking. And you are being consistent.

But I still think Habs can afford one more bad year, and hence a top ten pick. Therefore I am very happy with Bergy's attitude this year.

No bad long term contracts in UFA. (I will leave the inexplicable DD contract out of this.)

Give Tiny and the rest a chance to grow. And protect the kids with a beast like Parros in the meantime.

So far so good.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Wow you'd think we finished last again last year by reading these posts.

May as well have to get knocked out by a crap team like Ottawa. Every team that's coming into our division has gotten considerably better except Florida.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
So how does Briere stack up against Plekanec?

I know he's been a pretty lazy backchecker but how about on the offensive side of things?

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
So how does Briere stack up against Plekanec?

I know he's been a pretty lazy backchecker but how about on the offensive side of things?

Briere is possibly more creative in the offensive zone, but Plekanec is so many lightyears ahead on transition that his team is going to be much better at getting chances.

Level the ES usage playing field by looking at PP performance against PP performance and Plekanec noticable outperfoms him. No shame in that, how high #14 ranks in PP performance compared to the league would surprise some people here.

I'd be pretty comfortable with a Pacioretty-Plekanec-Briere 1st forward unit with the man-advantage though. Briere is probably an upgrade on either of the existing RH shots in Gallagher and Gionta with the man advantage (Gionta is pretty limited there, Gallagher hasn't figured out the knack of PP scoring, which is something rookies tend to struggle with).

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Briere is possibly more creative in the offensive zone, but Plekanec is so many lightyears ahead on transition that his team is going to be much better at getting chances.

Level the ES usage playing field by looking at PP performance against PP performance and Plekanec noticable outperfoms him. No shame in that, how high #14 ranks in PP performance compared to the league would surprise some people here.

I'd be pretty comfortable with a Pacioretty-Plekanec-Briere 1st forward unit with the man-advantage though. Briere is probably an upgrade on either of the existing RH shots in Gallagher and Gionta with the man advantage (Gionta is pretty limited there, Gallagher hasn't figured out the knack of PP scoring, which is something rookies tend to struggle with).

interesting, thanks. the only thing is, Briere should play center. the word is that he's just not that good as a winger.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011

Right?

He has some big cohones for a tiny man to sign here. I expect a good year.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Sure - not making the playoffs, yet a few months ago they won the division with the same group (minus Ryder).

How is one to take you seriously?

a guy with a handle such as Mats Naslund complaining about size... to awnser your question : you dont take the guy seriously. :nod:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You've been a prince on the topic of moving on from tanking. And you are being consistent.

But I still think Habs can afford one more bad year, and hence a top ten pick. Therefore I am very happy with Bergy's attitude this year.

No bad long term contracts in UFA. (I will leave the inexplicable DD contract out of this.)

Give Tiny and the rest a chance to grow. And protect the kids with a beast like Parros in the meantime.

So far so good.
Yes, I believe in rebuilding. But at some point you have to run with what you've got.

This past year we came in 2nd in the East. We had some younger player emerge and PK turned into a superstar. So now we have to pick a direction. Do we rebuild or do we start to go with what we've got?

I don't see how we can just keep rebuilding when we've got players like Price, Max and PK coming into their prime. YES we should've rebuilt more. Yes we've ****ed things up for years but now it is what it is. And we have to start going for it.

So what do we need? Add a big winger and a big top four defenseman who can clear the crease. If we did that we'd be in pretty good shape as it would help Price and help our smaller forwards.

Bobby Ryan would've been great. Maybe it costs us Beaulieu and a pick. But at the end of the day he's what we needed. And getting him would send a message to every player in the league that we're serious about winning and actually have the horses to do it. Same with say a Braydon Coburn. Big strong blueliner who's also available.

Instead we go out and we do the opposite of what we should. We send a message to everyone that we're going to continue to build with leftovers and we're going to stay small and weak. Might as well have just gone and traded back for Cammy or Koivu...

We're too good to tank. We're not good enough to win a cup. I felt like we were a piece or two away but now we've managed to push ourselves further away... Our GM looks like he has no idea how to build a winning team and that's scary because we've already gone through this with several failed GMs already.

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
After hearing Bergevin's media conference, I'm less angry at the fact we didn't get bigger. He said that teams who had the size in the top 6 aren't willing to part with these guys and if they do, you have to give half of your team for them wich the Habs arent ready to do. With that being said, I'm sure he did try and just wan't ready to sacrifice our prospects and draft picks since we're rebuilding and it didn't make any sense. Ottawa gave a 1st and the equivalence of 2 first round players for Ryan, this is too much. I'd rather have Timmins select 3 first rounders and build from there than acquire Ryan. The habs got two big forwards this season in their first 3 picks, this is the way to go.

The only thing I'd want is to get rid of someone like Desharnais or Gionta, at least we know Gionta is gone next summer...

I have no problem with not overpaying for size but that doesn't explain why we offer Briere 4m but Lecavalier 3m and Ryder 0m. Especially considering Briere had by far the worst year of the 3, is the oldest, smallest and has the worse injury problems (conusssions).

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
So how many people wish we had just kept Cole?

Cole: 47GP 9G 4A 13P -6
Briere: 34GP 6G 10A 16P -13

Cole has 2 years left at 4.5m, Briere has 2 years a 4m.

My vote goes for Cole.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
So how many people wish we had just kept Cole?

Cole: 47GP 9G 4A 13P -6
Briere: 34GP 6G 10A 16P -13

Cole has 2 years left at 4.5m, Briere has 2 years a 4m.

My vote goes for Cole.

That was my initial reaction.. I just don't know anymore. If Briere can return to form Briere >> Cole, if not Cole > Briere based on team needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad