Confirmed with Link: Canadiens sign Daniel Briere for 2YR/8M (w/NMC) - Part II: Butthurt welcomed

couris

Dec 28, 2005
So then let Plecs have the ice or DD. We have enough centers there.

As for him on the wings, we've got Galllagher and Gionta. We need another smurf like we need a hole in the head. We've spent the last few weeks talking about how we could get rid of some of these guys and now we've added another one.

So we go get a small center. Yeah... makes sense.

Briere is better than our current midgets except Gallagher. Adding Briere does not mean we cant trade our ****** midgets.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Briere is better than our current midgets except Gallagher. Adding Briere does not mean we cant trade our ****** midgets.
No reason to add another one. As for him being better than our other midgets, I don't think that's true either.

No matter how you slice it, it made no sense to add the very kind of player we've all been praying that we'd be getting away from. And that includes our own GM.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
We need to get better. Thats the message. Briere is more skilled than rydar dd plekanec and we need moar skill x 10000

You can't seriously, seriously, SERIOUSLY believe that Briere is better than Plekanec. That is so utterly ridiculous I'll give you the benefit of the doubt it was a typo in your post.

And the fact that you're pimping Briere as an improvement on Desharnais shows how low your standards are.

But yes, we do need to get better. To me, that means getting the table d'hote, not a side dish of cole slaw.

couris

Dec 28, 2005
No reason to add another one. As for him being better than our other midgets, I don't think that's true either.

No matter how you slice it, it made no sense to add the very kind of player we've all been praying that we'd be getting away from. And that includes our own GM.

No matter how you slice it, Briere makes sense as he is skilled and good enough to play on our first line. We are a team with very little skill and with Plekanec as our first center:help:

couris

Dec 28, 2005
You can't seriously, seriously, SERIOUSLY believe that Briere is better than Plekanec. That is so utterly ridiculous I'll give you the benefit of the doubt it was a typo in your post.

And the fact that you're pimping Briere as an improvement on Desharnais shows how low your standards are.

But yes, we do need to get better. To me, that means getting the table d'hote, not a side dish of cole slaw.

You complain a lot, tell me how you want to improve this ****** team?

Macs

Sep 7, 2008
Montreal
I understand all the hate for briere, considering the way he rejected Montreal in 2007, but it was the best way to replace Ryder/cole production and leadership dollarwise, without mortgaging the salary structure for future years renegotiation. Big names today got big juicy and long contracts that we can't not afford considering all the young players that will cash in sooner than later.

Briere is there to fill a jersey for 2 years and help us stay competitive as the prospects mature.

Last edited:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

Get bigger and harder to play against, Hendricks ( 4 x 1.85) might not be the answer but it a hell of a lot closer to it than shrimpy briere.

couris

Dec 28, 2005
Get bigger and harder to play against, Hendricks ( 4 x 1.85) might not be the answer but it a hell of a lot closer to it than shrimpy briere.

Briere>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>^9999 Hendricks.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I understand all the hate for briere, considering the way he rejected Montreal in 2007, but it was the best way to replace Ryder/cole production and leadership dollarwise, without mortgaging the salary structure for futures years renegotiation. Big names today got big juicy and long contract that we can't not afford considering all the young players that will cash in sooner than later.

Briere is there to fill a jersey for 2 years and help us stay competitive as the prospects mature.

It has zero to do with being spurned. It has to do with brieres remaining skills are what we are already swimming in. This notion that let's make a move and if its not as bad as some then that's a good deal is idiocy.

If its okay to signed washed up players who don't address team needs, let's sign dipietro. He used to be good and I'm sure we can get him for cheap.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No matter how you slice it, Briere makes sense as he is skilled and good enough to play on our first line. We are a team with very little skill and with Plekanec as our first center:help:
??????

Plecs, Galchenyuk, Max, Gionta, Gallagher, Eller, DD... all skilled guys. Most of them are small.

Briere is not as good as Plecs. And at this stage I think Eller, Galchenyuk and DD are at least as good with a couple of these guys with the upside to be much better.
For starters, stop making stupid moves like this. Secondly, stop defending stupid moves like this when they're made.

That would be a good start.

couris

Dec 28, 2005
??????

Plecs, Galchenyuk, Max, Gionta, Gallagher, Eller, DD... all skilled guys. Most of them are small.

Briere is not as good as Plecs. And at this stage I think Eller, Galchenyuk and DD are at least as good with a couple of these guys with the upside to be much better.

He is good enough to be our first line RW. shows how bad we are.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It has zero to do with being spurned. It has to do with brieres remaining skills are what we are already swimming in. This notion that let's make a move and if its not as bad as some then that's a good deal is idiocy.

If its okay to signed washed up players who don't address team needs, let's sign dipietro. He used to be good and I'm sure we can get him for cheap.
I wonder what Jeremy Roenick is up to these days. At least he used to be a power forward.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Briere>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>^9999 Hendricks.

At the all stars skill competitions, sure. On the have, no. For briere to be good he needs space, he won't make it for himself and we don't have guys to make it for him. We weren't clamoring for ageing one dimensional Smuts last year. We have a team of peanut butter soft forwards crying out for some jam, briefs ain't it.

Macs

Sep 7, 2008
Montreal

Briere was hired to score goals since we lost cole and Ryder. He's also supposed to bring leadership and to be clutch in the playoff, two big things we desperately need.

I know the team is lacking physical winger, but the offseason is far from over yet.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Some people are clueless. Although I'm disapointed that Bergevin couldn't really upgrade the team, it doesn't work the way some people think it is. It's not " Ok, I like player A so I'll offer "x" money ("x" being what the player gets when he signed with another team) to him and he'll be on my team". It's not as simple. Even if you offered the EXACT same term and $$ - or even more - to a player who signed elsewhere , he wouldn't have automatically accept your offer. There's a lot more factors than that, like wanting to play in this city, the role he'll have on the team, who he's going to play with, etc... Same goes for trade. Even if could match say Ottawa's offer for Ryan in term of value, maybe the Ducks still would have prefered the Sens' deal. Maybe one of their scout is crazy high on Silf and prefer him to a similar player we could have offered. Or some other thing.

Could Bergevin have done better? Probably. But being a GM is not as easy as some people make it out to be. We can guess for sure, that's what is fun in discussing hockey, but man, can some people knock it off and stop acting like they know better than everyone else ffs.

FXBrassard

Oct 28, 2011
i cant find the briere article on his playoff performance on broadstreethockey, can anyone help me?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Briere was hired to score goals since we lost cole and Ryder. He's also supposed to bring leadership and to be clutch in the playoff, two big things we desperately need.

I know the team is lacking physical winger, but the offseason is far from over yet.

We were 4th in the league in goals last season, we don't need more scoring, we need to not be ragdolled by middle of the pack teams like the Ottawa senators. If we had guys who could open the ice for gionta and Gallagher we would more than offset what briere brings.

No one is going to follow an ageing smurf who don't be here one second past two years. He might help the young kids but he does not step into a leadership position with one foot out the door.

Maelpj*

Starting already to lose a little faith in Marc Bergevin.. I always give some time to GM, like I did with Gauthier and Gainey, but he already have made questionnable move for me to still believe 100% in his capacity.. I'il give him the benifice of the doubt..

One would think that a GM observe during playoff and analyse his team and the others succeful teams who went far into playoff this season. What caused us to not go far? Well first, the loss of Emelin. It CLEARLY showed us the lack of depth we had at the blue line. It would be safe to say that a TOP 4 solid, stay at home d-man would be a glaring need for this team, cause the loss of Emelin turned the Habs from a 2nd place in the east team to a one playing under 500. We saw with succeful playoff team, that DEFENSE play is crucial.

How has Bergevin adressed the situation? Drewski.. well **** me side way.. Drewiski is cleary NOT a top 4 def. So in reality, he didn't adressed the problem.

Another of our weakness is obviously lack of physicality, grit, toughness, etc. And I'm talking all over the line-up. The Habs looked like a bunch of school girls against the Sens and seemed lost when the Sens ( a team who isn't even that much physical) . started to hits everything they saw. We were loosing battle along the board, into coner, couldn't establish ourselve in front of the net or into the slot. This resulted in less goals scored. The answer from Bergevin? A 4th line plug who is going to play 5 min a night.. The team still going to be dominated physically the other 55 min of the game. Add to that the signing of Desharnais 3.5m$ long term. Makes me wonder even more about Bergevin "vision".

So it was pretty clear that to improve the team, our biggest need were A TOP 4 d-man and some grit all over the line up from who are going to play a lot ( Top 9 foward, top 4 d-man). We aren't that tight on the cap space, but it's not like we have a lot to spend to. And on what did Bergevin spent 4m$? Freaking Briere the smurf!! Come, we ain't adressing a need at all. What is the point of such a move? We are loosing cap space who we could of use for a Top 4 d-man or some grit.

I'm sick of having "conservative" GM on the Habs front office. Times for some Ballsy GM a la Chiarelly who are ready to pay the price to adress need and don't **** around with mediocre hole-filler. Hell, ITS ABOUT TIME THIS TEAM CHANGE IS PHILOSOPHY. Offer more money to the like of Clarkson, Iginla, Scuderi, Clowe, Lecavalier if you have to or use trade to fill NEEDS using prospect and picks. Yes, sometimes you have to give to get. You have to take risk to improve. FFS Im sick of mediocrity , for as long as this team aim for averageness, we will be average. Hell, if you don't want to go for big name and stay pat, then REALLY stay pat. Don't aquire has been and consolidation price, let the young play. Worst case scenario, we tank a year or two and build ourselve a core of elite players... The Habs, Condamned to be a middle pack team for ever .

Last edited by a moderator:

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
I just realized that Brière was captain of the Sabres and assistant captain with the Flyers. Is he that good of a leader?

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I just realized that Brière was captain of the Sabres and assistant captain with the Flyers. Is he that good of a leader?

He shows the kids how to stick people in the groin in a way the refs can't see. He's a father figure, really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad