Recalled/Assigned: Canadiens Recall Michael Chaput from Laval Rocket

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
No I am not lying because I agreed that Peca was a stupid signing and the DLR two year contract made sense. I argued the second Peca was signed that it was redundant. Bad asset management by an inept GM
Peca looked fantastic in preseason and 100% deserved to take DLR's spot. Someone had to go, and DLR was the obvious answer at that time.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Like I said Torey was a 10 year vet while DLR was rushed into the NHL at 19. DLR has/had much more potential than Torey Mitchell.
I haven't seen DLR improve at all offensively. I'll be surprised if he even averages 20 points a season.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Peca looked fantastic in preseason and 100% deserved to take DLR's spot. Someone had to go, and DLR was the obvious answer a at that time.
Yeah and now we have a 5’8 4th line center who has not discernible skills other than skating. There is a reason that at 25 he had played a total of 20 NHL games.

Reactions: Chr1s97

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah and now we have a 5’8 4th line center who has not discernible skills other than skating. There is a reason that at 25 he had played a total of 20 NHL games.
Lol he is 8 points behind DLR despite playing nearly 100 games less.
Also this is what you said in early in the season:
I like him but he is the poster child of what happens when you bring up players before they are ready. I think he clears because of his one way contact status.
A big body who can skate and has good defensive awareness.

Every team has a DLR on their roster somewhere. I doubt he gets claimed
And this...
Post-Game Talk: - The first of many. Habs lose 5-2 to Fla

So how does he go from someone that clears waivers and should be an extra forward to a perfect 4th line center?

Reactions: Frankenheimer

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I bet Peca does not either. At least DLR hit, skated hard and was not easy to play against. Peca was a mistake and it shows itself every game
Hate to break it to you but Peca is on pace for a 25 point season. Peca is a better skater and MUCH better offensively than DLR. I like his defensive game more than the "big" DLR who has 11 hits in 8 games.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Lol he is 8 points behind DLR despite playing nearly 100 games less.
Also this is what you said in early in the season:

And this...
Post-Game Talk: - The first of many. Habs lose 5-2 to Fla

So how does he go from someone that clears waivers and should be an extra forward to a perfect 4th line center?
I did not think any player would get picked because rosters were pretty set. That says a lot about DLR that someone claimed him. He showed some good things and was signed for 2 years...I simply don’t think that Peca is an upgrade, especially with someone so small. DLR is nothing special as I don’t think anyone with 4th line upside is. Still way better than the 4th line center we have now. Just my opinion

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I did not think any player would get picked because rosters were pretty set. That says a lot about DLR that someone claimed him. He showed some good things and was signed for 2 years...I simply don’t think that Peca is an upgrade, especially with someone so small. DLR is nothing special as I don’t think anyone with 4th line upside is. Still way better than the 4th line center we have now. Just my opinion
Sure, but just going by those quotes you don't make it sound like DLR is the perfect 4th liner. He may be small, but he is good offensively for a 4th liner and you can certainly use him on the PK. Point is that the difference between Peca and DLR is not something you can call terrible management.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Sure, but just going by those quotes you don't make it sound like DLR is the perfect 4th liner. He may be small, but he is good offensively for a 4th liner and you can certainly use him on the PK. Point is that the difference between Peca and DLR is not something you can call terrible management.
Fair enough Sir...great debate and who knows who will be right? I enjoy talking Habs hockey sir!

Reactions: Runner77

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC
It's pretty obvious the Habs are looking for answers on the 4th line. With the high energy kind of game they're playing and the tight schedule coming up, ice time needs to be more spread around and forwards are going to take turns on the fourth line / out of the line-up.

Being a Rocket's avid viewer, Chaput isn't a bad option. They need to keep Evans down there IMO, let him gain some experience. Shinkaruk has been so-so. I don't think Belzile is an NHL guy. Grenier is pretty borderline too. Next in line is Froese who was really good the last few times I've seen him but IMO they made him the captain for a reason: they want him to mentor (for real this time) the kids.

Reactions: Fazkovsky

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
It's pretty obvious the Habs are looking for answers on the 4th line. With the high energy kind of game they're playing and the tight schedule coming up, ice time needs to be more spread around and forwards are going to take turns on the fourth line / out of the line-up.

Being a Rocket's avid viewer, Chaput isn't a bad option. They need to keep Evans down there IMO, let him gain some experience. Shinkaruk has been so-so. I don't think Belzile is an NHL guy. Grenier is pretty borderline too. Next in line is Froese who was really good the last few times I've seen him but IMO they made him the captain for a reason: they want him to mentor (for real this time) the kids.

I do agree. Chaput earned it and Shinkaruk didnt

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Chaput looked good in the preseason and has apparently done well in the A as well, I'm good with this. Weber must be close to returning because otherwise Kulak would've been the obvious choice though.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Fair enough Sir...great debate and who knows who will be right? I enjoy talking Habs hockey sir!

Why don't you guys make a little vCash bet out of it, for shits and giggles?

Who will score more points on an percentage basis, over the whole of the season: Peca or DLR?

Reactions: Tyson

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Two forward call ups this season and McCarron is not one of them. Got to think his time with the Habs is pretty much done.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand, but I feel like I'm missing something really obvious. Juulsen gets injured, so we call up Chaput? Does this mean Weber is really close to returning? Does this mean there will be other roster movement?

Even with Juulsen we have 7 healthy defensemen. My guess is one of Deslauriers (5 min of ice time last game) or Hudon (one shift in the 3rd period) is scratched next game.

I don't know why they'd call up a forward unless they may be moving one.

What's your take on Chaput -- is he the forward who most deserved a call-up?

Chaput was really good in preseason and I thought he would be a perfect 4th liner...

Two forward call ups this season and McCarron is not one of them. Got to think his time with the Habs is pretty much done.

This guy is done. He's a non factor in the AHL. (2 goals thus far...)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

He's actually doing well in Laval. I think of two reasons they called Chaput over McCarron (and this is me guessing):

1) Bouchard wants to work more with him and doesn't want that work interrupted just yet.

2) Habs may feel like if they keep McCarron for 10 games or 30 days, they need to place him on waivers again and they may not want to risk losing him just yet.

But McCarron's looking good so far, though.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
He's actually doing well in Laval. I think of two reasons they called Chaput over McCarron (and this is me guessing):

1) Bouchard wants to work more with him and doesn't want that work interrupted just yet.

2) Habs may feel like if they keep McCarron for 10 games or 30 days, they need to place him on waivers again and they may not want to risk losing him just yet.

I went to a couple games at PB and he wasn't a factor at all....

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

One can only hope he is still in the plans and he can be a useful NHL player with the size he has on a team that is so small.

Reactions: Tyson

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I went to a couple games at PB and he wasn't a factor at all....

Yes. He's not perfect. He has games where you don't notice him. But I've watched every Laval game so far and he's had more good games than bad. Last season, he was a non-factor night in and night out. This year, you notice him a lot more and he contributes, whether on the scoresheet or his physicality.

One can only hope he is still in the plans and he can be a useful NHL player with the size he has on a team that is so small.

I had written him off last year and after his training camp. I had no more hope for him.

But when he was sent down, he had a conversation with Bouchard and so far, we're seeing an improved McCarron.

His skating has improved. I don't know if that improvement will have an effect in the NHL. It may not be enough for that level. But in the AHL, you notice the improvement.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Yes. He's not perfect. He has games where you don't notice him. But I've watched every Laval game so far and he's had more good games than bad. Last season, he was a non-factor night in and night out. This year, you notice him a lot more and he contributes, whether on the scoresheet or his physicality.

I agree that he's better than last year... but he's still not more than an AHLer at this point.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I will agree that Peca has looked completely different than his preseason performance and it's pretty disappointing.

A more open game in Pre Season and the first month of the regular season. The NHL trend is skating but it's also big dudes that can skate and has offense. Where DLR lacks is Peca's offensive skills. Where Peca lacks is DLR size and ability to neutralize and cause turnovers. Too bad we couldn't get a hybrid player from the two of them.

Habs need to be careful with small speedy players. I like our speed and it's important for our success but we also need guys like DLR. Our lack of size issue has been and continues to be a problem. Not talking about McCarron types. Talking about Tkachuk types. At least Kotkaniemi and Poehling has size and our center depth looks solid.

I preferred DLR over Peca in a bottom 6 role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad