Recalled/Assigned: Canadiens Recall Michael Chaput from Laval Rocket

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Going strictly by preseason play, Chaput deserved to be called up before d'Agostino. I have no expectations whatsoever for Chaput, other than being bigger than Charles Hudon.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He was playing against rookies and fringe players, he really isn't an NHL player at all. Not yet anyways.

If we're going to be fair, DLR wasn't able to stand out against those same rookies and fringe players.

Peca's definitely dropped compared to what he was showing at camp and even the start of the year.

But...

If we're looking at production, Peca has played 87 less NHL games than DLR and only has 8 less points.

If we're looking at age, Peca is only two years older. Nothing really major in difference when Peca is only 25.

If we're looking at salary, Peca only makes $200K more than DLR. That is peanuts for a team with $11M in cap space.

I like DLR and also pictured him as Habs' 4C. But unfortunately for him, when the teams are supposed to make these decisions at camp and early in the season, Peca outplayed DLR.

Reactions: donghabs98

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
- Skinner has a NMC. Not even sure he would of accepted a trade to Montreal
- Duclair turned us down. I remember reading about this.
- Perron and Sheary... Don't care.
- We were not getting Domi without using Galchenyuk. We can hope there was another deal but who? Coyotes were not trading Domi for a package return. Yeah, he was not trending well but that don't mean the Coyotes were trading him for cheap or not getting a serious return for him.

I'm not overly upset we lost DLR. After all, he is a bottom 6 talent. However, I rather we didn't lose him. I see him being a very good piece in the bottom 6. With me it was easy, just send Alzner down and go with 6 D while we played lots of home games and the road games were close to Montreal. Laval is close.

-Skinner is Canadian, I doubt he'd rather play in Buffalo than Montreal.
- had read Duclair never got an offer from us.
-you prefer DLR to Perron of Sheary?
-I think we could have got Domi for a package including Poehling, early 2nd, and a roster player such as Lehkonen, Shaw, Armia, Scherbak, etc..

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
-I think we could have got Domi for a package including Poehling, early 2nd, and a roster player such as Lehkonen, Shaw, Armia, Scherbak, etc..

- Skinner is an Ontario boy. I doubt he chooses Montreal where he waives his NMC
- Not 100% sure. I recall Duclair turning us down. I think the offer we gave him was a two way deal which was an issue with him.
- No, I don't want Perron or Sheary to take up our cap space where we are already loaded up front and something has to give. I don't want anything to do with any moves that helps our middle of the pack strategy. Perron and Sheary are depth moves. Not interested in them taking up cap space where we have many young players knocking on the door.
- Domi for Poehling, 2nd and a roster player? Come on man! If you say no to ROR in a futures price, you say no to Domi as well. The only issue I had with Domi for Galchenyuk was we should of got a 2nd or 3rd on top of Domi in return. At this stage, I'm only listening to trading Poehling if we get a stud in return who plays LD.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If we're going to be fair, DLR wasn't able to stand out against those same rookies and fringe players.

Peca's definitely dropped compared to what he was showing at camp and even the start of the year.

But...

If we're looking at production, Peca has played 87 less NHL games than DLR and only has 8 less points.

If we're looking at age, Peca is only two years older. Nothing really major in difference when Peca is only 25.

If we're looking at salary, Peca only makes $200K more than DLR. That is peanuts for a team with $11M in cap space.

I like DLR and also pictured him as Habs' 4C. But unfortunately for him, when the teams are supposed to make these decisions at camp and early in the season, Peca outplayed DLR.
Yep and now we are seeing why he has been a career minor leaguer, he brings nothing

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Before the season started this team was rebuilding/tanking/retooling etc... The habs weren't in a position to trade for all these players. Duclair would of been a good player to take a flyer on but Perron/Sheary/Skinner was not the direction this team was going in.

If the habs were 5-16 would you still be saying the same thing? The record and position we are in is a total surprise we were supposed to be where St Louis or the Pens are.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Before the season started this team was rebuilding/tanking/retooling etc... The habs weren't in a position to trade for all these players. Duclair would of been a good player to take a flyer on but Perron/Sheary/Skinner was not the direction this team was going in.

If the habs were 5-16 would you still be saying the same thing? The record and position we are in is a total surprise we were supposed to be where St Louis or the Pens are.

I was saying the same thing before the season that's why I mention it.

Skinner for a 2nd was a steal. Even if you don't resign him, chances are he fetches at least a 1st at the deadline, is what I said then. Now, he's on pace to get 2 1sts! I'm livid we didn't get him.

Duclair, Perron, and Sheary were all available for free!!!!!!!!!! (a 4th for Sheary is pretty much free)

Jul 6, 2016
I was saying the same thing before the season that's why I mention it.

Skinner for a 2nd was a steal. Even if you don't resign him, chances are he fetches at least a 1st at the deadline, is what I said then. Now, he's on pace to get 2 1sts! I'm livid we didn't get him.

Duclair, Perron, and Sheary were all available for free!!!!!!!!!! (a 4th for Sheary is pretty much free)

He is the UFA I wanted Habs to sign... Not Peca. Not Plekky.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Much rather Chaput that having Froese up here again, also glad they didn't do something stupid and call up Evans after a few good games.

Jul 6, 2016
Much rather Chaput that having Froese up here again, also glad they didn't do something stupid and call up Evans after a few good games.

Having good AHL vets like Agostino, Chaput, Froese allows that. Keep the rookies in the AHL as long as possible. DLR and MacCarron were kind of ruined, or at least, mixed up badly.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Yep and now we are seeing why he has been a career minor leaguer, he brings nothing

Eh. In his much shorter NHL stint to date, Peca's done nearly as much as DLR. And defensively, DLR wasn't all that great either. There were a lot of chances against when he was on the ice (Marc Dumont likes to point to advanced stats to explain his statement) and I remember him saying this in one of his TSN690 segments.

Reactions: 26Mats

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Would be great if Chaput become this year version of last year DLO, nothing to lose anyway, cant be worse than last game 4th line performance

Reactions: BLONG7

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I am more concerned by our D-Corp play than by a 4th line play.

Very true. The fact that the fourth line is the problem at forwards is a good thing. That means the Top-9 is working. Byron and Armia should help fix that for sure.

And like you, I also believe the biggest issue is the defense. Weber will help boost the blue line. But there is a lot more work to be done.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Eh. In his much shorter NHL stint to date, Peca's done nearly as much as DLR. And defensively, DLR wasn't all that great either. There were a lot of chances against when he was on the ice (Marc Dumont likes to point to advanced stats to explain his statement) and I remember him saying this in one of his TSN690 segments.
Fair point but Peca is too small to be on a so called gritty and grinding 4th line. DLR was built for that assignment

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I am more concerned by our D-Corp play than by a 4th line play.

The D-corps should be fine when Weber and Juulsen are back.

And, the fourth line should be fine when Byron and Armia are back.

Right now it's all about finding the best injury replacements for both.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
- Skinner is an Ontario boy. I doubt he chooses Montreal where he waives his NMC
- Not 100% sure. I recall Duclair turning us down. I think the offer we gave him was a two way deal which was an issue with him.
- No, I don't want Perron or Sheary to take up our cap space where we are already loaded up front and something has to give. I don't want anything to do with any moves that helps our middle of the pack strategy. Perron and Sheary are depth moves. Not interested in them taking up cap space where we have many young players knocking on the door.
- Domi for Poehling, 2nd and a roster player? Come on man! If you say no to ROR in a futures price, you say no to Domi as well. The only issue I had with Domi for Galchenyuk was we should of got a 2nd or 3rd on top of Domi in return. At this stage, I'm only listening to trading Poehling if we get a stud in return who plays LD.

Ah so we could have gotten Domi without trading Galchenyuk in your view.

With the package I proposed, I was trying to illustrate, without a doubt, that we could have gotten Domi without trading Galchenyuk. I would take Galchenyuk over Poehling. I still think our biggest weakness as we build the team, will be high end offensive talent. Timmins will draft the top 4 d. Bergevin will eventually find the bottom pair d. Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Mete, and Reilly is a nice base that will be added to by the likes of Brook, Fleury, Romanov, and Timmins' future picks. KK, Domi, and Danault will be enough at C, but we'll probably add one more to them. High end offensive talent is hardest for us to find. It's a shame we missed out on Skinner and Duclair - and Peron - who were available this summer.

Of course if Poehling turns out to be an offensive machine, I'd take him over Galchenyuk. And, really, I choose between the two after askingTimmins to give me a deep and thorough projection of Poehling. If he's not reasonably confident Poehling will be more than a 40-45 point offensive player, I take Galchneyuk, who I project to be a 60-70 point player, minimum in the new NHL. Galchenyuk was top 10 in the league playing with Raduov. I think he could do the same or close to it with Domi or Kotkaniemi as his center.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ah so we could have gotten Domi without trading Galchenyuk in your view.

With the package I proposed, I was trying to illustrate, without a doubt, that we could have gotten Domi without trading Galchenyuk. I would take Galchenyuk over Poehling. I still think our biggest weakness as we build the team, will be high end offensive talent. Timmins will draft the top 4 d. Bergevin will eventually find the bottom pair d. Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Mete, and Reilly is a nice base that will be added to by the likes of Brook, Fleury, Romanov, and Timmins' future picks. KK, Domi, and Danault will be enough at C, but we'll probably add one more to them. High end offensive talent is hardest for us to find. It's a shame we missed out on Skinner and Duclair - and Peron - who were available this summer.

Of course if Poehling turns out to be an offensive machine, I'd take him over Galchenyuk. And, really, I choose between the two after askingTimmins to give me a deep and thorough projection of Poehling. If he's not reasonably confident Poehling will be more than a 40-45 point offensive player, I take Galchneyuk, who I project to be a 60-70 point player, minimum in the new NHL. Galchenyuk was top 10 in the league playing with Raduov. I think he could do the same or close to it with Domi or Kotkaniemi as his center.

Well, yeah anything is possible if everybody is on the table. Habs have a lot to offer at this stage. However, Domi was not being traded for futures IMO and it comes down to circumstance between the two teams.

Yeah, I would of preferred to acquire Domi without using Galchenyuk. But not at a Poehling+ price. I said no to ROR, so why would we have done this for Domi? Cause we could of predicted the future and we know he would be doing what he is currently doing? Come on man

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well, yeah anything is possible if everybody is on the table. Habs have a lot to offer at this stage. However, Domi was not being traded for futures IMO and it comes down to circumstance between the two teams.

Yeah, I would of preferred to acquire Domi without using Galchenyuk. But not at a Poehling+ price. I said no to ROR, so why would we have done this for Domi? Cause we could of predicted the future and we know he would be doing what he is currently doing? Come on man

enough with come on man. I was heavily in favor of getting Domi at the time (this isn't a hind sight interest) - because he just turned 23. That's completely different than getting 27 year old O'Reilly. I was also, unlike this management team, high on Galchenyuk.

If you trade futures for Domi entering his 23 year old season, you're trading futures for futures. Domi has his whole career ahead of him. Poehling will be, minimum, turning 21 in January of his first year in the league (in the scenario where he makes it next year). I have always been in favor of getting high end talent over big centers with 3rd line or borderline 2nd line offensive talent. I am extremely happy with the Kotkaniemi pick, not because he's a big center, but because he's a center with elite, or at the very least legit top line, offense talent. I was always in favor of getting Domi, Skinner, Duclair, and not giving up Galchenyuk , and David Perron this summer, not in hind sight, because I think if you increase the talent pool you will be able to fill your needs. If there were dmen and centers available at the prices these guys were available for I would have preferred them. But they weren't. And, imo it was an aberration, not a reflection of their value. Pacioretty is a winger who had high value - when he shouldn't have had such high value. It was a mistake to value him that high by the market (or at least one GM in the market). Skinner, Domi, Duclair, Perron, and imo Galchenyuk, Tatar, Sheary, and Armia were all under valued in the market this summer. And, I was saying this this summer, not in hind sight. Glad we got Tatar and Armia. But it's like the summer we got Radulov and passed on Staal. Sure it's great we got Radulov, but that doesn't mean I still wasn't screaming at the TV to get Staal at that price. And it's like the summer we got Drouin. Sure it's great we got Drouin, but that doesn't excuse losing Radulov and Markov because there's no money left after you sign Alzner and trade for Schlemko.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad