Post-Game Talk: Canadiens @ Rangers - November 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
And the Rangers had their collective ***** kicked by the Isles in the first three meetings last year. It happens.

Except we've had seasons where we've been able to top the Islanders, and play circles around them.

Look at both Price's and Bishop's record against us in the regular season.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The only positive is that this team honestly got too cocky for a team playing not nearly as great as their record. They've been playing like **** because they just expected to win no matter what. Maybe something will change. Because today in a game this big was unacceptable.

Or they all had massive gas pains after bad clams? Who knows. Everyone looked bad.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Dude. I wish I could vote in a pollto eliminate stars players have won over he season. Everyone looked terrible. They were flubbing passes with no pressure. Lundqvist was letting in scrimmage goals.

This was a complete outlier. I'm not saying they will beat Montreal every night [ahem…or never in the Regular Season], but I would wipe this game off the old menta hard drive for now.

Not an outlier... They've been this bad for 2 weeks now other than Tampa ironically... The defense is crap. Something needs to be done

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Habs would've ran circles around McIlrath IMO. Lack of footspeed and Habs having speedy, skilled wingers doesn't bode too well.

This is the best possible defensive lineup unfortunately.

He should get in the lineup vs. a Western Conference team though.

Boyle does not play like an NHL player anymore. You are putting way too much into match ups. McIlrath is just a better hockey player right now.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Kevin Hayes couldn't make a clean zone entry if the blueline had a metrocard turnstyle.
In his defense those things can be finicky.

Friedman on Sportnets again calling out the Rangers play, and for the whole season, not tonight. It's not just people looking for scapegoats, this team legitimately wins despite itself very often.

pjr378

Oct 12, 2014
Yonkers, New York
If not for Lundqvist, we would've had a lot more games like this already. Obvious things to take from this game:

The existing D corps is not good enough. I still can't believe people are saying that it is. At least 3 of the regular 6 need to be cleared out, but how?

AV's D system has given us trouble at the start of EVERY season he's coached us, which I think makes it more trouble than it's worth.

The coaching staff, McDonagh (sorry to say), and A's are not getting us up for big games like they need to. For how bad we were in every area, what amazed me the most was how we just looked unprepared and unmotivated for this.

Kreider still goes missing for nights at a time. Hayes I think will be a good player for us but he's still very raw. Miller is a very dumb hockey player.

I seriously think our record distorts the big problems we have with our roster. I think we're good enough in the forward positions and (obviously) in goal. We need to find a way of getting the 3 stooges (Girardi, Staal, and Boyle) out of here and replaced by some good puckhandling Dmen. All 3 can't go at one time, so I would start with the age (Boyle) and try getting rid of the worst performer of the 3 (Staal). But again, how do you set about doing that?

Absolute debacle tonight. No one played well.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Seriously, Sather gave a BIG **** you to the Rangers when he gave the scrubs Girardi and Staal NMCs and let Stralman walk. What a piece of work. Completely decimated our defense and IMO ended any hopes we have of winning a cup. I will go out on a limb and say that as long as half the defense is Staal, Girardi, and Boyle we're not winning ****. I'm just upset because I don't feel like it was just a bad game, I feel like we were completely exposed.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Seriously, Sather gave a BIG **** you to the Rangers when he gave the scrubs Girardi and Staal NMCs and let Stralman walk. What a piece of work. Completely decimated our defense and IMO ended any hopes we have of winning a cup. I will go out on a limb and say that as long as half the defense is Staal, Girardi, and Boyle we're not winning ****. I'm just upset because I don't feel like it was just a bad game, I feel like we were completely exposed.

OK, we heard you.

Contract management is the biggest test for the front office now.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

This is nuts. We've been one of the most dominant teams for a decade.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Letting Stralman walk in hindsight was a complete and utter blunder.

Granted, not so much hindsight. A lot of us (me included) thought it was a bad move, and it's turned out to be.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A lot of deficiencies we've had this season came back tonight, and Lundqvist wasn't in absolute God mode. That's what that looks like.

Clean up the coverage in the D zone. Move on. 16-4-2. Luckily, we've built ourselves a lot of leeway in terms of a cushion for the rest of the year. Why this team needs continue learning how to play in their own zone despite having the same coach and core in place since 2013 is beyond me, but here we are.

Two big wins this weekend, and no one remembers this game.

A good post. I think we need a little bit more back pressure from our forwards to be honest.

The first goal was just ****ed. Leave the puck in the neutral zone and change lines was a recipe for disaster to a team that knows how to counterattack quickly like Montreal.

The team wasn't great. Henrik wasn't great. We lost. It was a **** game. Need to clean up a bit and work harder. Have to move on though. We're going go have a real stinker every once in a while.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This is nuts. We've been one of the most dominant teams for a decade.

We've been a mediocre team that barely made the playoffs most of the last 10 years. And I don't see how a team with half the D being ECHL worthy can win the cup. They'll maybe make the ECF again and will probably get their 100+, maybe even 110+, but the defense has been terrible and today they were worse than that. They need a serious overhaul. This defense was sheltered by a goal that had one of the best 20 games I've ever seen played in the position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad