Post-Game Talk: Canadiens lose 3-0 to Leafs

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Interesting that Weal took 9 draws vs 5 for Kotkaniemi.

I was busy with other things while the game was on, but noticed after a few of Weal's draws, Kotka stayed on the wing (not just drop and switch).

With Suzuki's strong play in the middle, i wouldn't be surprised if we see Domi - Danault - Suzuki down the middle.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Ouellet, Alzner, Reilly and Folin are horrible D and this is going to be a huge issue this season. I hope Fleury and Brook are ready soon.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I didn't watch the game last night, because I was sleeping, like a human being. So I have some questions.

Was KK better this game, yes or no?

If yes, what did he do better that he wasn't doing in previous games.

If no, what specifically did you want him to improve that he didn't.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I didn't watch the game last night, because I was sleeping, like a human being. So I have some questions.

He was better for sure. Played with alot more urgency as opposed to just coasting around and falling over which has been his MO so far. Showed off a sick wrister that Anderson had trouble with. Still looks weak though, I wonder if it's just poor leverage from playing high?

I also wonder if the added weight hurt his gas tank to start training camp. He's never going to be a speed demon, but if he can play with a high pace, he has the excellent length to be disruptive. Definitely hope we see him again on Saturday, as yesterday was definitely a step in the right direction (though hardly some breakout performance).

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Hardly. Kid doesnt move his feet. He had like two seconds of clarity where he hustled and it lead to a pretty good rush at four on four, but other wise, nah. Also all that lunging forward with his 12 foot stick is irritating me. Youre 6'3 Jeppu, go in there and get that puck, skate a little, do something, stop using your pole to poke things.

Aside from that, theres no offensive confidence in his play. Kid plays like George Parros.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

Yes, he was involved in the play. He took a good shot after a nice (???) breakout by Alzner. He made some subtle passes that moved the play in the right direction. I am worried about his new resolution of shooting more. He's done some low percentage shots a la Gionta so far. (Shot from the boards on the left side of the ice). I'm not sure if his higher involvement is a result of removing some of the rust or from the fact that he played with two players who play with pace and are quite engaged.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

He was better. Was moving his feet more. Using his shot rather than forcing the play. He made some good plays to start breakouts. Implicated physically even though that usually doesn't go super well for him lol.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
The problem is what to do with them. You can’t have all 4 taking space in Laval
Why not? With Olofsson out, you have room for everybody. Ouellet is a AAAA player at this point, Laval can definitely benefit from his presence. Leskinen has room to play too. The only question mark is Sklenicka. I imagine one of Folin, Alzner or Reilly will stay with the Habs.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He was better for sure. Played with alot more urgency as opposed to just coasting around and falling over which has been his MO so far. Showed off a sick wrister that Anderson had trouble with. Still looks weak though, I wonder if it's just poor leverage from playing high?

I also wonder if the added weight hurt his gas tank to start training camp. He's never going to be a speed demon, but if he can play with a high pace, he has the excellent length to be disruptive. Definitely hope we see him again on Saturday, as yesterday was definitely a step in the right direction (though hardly some breakout performance).

I would say, then, that this makes two positive efforts. After Kotkaniemi got smoked by Holl last game, he had a few tentative shifts. But his best work in that game was after the hit. However, still, nothing worked for him. I'm thinking of that triple clutch, and plays just simply not connecting at the end of the second period, but being pretty close. He was finding open guys that game as well, but the play would instantly die. I saw him struggling, which is good, even if it didn't give the results we want just yet.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Hardly. Kid doesnt move his feet. He had like two seconds of clarity where he hustled and it lead to a pretty good rush at four on four, but other wise, nah. Also all that lunging forward with his 12 foot stick is irritating me. Youre 6'3 Jeppu, go in there and get that puck, skate a little, do something, stop using your pole to poke things.

Aside from that, theres no offensive confidence in his play. Kid plays like George Parros.

Yeah, but you liked Dylan Cozens so...sorry, not sorry, left swipe.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I would say, then, that this makes two positive efforts. After Kotkaniemi got smoked by Holl last game, he had a few tentative shifts. But his best work in that game was after the hit. However, still, nothing worked for him. I'm thinking of that triple clutch, and plays just simply not connecting at the end of the second period, but being pretty close. He was finding open guys that game as well, but the play would instantly die. I saw him struggling, which is good, even if it didn't give the results we want just yet.
While it's been a very disappointing camp for him, at least he's trending in the right direction. He still is a work in progress though for sure, and the idea of him "breaking out" this year is definitely not happening. He simply just doesn't have the speed/strength combo still to create space for himself, and thus is constantly in check. I think his "upside" this year in on the PP where he'll have space and can use his skills in the half court style offence.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
While it's been a very disappointing camp for him, at least he's trending in the right direction. He still is a work in progress though for sure, and the idea of him "breaking out" this year is definitely not happening. He simply just doesn't have the speed/strength combo still to create space for himself, and thus is constantly in check. I think his "upside" this year in on the PP where he'll have space and can use his skills in the half court style offence.

I'm putting my money on ''european off-season'' as explaining why his showing has been a dud so far. First, there was skinny legs theory. Time for round 2.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Ouellet, Alzner, Reilly and Folin are horrible D and this is going to be a huge issue this season. I hope Fleury and Brook are ready soon.
One thing that was clear from last night is the importance that Petry has on the fortunes of this team. Without him playing , the mobility of our defence reverted to the pathetic version of two years ago. Without elite forwards, you need mobile defence to initiate and support your offence in today’s NHL. Without Petry, the Leafs had no respect for our defence’s mobility and forechecked us to death. Few , if any of our defence, had the skating ability to avoid the forecheck or create time and space to make a crisp outlet pass. The Leaf players had an easy and enjoyable night. Everyone loves playing against a slow defence. The talk of trading Petry is complete nonsense.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'm putting my money on ''european off-season'' as explaining why his showing has been a dud so far. First, there was skinny legs theory. Time for round 2.
I'm hoping he's just been "managing" his minutes due to decreased cardio from the increased weight- like a fighter moving up a weight class, having the additional weight on is an adjustment. And now he's starting to get his hockey wind back to where he can unleash his new found powerful skating stride just in time for the season. Unlikely as it may be, it is a possible outcome.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm hoping he's just been "managing" his minutes due to decreased cardio from the increased weight- like a fighter moving up a weight class, having the additional weight on is an adjustment. And now he's starting to get his hockey wind back to where he can unleash his new found powerful skating stride just in time for the season. Unlikely as it may be, it is a possible outcome.

I could be wrong about this, but I think he hasn't been on the ice at all over the summer. Which both might explain things, and doesn't seem like such a fantastic idea.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
One thing that was clear from last night is the importance that Petry has on the fortunes of this team. Without him playing , the mobility of our defence reverted to the pathetic version of two years ago. Without elite forwards, you need mobile defence to initiate and support your offence in today’s NHL. Without Petry, the Leafs had no respect for our defence’s mobility and forechecked us to death. Few , if any of our defence, had the skating ability to avoid the forecheck or create time and space to make a crisp outlet pass. The Leaf players had an easy and enjoyable night. Everyone loves playing against a slow defence. The talk of trading Petry is complete nonsense.

Meh, it's not that much that Petry was out.
It's the result of Petry being out AND Alzner + Ouellet + Reilly were in. The later 3 are subtraction by addition.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I could be wrong about this, but I think he hasn't been on the ice at all over the summer. Which both might explain things, and doesn't seem like such a fantastic idea.
He did have some sort of knee surgery, right? But ya, looks a litle rusty out there, and not a good look for a young player who should be living on the ice and in the weight room.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If this is true, its one of the stupidest thing Ive heard. How does this kind of crap happen? Anybody even monitoring the kids training? Frustrating.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Meh, it's not that much that Petry was out.
It's the result of Petry being out AND Alzner + Ouellet + Reilly were in. The later 3 are subtraction by addition.

Not having Kulak in also hurts the D's mobility. Reilly and Folin may have also played their way out of starting spots or roster spots though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad