Post-Game Talk: Canadiens lose 3-0 to Leafs

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Not having Kulak in also hurts the D's mobility. Reilly and Folin may have also played their way out of starting spots or roster spots though.

I mean, Julien dressed four of his worse Dman. Of course the Ds looked like shit.
And in a ideal world neither Reilly or Folin would be placed in a position where they can actually compete for a regular spot on the team.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He did have some sort of knee surgery, right? But ya, looks a litle rusty out there, and not a good look for a young player who should be living on the ice and in the weight room.

If this is true, its one of the stupidest thing Ive heard. How does this kind of crap happen? Anybody even monitoring the kids training? Frustrating.

The famous Rautala training group doesn't do any on ice training, I think. It's common in Europe. One of our finnish posters was lamenting this and saying that Barkov really took off when he spent an off-season with a figure skating coach.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The famous Rautala training group doesn't do any on ice training, I think. It's common in Europe. One of our finnish posters was lamenting this and saying that Barkov really took off when he spent an off-season with a figure skating coach.
Kotkaniemi doesnt train with Rautala though? Get him the hell out of there if its true though.

But looking at things, a lot of Finns have below average skating and this would be reason. Specificity is so important in strength training.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Interesting that Weal took 9 draws vs 5 for Kotkaniemi.

I was busy with other things while the game was on, but noticed after a few of Weal's draws, Kotka stayed on the wing (not just drop and switch).

With Suzuki's strong play in the middle, i wouldn't be surprised if we see Domi - Danault - Suzuki down the middle.

It is happening as predicted. One can't escape his fate. :sarcasm:

Chippy11

We have a Hulk
Jun 2, 2015
I couldn’t catch the game due to the always pleasant blackouts (seriously outrages, you pay so much money for sports but hey, we’ll just black out 3/4) anyway, I saw the condensed game. Some very poor outings from what I saw.
We can’t start the season with a bottom pair of Alzner/Folin. Folin is actually worst than Alzner.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Kotkaniemi doesnt train with Rautala though? Get him the hell out of there if its true though.

But looking at things, a lot of Finns have below average skating and this would be reason. Specificity is so important in strength training.

No, he doesn't. But there was no footage of him on ice (we have footage of him training though), he had a knee surgery, there were no tournaments that he participated in. This is maybe a false memory so someone should check, but I thought I heard him say in a training camp interview that this was the first time on the ice in a while.

They also do this style of training in Sweden and Swedes typically don't have skating issues (the odd one does, but). In fact, all of the MODO kids skate like the wind.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Put me on the VIP list please. I’ve got a bottle of Captain Morgan, private stock, just waiting for that glorious day. I’m taking the next day off work, and I’m going to drink myself into a pleasant oblivion, watching this clip every hour.

I think Molson should hire Brown for a single day to take care of the problem he is too scared to do.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No, he doesn't. But there was no footage of him on ice (we have footage of him training though), he had a knee surgery, there were no tournaments that he participated in. This is maybe a false memory so someone should check, but I thought I heard him say in a training camp interview that this was the first time on the ice in a while.

They also do this style of training in Sweden and Swedes typically don't have skating issues (the odd one does, but). In fact, all of the MODO kids skate like the wind.
Its really odd. Nothing like skating to get you skating faster.

I recall he said he didnt skate enough, not sure about not at all.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Because the game evolves and nowadays 18-19 years old physically mature player is no longer a rare thing. For some it takes longer. Simple as that. Playing with Tatar and Gally wouldn't make KK any faster, stronger or agile. He needs time.
That really does not answer anything I raised.
No matter how mature a kid is, nobody enters the NHL as ready as they'll be. They will develop. Even guys like Crosby and Ovechkin, as massively talented and ready they were to be in the NHL, they still needed development. Their rookie-selves have nothing to do with who they are today.
So on a guy like KK, he'll need even more time. And btw, he was perfectly fine last year, a year younger.
So again, this “NHL is not a developmental league” idea is totally bogus.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Okay that explains the lack of physical skills. What about his lack of hockey IQ on the ice. Did he gain 10 lbs between his ears in the offseason? He needs to go to the AHL.
Having to carry 15lbs extra affects everything. His movement, speed, balance, coordination, all of which will highly influence his game. So hes slower to reacted, which impacts his decision making. Not to mention, his confidence, which again, will highly influence his game.
It's all connected man. Just like connective tissues inside your body. You can have lower back pain, and you spend countless hours stretching your back not knowing the probably is actually generating from your calves.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Its really odd. Nothing like skating to get you skating faster.

I recall he said he didnt skate enough, not sure about not at all.
I discussed training during the summer and the general lack of oversight.
Players are given certain directives and expected to follow up on them. To me, KK needed to perfect his hockey skills, bulking up was the last thing I thought he needed to do. Natural growth would take care of that by itself, at most, get him to eat more to add 5lbs. A 15lbs add didnt sound like a smart thing. In order to gain that much, you know as much as I do, he likely spent a tone of time in the gym on strength/hypertrophy training, not really what he needed.
There is no way you can adapt to carrying an extra 15lbs of weight over 2 months.

Jul 6, 2016
Players are given certain directives and expected to follow up on them. To me, KK needed to perfect his hockey skills, bulking up was the last thing I thought he needed to do. Natural growth would take care of that by itself, at most, get him to eat more to add 5lbs. A 15lbs add didnt sound like a smart thing. In order to gain that much, you know as much as I do, he likely spent a tone of time in the gym on strength/hypertrophy training, not really what he needed.
There is no way you can adapt to carrying an extra 15lbs of weight over 2 months.

Julien has already said it. KK did not gain 15 pounds since the end of last season, but since te beginning of last season.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Julien has already said it. KK did not gain 15 pounds since the end of last season, but since te beginning of last season.
Well that doesn't make much sense as players do not gain weight during the season. It's common knowledge they lose as the season progress as they do way less lifting, and way more cardiovascular work (ie skating).
The amount of calories this kid would have to assimilate in order to gain weight while skating and practicing 1-2x per day pretty much 6 days per week would be remarkably high, it just doesn't make sense.
Julien can say as he wants, this is my field of expertize so unless I see it myself, I'm gonna call BS on that.
We also would have noticed a significant change in his physical appearance by the end of the year, which nobody ever brought up, not a single person. So ya, the bulk of his weight gain did not happen over the course of last season, no effing way.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I 100% agree. I mean gaining a few pounds from a strength cycle, okay. But hes a hockey player and he needs to be on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad