Post-Game Talk: Canadiens lose 3-0 to Leafs

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Is hudon our best forward? The guy works so hard and has so much skill but what's wrong!?
I was never high on Hudson who has the misfortune of being both small and comparatively slow. But it’s obvious that he’s worked hard on his game and conditioning. He was easily one of Montreal’s most noticeable forwards against a strong Toronto team. I thought I would never say this, but he would be on my team over many of the other bubble player options. But that may well be damning him with the faintest of praise as it speaks to the weakness or lack of quality options available to a team that continues to struggle to raise itself out of the mediocrity it has been mired in for the past three decades.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I was never high on Hudson who had the misfortune of being small and comparatively slow. But it’s obvious that he’s worked hard on his game and conditioning. He was easily one of Montreal’s most noticeable forwards against a strong Toronto team. I thought I would never say this, but he would be on my team over many of the other bubble player options. But that may well be damning him with the faintest of praise as it speaks to the weakness or lack of quality options available to a team that continues to struggle to raise itself out of the mediocrity it has been mired in for the past three decades.

To me it's Cousins or Hudon for the 14th forward spot, if we even keep 14 forwards. Poehling's in the top 12 and Thompson's the 13th forward.

Cousins is more stable than Hudon. Hudon can make things happen offensively, but we're not sure how good he'll be defensively despite his increased speed.

And ultimately, as 14th forward, he'll be sitting a lot. Is that fair to him? Better to have him in the AHL for a call up in case of injury.

Does he make it through waivers? Not sure.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
To me it's Cousins or Hudon for the 14th forward spot, if we even keep 14 forwards. Poehling's in the top 12 and Thompson's the 13th forward.

Cousins is more stable than Hudon. Hudon can make things happen offensively, but we're not sure how good he'll be defensively despite his increased speed.

And ultimately, as 14th forward, he'll be sitting a lot. Is that fair to him? Better to have him in the AHL for a call up in case of injury.

Does he make it through waivers? Not sure.
Cousins or Hudon? Yikes, we've come a long way from the time when Cournoyer couldn't earn ice time from Toe Blake and several languishing Black Aces eventually became major stars. I think the 'problem' is a combination of poor asset management and the effects of the cap age. As for Poehling, I firmly believe that as the season proceeds he will play a much larger and more important role for the Canadiens. He has size and speed, the exact opposite of Hudon. We can all criticize many of the personnel decisions of the current management team. But the drafting of Poehling may well prove to be one of the high water marks of their managerial legacy.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Cousins or Hudon? Yikes, we've come a long way from the time when Cournoyer couldn't earn ice time from Toe Blake and several languishing Black Aces eventually became major stars. I think the 'problem' is a combination of poor asset management and the effects of the cap age. As for Poehling, I firmly believe that as the season proceeds he will play a much larger and more important role for the Canadiens. He has size and speed, the exact opposite of Hudon. We can all criticize many of the personnel decisions of the current management team. But the drafting of Poehling may well prove to be one of the high water marks of their managerial legacy.

I'm on the same page about Poehling. The question is where will he play...

But Cousins or Hudon as the 14th forward, not even the 13th forward, but the 14th, isn't an indication of a problem with a team's forwards corps.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I'm on the same page about Poehling. The question is where will he play...

But Cousins or Hudon as the 14th forward, not even the 13th forward, but the 14th, isn't an indication of a problem with a team's forwards corps.

It's all in your definition of what constitutes a problem. Successful organizations have quality depth who can push current roster players who are exhibiting stagnant or declining production or who can provide assets that can be used to acquire players that can improve the trading team either immediately or long term . Neither Cousins nor Hudon have much market value and are lesser players than any current players on the roster who they would be replacing. So yes, this lack of quality depth is a problem on a team that is hoping to become competitive.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad