Rumor: Canadiens informed Pacioretty they will not negotiate a contract extension with him

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
This seems like a very odd way of running a business. Assuming the reporter is accurate here, why would the team take this stance publicly? What if Max took a bargain deal to stay? Not saying he would but to just come out and publicly say your done with one of your players obviously destroys his trade value and pigeon holes you into letting him walk for nothing. Stupid stupid decision making going on.

Everyone and their mother knew that Patch was on the market. Making it public doesn't change anything.

They had plenty of time to talk contract extension with Patch. They know what he wants and he's certainly not going to take a bargain deal when he was paid only 4.5 mil in his last contract.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Amazing to see things stoop so low for both Montreal and Ottawa, in such a short amount of time. It's like they're racing eachother to be the worst-run team in Canada.

How does trading a 29 years old winger who will want a big contract make the habs stoop low?

SteadyFreddie

Jun 11, 2018
We're loaded with Johnsson, Kapanen, Hyman, Marleau and Brown. Pacioretty is an upgrade on all of them.
He may be, but why would the leafs give up a package such as their 2019 first, and Kapanen for 1 year of Pacioretty? It doesn't make any sense at all.

Dabruins

Mar 15, 2003
Canada
Everyone and their mother knew that Patch was on the market. Making it public doesn't change anything.

They had plenty of time to talk contract extension with Patch. They know what he wants and he's certainly not going to take a bargain deal when he was paid only 4.5 mil in his last contract.

So you think a team letting it be known there moving on from a player they're currently trying to trade is a good move?

Reactions: Flukeshot

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
How does trading a 29 years old winger who will want a big contract make the habs stoop low?

As others have said, I'm just reiterating that they've fallen on hard times in recent years. This obviously doesn't help, when a team that already has trouble scoring loses the player who is supposed to be the top scorer and also the team captain. Not a great look. :laugh:

Also probably isn't a good idea to torpedo your leverage by going public with this. Nothing screams high value like saying "hey guys, just so you know, we don't want to resign our captain. any takers"?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't know if this will really hurt anything as it's been quite apparent for quite some time now. However, why not trade him last year? Get better value. It's now July 10th and teams are starting to finalize their rosters. Waiting until the trade deadline isn't exactly the best either, you then risk him getting hurt.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
If this is true.

I don't even know... I understand full tanks but at least get value back... unfathomable...

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
Paccioretty to the devils in exchange for Pavel Zacha, Blake Speers,and 2019 2nd round pick.
The Canadiens will get 2 young centers in return and a high draft pick.
The devils can have a goal scorer who needs a change of scenery. Devils line looks like this
1. Hall Hischier Palmeiri
2. Paccioretty McLeod Johansson
3. Coleman Zajac Noesen
4. Wood Boyle Bratt

Reactions: Frank Drebin

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
A teams' captain with 1 year left...what are the Lightning giving up for him?

Assuming this was made public because trade talks died.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Paccioretty to the devils in exchange for Pavel Zacha, Blake Speers,and 2019 2nd round pick.
The Canadiens will get 2 young centers in return and a high draft pick.
The devils can have a goal scorer who needs a change of scenery. Devils line looks like this
1. Hall Hischier Palmeiri
2. Paccioretty McLeod Johansson
3. Coleman Zajac Noesen
4. Wood Boyle Bratt

i honestly was just going to right i feel like a random team like New jersey would jump in... Not realy high on your trade proposal but i realy feel like new jersey will secretly pop out of nowhere!

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad